Design Research News, July 2015

DAVID DURLING <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 9 Jul 2015 17:09:09 +0100

text/plain

_______________________________________________  _______________
___________________________________________      __  _   _   ___
_________________________________________   ___  __   ___  _____
_________________________________________  ____  __  _____   ___
_________________________________________   ___  __  _______  __
___________________________________________      __  ____    ___

DESIGN RESEARCH NEWS Volume 20 Number 5 July 2015 ISSN 1473-3862
DRS Digital Newsletter      http://www.designresearchsociety.org

Join DRS via e-payment  http://www.designresearchsociety.org

CONTENTS

o   DRS2016 Design + Research + Society | Future Focused Thinking

o   DRS 50th Anniversary Grants

o   IASDR 2015: Interplay

o   Design Studies table of contents

o   Calls

o   Announcements

o   The Design Research Society: information

o   Digital Services of the DRS

o   Subscribing and unsubscribing to DRN

o   Contributing to DRN

DRS2016 DESIGN + RESEARCH + SOCIETY | FUTURE FOCUSED THINKING

50th Anniversary International Design Research Society Conference
27-30 June 2016, Brighton, UK

DETAILED CALL FOR PARTICIPATION

Over the past 50 years design research has established a firm
basis for our understanding of design. For DRS2016 we invite you
to join us in considering how design research can help us address
the problems we face now and the challenges that lie ahead.

Whatever your field of design research we encourage you to
participate, to show the true diversity of our subject area, and
to help us build a conference formed and shaped by the people
that come.

DRS2016 is hosted by the University of Brighton in the UK, in
association with the Royal College of Art and Imperial College,
London (where the very first meeting of the Design Research
Society was held in 1966). The conference week will give you the
chance to experience the energy and creativity of the dynamic
city of Brighton.

CALL FOR PAPERS

DRS2016 invites new and challenging paper submissions from any
area or discipline of design research. We embrace research
looking at and using design in the widest possible sense with
interdisciplinary work and work responding to the conference
themes particularly encouraged.

CENTRAL THEMES FOR DRS2016

(1) Future-Focused Thinking:

Papers, case studies, or designs that anticipate developments in
one or more of the three areas of Design, Research and Society.

(2) Papers critically engaging with our key conference questions:

How can design research help frame and address the societal
problems that face us?

How can design research be a creative and active force for
rethinking ideas about Design?

How can design research shape our lives in more responsible,
meaningful, and open ways?

(3) 50 Years of Design Research:

Papers looking critically at key contributors and contributions
over the past 50 years of Design Research.

THE DRS SPECIAL INTEREST GROUP THEMES

Experiential Knowledge (EKSIG)

Wellbeing and Happiness (SIGWELL)

Design Pedagogy (PedSIG)

Objects, Practices, Experiences, Networks (OPENSIG)

Inclusive Design (Inclusive SIG)

Sustainable Design (Sustainability SIG)

Design for Behaviour Change (Behaviour Change SIG)

Design Management (DM SIG)

Design for Tangible, Embedded and Networked Technologies
(TENTSIG)

Further details about SIG themes will follow.

SUBMISSION

Papers should be up to 5000 words, including abstracts and
references, and should adhere to the conference paper submission
guidelines, available in August on the conference website.

We also seek more experimental submissions (full papers) for
design research that might, for example, include a textual
narrative alongside more visually-oriented, time-based, or
networked material. The document format should still form the
basis of such a submission, with reference to large media files
made through weblinks.

All submissions must be in the English language.

The online submission system will be open from 1st September 2015
and full papers must be submitted by 9th November 2015.

**IMPORTANT: THERE WILL BE NO EXTENSIONS TO THIS DEADLINE**

Review for DRS2016 is by full papers only.

ADDITIONAL THEME SESSIONS

To capitalize on emerging research networks, as well as existing
networks not already covered by SIG areas, we welcome proposals
for further theme sessions of full papers related to any area of
design research. These sessions will be managed individually by
sub-chairs as part of the general paper submission and final
programme. Sub-chairs will be responsible for identifying and
allocating reviewers and curating conference sessions.

Proposals should consist of a title, a proposed sub-chair for the
session, a list of 2-3 key people who will oversee the review
process for theme submissions, a theme context and outline (up to
250 words), and a small number of references to indicate theme
scope.

