Sport in Museums Network Conference, Bursaries, Journal and Education Pack

Mike Heyworth <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 2 Oct 2015 12:18:16 +0100

From: Justine Reilly [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 02 October 2015 11:51
Subject: Sport in Museums Network Conference, Bursaries, Journal and
Education Pack

Please find information below about the current Sport in Museums Network
programme which may be of interest.

1. Conference: Why does sporting heritage matter?

Nottingham, 11th February 2016.

Why does sporting heritage matter? Our next conference examines the role and
impact of sport in museums. It aims to use the day as a focus point for
understanding more about why sporting heritage, and its delivery through
different organisations including museums, is both important in and of
itself, but also how it impacts on wider agendas for example health,
education, and sports participation.

For more information about the event, our call for contributors, or to book
a place, please visit the conference website at
https://impactofsportingheritage.wordpress.com/.

2. Mentoring programme - apply for funding: Applications close 6th November
2015.

The Sport in Museums Network is currently investigating how to better
support those working in, or wishing to work in, the field of sport in
museums or wider sporting heritage. One of the strands of work aims to
understand the benefits of a mentor / mentee relationship.
As a consequence, the network is able to offer up to 12 bursary's of up to
£250 to support the creation of a mentoring partnership with a focus on
sport in museums, sporting collections, or wider sporting heritage. The
applicant does need to work in a formal heritage organisation.
The funding is for the sole purpose of the knowledge, support and
information exchange from one party to the other in connection with sport in
museums and associated collections. For more information, or to request an
application form, email [log in to unmask]

3. New Sport in Museums Education Pack: Launched to celebrate National
Sporting Heritage Day

Sport in Museums, and wider sporting heritage, is a key tool to support
teaching and learning and deliver the national curriculum. To help support
schools, teachers and other learning professionals use sporting collections
and sporting history within their delivery, the Sport in Museums Network has
created an education pack.

We're working with the Department for Education to ensure that as many
schools as possible are able to access the pack, available free to download
from our website at www.nationalsportsmuseumonline.org.uk, and we'll be
highlighting it to teachers at the upcoming education show in Manchester
this December.

4. Sport in Museums Journal - pilot programme: Call for contributions

As part of our development programme over the next three years. We are
investigating the potential to deliver a Sport in Museums Journal. At this
stage, the journal will be very light touch and aims to understand if there
is an appetite for both contributing and reading the journal.
As a pilot programme, and to complement the theme of our forthcoming
conference, this edition will focus on the impact of sport in museums and
wider sporting heritage. In the first instance the journal will be
downloadable for free. The contents will be drawn from across the sector and
it is hoped as many people as possible will contribute. As a result, we are
already looking for contributions! If you would like to submit an article,
please ensure it is no more than 1500 words and include the following
information:

• Your contact details
• Your organisation (where relevant)
• Article title
• Focus of the article - What did you do? why did you do it? what was the
impact? on who, how and why? did it change practices? do you have any follow
up plans? was the activity evaluated?
• Images! If at all possible, and please confirm that you have permission
for us to use them in the journal

Email your article to [log in to unmask] by 5pm on the 11th
December 2015.

For any questions or comment about the programme, please get in touch

Many thanks

Dr Justine Reilly
Sport in Museums Network

*Apologies for cross-posting*