FRIENDSOFWISDOM July 2015

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: My Wakeup

"Maxwell, Nicholas" <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 27 Jul 2015 16:11:51 +0000

text/plain

Dear Percy,

                  It is, in my view, a profound mistake to think that global problems are a consequence of immorality (selfishness, greed, etc.), so that, if only people were more moral, the problems would quickly disappear.  You don't have to be all that moral to care about the welfare of one's children and grandchildren.  It is not, primarily, immorality that is the problem, but impotence.  Most people, I think, feel profoundly impotent before the march of history, the course of public events.  What we urgently need is new or modified institutions and social arrangements that enable us to do, together, in a coordinated, cooperative fashion, what we need to do to ameliorate our global problems.  What is needed is public learning about what our problems are, and what we need to do about them.  And for that, we need our public institutions of learning to be well designed, rationally designed and devoted for the job.  It is that that we lack.  Our institutions of learning - our universities - are an intellectual disaster when judged from this standpoint.  New kinds of cooperative action cannot get underway without prior cooperative discussion.  It is that that universities ought to be promoting and sustaining, but they are not.  They don't even conceive of their task in that way.  Why not?  Because, as I keep saying, from the past we have inherited this intellectually disastrous conception of inquiry that puts all the emphasis on the acquisition of knowledge, rather than the increasingly cooperatively rational resolving of problems of living.

                  You say " it does not seem possible to me to make much headway in that direction by the rational application of the scientific method to this subject".  But that ignores that it is a much improved and generalized conception of scientific method that I argue we need to employ to help us resolve conflicts and problems of living.  And of course what we seek to develop and assess are not theories or claims to knowledge, but proposals for action, policies, plans, possible social arrangements and actions, ways of living, philosophies of life.  And "experience" means not "observation and experiment" but what we feel and suffer when we put policies into action.

                In an as-yet unpublished work I put it like this:-

   "We need to get the aim-improving methods of AOR [Aim-Oriented Rationality], arrived at by generalizing AOE [Aim-Oriented Empiricism], into all our worthwhile, problematic endeavours besides science, into government, industry, agriculture, commerce, the media, law, education, international relations - and into that great, heart-rending endeavour, in so far as it exists, of groping towards a better, wiser, more enlightened world.

    "AOR is especially relevant when it comes to this last age-old task.  The aim of achieving a civilized, good world is inherently profoundly problematic.  People have very different ideas as to what does constitute civilization.  Most views about what constitutes an ideally civilized society have been unrealizable, undesirable, or both.   People's interests, values and ideals clash.  Even values that, one may hold, ought to be a part of civilization may clash.  Thus

freedom and equality, even though inter-related, may nevertheless clash.  It would be an odd notion of individual freedom which held that freedom was for some, and not for others; and yet if equality is pursued too singlemindedly this will undermine individual freedom, and will even undermine equality, in that a privileged class will be required to enforce equality on the rest, as in the old Soviet Union.  A basic aim of legislation for civilization, we may well hold, ought to be increase freedom by restricting it: this brings out the inherently problematic, paradoxical character of the aim of achieving civilization.

   "Here, above all, AOR - a generalized version of AOE - must be implemented if there is to be any hope whatsoever of making some progress towards a better, wiser world: see diagram 4 for an indication of how AOE, as depicted in diagram 2 on page X, might be generalized and applied to this task.

   "AOR, exploited in personal, social or institutional life, differs in some important respects from AOE, exploited by science in pursuit of knowledge.  In personal and social life, what are critically assessed are not theories, not claims to knowledge, but rather actions and possible actions: plans, proposals for action, policies, political programmes, ways of living, philosophies of life.  These, as in science, are to be assessed in terms of experience and other considerations, but unlike science, in life experience means human experience, what we enjoy and suffer as a result of implementing plans or policies.  The problems we seek to solve in life are problems of living, problems that arise as we seek to achieve what is of value to us in the diverse contexts of life not, in general, problems of knowledge (although a problem of knowledge may, of course, arise as an aspect of a problem of living).  What solves a problem of living is a deed, an action (or a series of actions, or the inhibition of action),  not in general an item of knowledge.  And in life the aim, we may presume, is to realize what is of value in the diverse circumstances of personal and social life - the scientific aim of acquiring knowledge being a very special case.

   "Despite these differences, AOE exploited in science in the pursuit of knowledge, and AOR exploited in personal and social life in the pursuit of what is of value, have crucial structural features in common.  Both require that problematic aims be represented in the form of a hierarchy of aims so that a relatively unproblematic framework of aims and associated methods may be created within which much more specific and problematic aims and associated methods may be developed, tried, assessed, and improved.  Both require that potential solutions to problems be proposed and then critically assessed by means of argument and experience.  Both embody a form of learning by trial and error.  Both facilitate learning about how to learn, there being the possibility of positive feedback between success in achieving goals and improved aims and methods designed to facilitate further such success."

                In order to give ourselves a reasonable chance of making progress towards as good a world as possible we really do need to put something like AOR into practice in our personal, institutional and social lives.  Unfortunately, we have not yet understood the need to do this in science - let alone in life!

                We are suffering from an intellectual blunder, a bad philosophy of inquiry built into our institutions of learning.  It is that which prevents us from learning how to resolve our conflicts and problems of living in increasingly cooperatively rational ways - effectively, humanely and intelligently.  It is the intellectually defective character of our institutions of learning, indeed, which has led to the creation of our global problems in the first place.  Modern science and technology, as I keep saying, have led to much that is good, but have also led to modern industry and agriculture, modern armaments, modern hygiene and medicine, which in turn have led to population growth, the lethal character of modern war, destruction of natural habitats and extinction of species, pollution of earth, sea and air, and above all the impending disasters of climate change.  If we had had in place a kind of academic enterprise which gave intellectual priority to promoting increasingly cooperatively rational tackling of problems of living, and to helping us put Aim-Oriented Rationality into personal and social life, we might still have created all our current global problems - but at least we would have had a kind of inquiry designed to help us resolve them before they defeat us!

                                   Best wishes,

                                             Nick

Website: www.ucl.ac.uk/from-knowledge-to-wisdom

Publications online: http://philpapers.org/profile/17092