To allow us to publicize additional themes prior to the
full-paper deadline, theme session proposals should be submitted
to [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> on or before the
deadline of July 27th 2015.

Theme session proposals will be reviewed by a subset of the
programme committee with sub-chairs informed of outcomes within
two weeks of the deadline. Successful proposals will be
publicized on the website as part of the conference call.

Submissions for successful theme sessions will take place via the
online submission system along with standard paper submissions.

CONVERSATIONS AND EXPERIMENTAL SESSIONS

Submissions for structured discussions, experimental sessions and
workshop formats that advance conversation around emergent forms
of design research will form part of DRS2016. As with DRS2014
these sessions have been conceived as alternatives to the
traditional paper/presentation format to provide innovative
venues for project-based research and work that is not easily
captured or conveyed by the scholarly paper. Further details
about the submission of proposals for conversations and
experimental sessions will follow in the coming months with
deadlines in February 2016.

PHD BY DESIGN EVENT

PhD By Design will hold a one-day event at DRS2016 to vocalise,
discuss and work through some of the many issues of conducting a
practice-based PhD in Design. This event will be made up of
informal presentations of work as an opportunity to explore what
the future holds for practice-based PhDs. It will bring together
designers undertaking practice-based doctoral research, as well
as supervisors, MRes students, and MPhil students within and
outwith Design Departments. On the day we will produce an Instant
Journal documenting discussions and outcomes and available during
the conference.

Contact details and Information about past events is available
at: http://www.phdbydesign.com

PhD by Design registration details will be available in November
2015.

TIMETABLE TO DRS2016

Deadline for additional theme sessions: 27th July 2015
Submission system opens: 1st September 2015
Deadline for full papers: 9th November 2015
Notification of accepted papers: 10th February 2016
Deadline for full paper revisions: 29th February 2016
Final acceptance of borderline papers: 11 March 2016
Conference Dates: 28th-30th June 2016

PEER REVIEW

This is a general design research conference and it is expected
that a wide variety of work and projects will be reported.
Irrespective of the range and stage of your research, we expect
the highest standards of scholarship and clarity in terms of
establishing context, explicating methods of inquiry, and
reporting results. Papers will be selected through a double blind
review process conducted by an international review panel.

Our aim is to increase the quality of peer reviewing for DRS2016.
The review process for each sub-theme of the conference will be
managed separately by a sub-chair who will oversee the peer
review process of around 20 submissions. This will involve
allocating reviewers, resolving any conflicts, and making
recommendations to the overall DRS2016 review committee. Authors
will have an opportunity to evaluate the reviews they receive,
which sub-chairs will factor into making their final
recommendations.

CONFERENCE PRESENTATION AND PROCEEDINGS

Authors of accepted papers are expected to attend and present
their work at the conference in one of a number of formats.
Papers of exceptional quality (as judged by reviewers) will be
presented with discussants and where appropriate papers may be
accepted as posters and allocated to sessions with shorter time
slots.

All accepted papers will be published in the online conference
proceedings and be available to view approximately one month
before the beginning of the conference. This is intended to
stimulate debate prior to the conference and help to facilitate
deeper interaction during the conference.

CONTACT

Any queries about the conference should be directed to:

Conference website: http://www.drs2016.org

For regular updates follow us on Twitter:
twitter.com/drs2016uk<http://twitter.com/drs2016uk>

The Design Research Society is a multi-disciplinary learned
society for the design research community worldwide. DRS was
founded in 1966, and since then has established a record of
significant achievements in contributing to design knowledge.

You can visit the DRS website at:
http://www.designresearchsociety.org

DRS 50th ANNIVERSARY GRANTS

As part of the Design Research Society 50th Anniversary
Celebrations, we want to support research which furthers our
understanding of the origins of design research, as well as the
role and contribution the DRS has played in its development.

We are also interested in thought-provoking pieces which
recognise the past and anticipate the future of the field, to
stimulate debate and discussion at the 2016 DRS conference
(http://www.drs2016.org).

Up to four proposals of GBP 1,000 will be awarded. The
application form provides further details about the criteria for
the grants and information about the reviewing process.

Application forms can be downloaded at:

http://tinyurl.com/nvkk4bk

The deadline for submission is Friday 31st July 2015.

