Re: Design, Design Thinking, and more

Harold Nelson <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 3 Jul 2015 15:56:46 -0600

text/plain

Don’s reply to Erik hints at an important issue in the quest to discover more about design. Don’s point that it takes multiple types of design experts (those who claim the domain name design for their own) all working together is an important one. In any complex design project there are more than just experts involved making challenge even greater. There are a large variety of people, in a wide variety of roles who feel they have a vested interest in what is taken into account and what emerges from any particular design process. When collaboration is required or desired among a diverse group of people it is essential that everyone is standing on common ground when it comes to knowing what terms mean and what ’standards’ are in play.

It doesn’t matter if the understanding is universal or general but it is essential that it is particular to the group, time and situation. What happens too often is that individual designers assume that terms such as design or research have a common meanings or should have a common meanings. Individual design projects are approached with little or no self-reflection about beliefs and assumptions held by each individual involved and there is surprise all around when stakeholders, colleagues, citizens et. al. don’t seem to understand or get it. There is a common refrain among academics and practitioners alike that they are tired of the confusion over the term and tired of the endless debates over the meaning of design. This misses an important point.

In design communication and collaboration it is essential to have shared understandings about an ultimate particular situation. It may be practical and interesting to have generalizable understandings but it is essential to have particular understandings about an ultimate particular situation concomitant with universal or general truths that apply.

During the time that the gothic cathedrals were being built there were no standard units of measure. The master builder would lay down a ‘great mark’ from which all construction of a particular cathedral would be measured and proportioned (imagine a design education program that could capacitate new designers with this ability). This provided the common understanding from which a diverse group of different types of craftsmen could work collaboratively. The act of the master builder is a form of reflective ‘self disclosure’—"this is what I believe the measure must be.”

Academics and professionals are too often unreflective. Their extroverted habits of mind built from their beliefs that inquiry needed to be objective leaves the inquirer’s beliefs, values, understandings, assumptions, prejudices etc. undisclosed. Arguments break out over what objective understanding is true rather than what individual understandings are shared and how do common understandings become the common ground for collaboration and communication.

Design inquiry is communication for action—not just description and explanation (i.e. design research). Design inquiry involves judgments of value, desire, belief etc. which cannot be defined universally a priori. Design inquiry discloses or uncovers values, beliefs etc. in the particular context through dialogue—ideally  through self reflection and disclosure by the designers and others involved. This is supplemental to their objective observations and rational evaluations of a particular situation.

Inquiry into the nature and application of designing behavior needs to be visited anew for every project unless common or collaborative work in the past has led to shared or common ground among the diverse group involved. However there is the old joke about prisoners who had told each other the same joke so often that to save time they gave each joke a number and would just call out a number when they wanted to tell a joke. A new prisoner saw this and called out a number but no one laughed. When he asked why he was informed that he had “told it wrong”.

It is usually the case that even groups with long histories will introduce new members or new stakeholders, in new contexts, so there is always the need to reflect and disclose at each new new design beginning what is assumed, shared etc. The process of sharing dialogue as a means of disclosure is not the same as coming to a definition that can be universalized once and for all. The process of disclosure also helps to reveal who the designers are—in design character counts.
TheDesignWay.net <http://www.thedesignway.net/>

AccidentalVagrant.blogspot.com <http://accidentalvagrant.blogspot.com/>

AdvancedDesignInstitute.blogspot.com/ <http://advanceddesigninstitute.blogspot.com/>

OrganizationalDesignCompetence.com/ <http://organizationaldesigncompetence.com/>