IASDR 2015 INTERPLAY
Brisbane, Australia

2-15 NOVEMBER 2015:

IASDR2015 IS CALLING FOR THE FOLLOWING PROPOSALS:

Doctoral Colloquium: 31 July 2015

More information: http://www.iasdr2015.com

CONTENTS OF DESIGN STUDIES

DESIGN STUDIES is the interdisciplinary journal of design
research, published by Elsevier in cooperation with the Design
Research Society

Volume 39, July 2015

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/journal/0142694X/39

Dissolving the problem of the absent artifact: Design
representations as means for counterfactual understanding and
knowledge generalisation
Dingmar van Eck
Pages 1-18

Sketching sounds  Kinds of listening and their functions in
designing
Arne Nykanen, Johnny Wingstedt, Johan Sundhage, Peter Mohlin
Pages 19-47

Emergence patterns for client design requirements
Anders Haug
Pages 48-69

Fixation or inspiration? A meta-analytic review of the role of
examples on design processes
Ut Na Sio, Kenneth Kotovsky, Jonathan Cagan
Pages 70-99

Machine learning classification of design team members' body
language patterns for real time emotional state detection
Ishan Behoora, Conrad S. Tucker
Pages 100-127

CALLS

21-23 March 2016: DESIGNING AROUND PEOPLE

8th CAMBRIDGE WORKSHOP ON UNIVERSAL ACCESS AND ASSISTIVE
TECHNOLOGY
Fitzwilliam College, Cambridge

Designing Around People is the eighth of a series of workshops
started in 2002 that represent the inclusive design community.
CWUAAT is a unique multi-disciplinary workshop, where designers,
computer scientists, engineers, architects, ergonomists,
ethnographers, policymakers and user communities meet.

In the context of developing demographic changes leading to
greater numbers of older people and people with disabilities, the
general field of inclusive design research strives to relate the
capabilities of the population to the design of products.
Inclusive populations of older people contain a greater variation
in sensory, cognitive and physical user capabilities. These
variations may be co-occurring and rapidly changing, leading to a
demanding design environment. Inclusive Design Research involves
developing methods, technologies, tools and guidance for
supporting product designers and architects to design for the
widest possible population for a given range of capabilities,
within a contemporary social and economic context. Recent
developments have seen a wider demand for the techniques of
inclusive interface design, particularly as a result of
situational impairment in Human machine Interfaces for demanding
workload applications such as Automotive and Aerospace.

We seek original research papers describing investigations within
the following broad categories: Call for Participation

1. RECONCILING USABILITY, ACCESSIBILITY AND INCLUSIVE DESIGN
2. DESIGNING INCLUSIVE ASSISTIVE AND REHABILITATION SYSTEMS
3. MEASURING PRODUCT DEMAND AND PEOPLES CAPABILITIES
4. DESIGNING COGNITIVE INTERACTION WITH EMERGING TECHNOLOGIES
5. DESIGNING INCLUSIVE ARCHITECTURE: BUILDINGS AND SPACES
6. DATA MINING AND VISUALISING INCLUSION : USER PROFILING
7. LEGISLATION, STANDARDS AND POLICY IN INCLUSIVE DESIGN
8. SITUATIONAL INCLUSIVE INTERFACES: AUTOMOTIVE AND AEROSPACE

Deadline for submission of long and short papers, poster
abstracts: 15 August, 2015

Notification of paper acceptance: 30 September, 2015

Deadline for camera-ready version of accepted papers: 31 October,
2015

Author and early academic registrations by 15 and 31 December,
2015

Student and late academic registrations by 15 February, 2016

CWUAAT Workshop: 21-23 March, 2016

Accepted long papers (6-10 pages) will be published as chapters
of a book by Springer-Verlag, UK as part of the Inclusive Design
hardback book series. Poster and Short papers (1-2 pages
abstract, 3-4 pages for camera-ready copy), will be published
separately in the official conference proceedings. Paper format
details are available on the conference web site. All papers will
be peer reviewed and the accepted long papers will be presented
during the workshop. The best papers will be invited to a special
issue of a Journal.

More information, and electronic submission of papers will be
available via the conference web-site:

http://www-edc.eng.cam.ac.uk/cwuaat

16-17 October 2015: REASSEMBLING RELATIONSHIPS: PEOPLE, SYSTEMS,
THINGS

12th Annual Conference of the German Society for Design Theory and
Research (DGTF) Venue: University of Applied Sciences Potsdam
(Fachhochschule Potsdam, FHP)

In a growing state of omnipresent connectivity, it seems that
anything can be potentially connected  anytime, anywhere. We are
embedded in a myriad of mundane socio-technical alliances, as
humans and non-humans ceaselessly correspond and perform.
Therefore, the urgency arises to raise the question: What
relationships do we enter in to with our fellow agents, what new
positions do we find ourselves in?

In an age of the internet-of-things, the technical-material
objects that are embedded in our everyday lives are acting,
enacting and performing for, with, and through us. They are
suddenly knowing, learning, evaluating, predicting - and
constantly at work. In this sphere of hyperconnectivity, wireless
sensor networks, RFID chips, cloud services and
machine-to-machine interfaces are already at play. Technologies
with lengthly names such as sensor-driven decision analytics and
instantaneous control and response complex autonomous systems are
being envisioned, developed and implemented. Governments,
academia and industry discuss the potential production of
zettabytes, yottabytes, and geopbytes of data, as sensors and
chips find their homes in our coffee machines, knitted sweaters,
pets, buildings and cities.

This new dimension of connecting the physical and the digital
world promises to solve some of the most daunting problems that
we have. From the personal to the public, these developments
allegedly provide possibilities to optimise and enhance most
things at most levels. However, from smart phones to smart
drones, this interweaving of technologies into the fabric of our
lives provides us with a pressing call to reformulate our
relationship with objects themselves. It raises questions such as
do these objects just help us to organise ourselves, or do they
help us judge and feel? Are we still at the centre of the social
algorithm, or do we become the batteries of the gadgets? In a
society where we begin to speak about open-source governance and
feminist servers, will we find new solidarities - build new
communities? Perhaps we must soon begin to raise discussions
about "technocommunism", "moral algorithms" and "object-mediated
democracy" - about human-nonhuman socially and politically
co-mediated worlds.

We invite practical, empirical and theoretical perspectives from
all design disciplines, as well as from Computer Sciences (HCI),
Science and Technology Studies, Humanities and related fields.
From utopian to dystopian visions and realities: We invite
perspectives on the role of design in all of this, on new forms
of negotiation with and through things, and on what new
analytical frameworks this calls for as we further embark in to
these technically mediated futures.

Topics of interest include:

New positions: Hyperobjects, Boundary Objects, Hybrids, Cyborgs
 and more

New relationships: In/dependence, un/regulated, in/discipline,
 un/certainty etc.

New dialogues: Things-to-things, things-to-people,
 things-to-systems, systems-to-systems

Abstracts of max. 1500 words (for 15 minute presentations) and a
professional/scientific biography can be submitted until July
13th 2015 to [log in to unmask] Please note that the conference will be
held in German and English, we will not be able to provide
simultaneous translation.

Please note the important dates:

13 July: Submission of full papers
31 August: Notification of acceptance
31 August: Conference Registration opens
16/17 October: Conference and DGTF Annual General Meeting

Feel free to contact Malte Bergmann for all questions:

http://www.dgtf.de/tagungen/english

5-7 November 2015: UAAC-AAUC 2015 ANNUAL CONFERENCE

Call for Papers for the UAAC-AAUC 2015 Annual Conference, hosted
this year at NSCAD University in Halifax, Nova Scotia.

Session Title: Design Critique in the Age of Environmentalism:
The Plurality of Perspectives on Criticism

How is the growing imperative of environmentalism changing the
way public places and spaces are perceived, described, and judged
today? In the 1960s, the drive towards holistic approaches of
public and individual human settlements gave rise to the idea of
environmental design as a means to transcend the boundaries
between various design disciplines (architecture, landscape,
urban). This form of environmentalism started to shift in the
1970s towards an ecological ideology characterized by the search
for technical efficiency. At the turn of this century, the
technological emphasis for efficiency systematically developed in
the 1980s and 1990s, started to reveal its limitations, facing a
problematic integration of cultural dimensions and imposing a
contradictory opposition between ethics and aesthetics, between
form and content. This approach to design may be compromising the
very idea of an integrated environmentalism in various realms of
knowledge and action. Choices regarding materials, structures,
forms, or even processes, are often incommensurable as they
present conflicting evaluations. Public spaces and places are
being transformed today, where ecological performance is often
favoured over spatial and formal expression. The aim of this
session is to understand how the imperative of environmentalism
is influencing the way in which we evaluate and critique design
today.

Session Chair:  Carmela Cucuzzella, PhD, Concordia University,

Instructions for abstract submissions:

1. Proposals for papers should be sent directly to the session
chair: [log in to unmask]

2. Submissions must include:
- the name and email address of the applicant;
- the applicant's institutional affiliation and rank;
- the paper title; an abstract (300 words maximum); and
- a brief bio (150 words maximum)

3. The deadline for submissions is Monday, July 20

1-3 September 2015: RELATING SYSTEMS THINKING AND DESIGN 4
(RSD4) SYMPOSIUM

Join us in accelerating the convergence of design, social, and
technology fields toward co-creating humanized systems. We invite
participants, presenters and students from across practices,
disciplines and design fields to register for the RSD4
<http://rsd4.eventbrite.com/> Symposium, Banff, Canada.

The RSD series has advanced an agenda for a strong integration
between systems thinking and design to take on the most important
challenges facing our planet today. The theme of this year's
symposium is At the Frontiers of Systemic Design.

Hosted for the first time in North America, with sponsorship from
the Government of Alberta, we are reaching out to new audiences
while maintaining the ethos of a small and intimate lightweight
symposium.

To celebrate the interplay between theory and practice, each day
of the symposium iterates between peer-reviewed talks and
collaborative workshops that build skills and take on real world
challenges enabled by systemic design approaches.

We have confirmed 5 extraordinary keynote speakers over the three
day event:

- Mugendi MRithaa, Cape Peninsula University of Technology.
South Africa

- Don Norman, University of California, San Diego, US

- Lia Patrcio, University of Porto, Italy

- Ann Pendleton-Jullian, The Ohio State University and
Georgetown University, US

- Ursula Tischner, Agency for Sustainable Design, Cologne,
Germany

Registration for the 3 day event costs CAD $240, which includes
breakfast, lunch and snacks. There is an optional symposium
dinner for an additional CAD $60. The Banff Centre provides for a
limited number of reserved accommodations onsite. Other hotel
options and travel details are provided on our traveler tips
<http://systemic-design.net/rsd4-2015/venue/> page. We encourage
early registration as both onsite accommodation and symposium
tickets will sell out fast!

http://systemic-design.net

Focus section on "DESIGN ANTHROPOLOGY IN PARTICIPATORY DESIGN"
to be published at the
INTERACTION DESIGN AND ARCHITECTURE(S) JOURNAL (IxD&A)
(ISSN 1826-9745, eISSN 2283-2998)

http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php?s=
102&link=call26fs

Guest Editors:

 Rachel Charlotte Smith, Centre for Participatory Information
 Technology, Aarhus University
 Mette Kjrsgaard, SDU Design, University of Southern Denmark

Important dates:

 Deadline: September 4, 2015
 Notification to the authors: October 4, 2015
 Camera ready paper: October 25, 2015
 Publication of the special issue: second half of November, 2015

Overview

In this focus section we explore the opportunities of ethnography
and design anthropology in participatory design as an approach to
design in an increasingly global and digital world.
Traditionally,

The section explores theoretical positionings and
methodologicaldesign anthropology:

 Proximity versus Distance
 Understanding versus Emergence
 Empathy versus Critique
 Description versus Intervention
 Professional Boundaries vs. Transdisciplinarity

We welcome participants from all areas of research in PD,
interested in exploring the role and position of ethnography and
design anthropology in processes of participatory engagement and
technology design. Especially we

Submission procedure

The manuscripts should be submitted either in .doc or in .rtf
format. All papers will be blindly peer-reviewed by at least two
reviewers. Authors are invited to submit 8-14 pages paper
(including authors' information, abstract, all tables, figures,
references, etc.). The paper should be written according to the
IxD&A authors' guidelines

http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/inevent/events/idea2010/index.php

Authors' guidelines

Link to the paper submission page:
http://www.mifav.uniroma2.it/idea2010/login.php (when submitting
the paper please choose Domain Subjects under: "IxD&A focus
section on: Design Anthropology in Participatory Design')

More information on the submission procedure and on the
characteristics of the paper format can be found on the website
of the IxD&A Journal where information on the copyright policy
and responsibility of authors, publication ethics and malpractice
are published.

For scientific advices and for any query please contact the
guest-editors:
 Rachel Charlotte Smith
 Mette Gislev Kjrsgaard [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
marking the subject as: "IxD&A section on: Design Anthropology in
Participatory Design"

TRACEY JOURNAL is a fully peer reviewed electronic journal
dedicated to drawing and visualisation. It is varied and diverse
with a fast growing readership of academics, students and
practitioners representing a wide range of drawing interests
including fine art, architectural design, product design and
visual communication - ideally any activity in which drawing and
visualisation is essential.

http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sota/tracey/

In this next invitation for submissions, we are focusing on the
theme of Drawing and presence, particularly in relation to the
following questions:

What is the relationship between drawer and drawn in the moment
of drawing?

Does drawing enable immediate sensuous presence in relation to
its object?

How might the sustained attention of drawing be characterized?
What is the role of immediacy, mediation, meditation, repetition?

What role do empathy, intensity and materiality play in drawing?
What role do order, analysis and clarity play in drawing?

Is drawing a meaningful activity? If so, in what way? Do drawings
have meaning? Is their meaning objective, subjective or both?

What does drawing say about desire? Is drawing a form of
appropriation, a will-to-possess, a way of taking hold of things?
Or does it imply a moment of dispossession, a surrender of self
in search of a new understanding?

Do accident, loss of control and the properties of the medium
influence thinking?

Does drawing offer a mode of engagement that enables
understanding the world in terms of becoming rather than being,
in terms of dynamic processes rather than static objects?

Does drawing reduplicate the world or can it transform it? Is it
a kind of metamorphosis?

A submission may constitute drawings or other visual material,
texts or research papers that have not been published before or
have been published in a different context and also texts and
images combined. There is no word or image limit. All submissions
will be peer reviewed by two members of the peer review panel.
Please visit the site to view our guidelines for submissions and
a list of our peer reviewers.

Submissions should be on submitted electronically as compressed
folders, saved with your name and theme as the folder identifier
(eg. Smith_A_Drawing_and_Presence). The folder should include:

Introduction

Brief biographical paragraph

Concise summary of content for the editorial team as a MS Word
 document.

Together with the following files, depending on your submission
type:

 The paper, text or images

 Text submissions should be formatted using the template, which
 can be downloaded by clicking on the link below:
 http://www.lboro.ac.uk/departments/sota/tracey/journal/call.html

 If your text includes images, please send these as separate
 jpegs and ensure that they are correctly captioned. Italics
 should be highlighted in colour.

 Image submissions should be sent as 300 dpi, RGB Tiff files.

Please send all submissions to Sally Bellman:
[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]> or c/o
Sally Bellman, TRACEY, Loughborough University, School of the
Arts, English and Drama, Epinal Way, Loughborough, Leicestershire
UK, LE11 3TU no later than Friday 4th September 2015.

16-17 October 2015: ANNUAL CONF GERMAN SOCIETY FOR DESIGN THEORY
AND RESEARCH (DGTF): REASSEMBLING RELATIONSHIPS: PEOPLE, SYSTEMS,
THINGS (Oct 2015, Potsdam Germany)

Deadline for submissions: 13 July 2015

http://www.dgtf.de/tagungen/english

DESIGN CONNECTS: INTERNATIONAL DESIGN CONFERENCE OF KSDS AND
ADADA WITH CUMULUS, 2015

17-18 October 2015, the Academic Conference
19-21 October 2015, the International Design Congress

http://www.2015idc.org/
http://www.2015idc.org/html/sub3_4.html

Important Notice

Paper submission deadline has been extended

Full Paper (English only)
20 Jul. 2015: Deadline for Full-Paper submission
25 Aug. 2015: Notification of acceptance
7 Sep. 2015: Final paper submission
14 Sep. 2015: Doctoral Colloquium

Short Paper / Poster (English & Korean)

31 Aug. 2015: Deadline for Short Paper / Poster submission
14 Sep. 2015: Notification of acceptance
28 Sep. 2015: Final paper submission

CALL FOR PAPERS

Design Connects is a collaborative conference by the KSDS (Korean
Society of Design Science), the ADADA (Asia Digital Art and
Design Association) and Cumulus, the International Association of
Universities and Colleges of Art, Design and Media. The goal of
this event is to create a forum to explore meaningful changes in
design profiles and convergence of design disciplines. By
connecting cross-disciplinary, cultural, and social knowledge and
various design approaches from diverse design domains, Design
Connects will explore emerging design issues to make our life
better.

This conference will take place from October 17th through October
18th at the Asia Cultural Complex and Chonnam National University
in Gwangju, Korea. The theme of this conference centers around
the idea of design thinking to address issues on emerging
professional profiles connected to the most upto- date evolutions
of the discipline of design. KSDS, ADADA, and Cumulus invites
papers, posters and doctoral colloquium submissions. The
conference is a two day program. The first day of the conference
consists of paper presentation sessions and will be held at
Chonnam National University. The second day is the Cumulus Forum
and will take place at the newly built design hub in Gwangju, the
Asia Cultural Complex.

The conference will be held in conjunction with the International
Design Congress of 2015. The respected associations in the field
of design such as ico-D(International Council of Design),
ICSID(International Council of Societies of Industrial Design),
IFI(International federation of Interior Architects/Designers),
IxDA(Interaction Design Association) and SDN(Service Design
Network) are gathering together to discuss and bring out
questions that designers can participate more actively with the
changes and problems around the world. The congress will take
place after the international conference of the KSDS and the
ADADA with Cumulus.

All papers will go through a double blind peer review process by
the KSDS, the ADADA, and Cumulus review committee. Upon review,
amendments may be suggested for papers. All submission must be
made online through our online submission system.

TOPICS

The conference will observe discussions and presentations
centered on but not exclusive to:

Design Theory
Universal design
Interaction design
Design education
Architecture
Service Design
Design case studies
Urban design
Experience disign
Design history
Space design
Graphic design
Design research
Fashion design
Typography
Design methods
Sustainable design
Branding
Design practice
Design and culture
Digital Arts & Design
Human factors in design
Social design
Animation / Computer
Design usability
Information design
Graphics

FULL PAPERS

The program committee solicits paper proposals both on
foundational and applied design research. Full papers must be
written in English and should be 3000-5000 words excluding
abstracts and references and comply with the paper guidelines.
Proposals must not be in press or under consideration for
presentation or publication elsewhere. Authors must adhere to the
formatting guidelines to avoid rejection.

SHORT PAPERS

The short papers allow for the presentation of research for which
the author wishes to reserve publication rights for future
consideration. Short papers may consist of 2~6 pages in our
format including abstracts and references. We accept both English
and Korean submissions for the short paper program.

POSTERS

The posters will be displayed in a designated space at the
Conference venue. The poster should be A1 vertical (841mm x
594mm), and comply with the poster format. Submissions in English
and Korean will be accepted. Display panels will be provided on
site at the time of the conference. Please bring your printed
poster as we are unable to provide printing service.

IMPORTANT DATES

Full Paper (English only)

20 Jul. 2015: Deadline for Full-Paper submission
25 Aug. 2015: Notification of acceptance
7 Sep. 2015: Final paper submission
14 Sep. 2015: Doctoral Colloquium

Short Paper / Poster (English & Korean)

31 Aug. 2015: Deadline for Short Paper / Poster submission
14 Sep. 2015: Notification of acceptance
28 Sep. 2015: Final paper submission

EuiChul Jung (Yeonsei University)

JungMin Choi (Seoul National University of Science and
Technology)

If you are a member of Korean Society of Design Science, please
contact KSDS at
[log in to unmask]<[log in to unmask]" target="_blank">http:[log in to unmask]> for
further questions.

If you are a member of ADADA, please contact ADADA at
[log in to unmask]<http://www.2015idc.org/html/adadakorea@gmail
.com> for further questions.

INFORMATION

Korean Society of Design Science<http://www.design-science.or.kr>
Asia Digital Arts and Design Association<http://www.adada.info>

Cumulus, the International Association of Universities and
Colleges of Art, Design and
Media http://www.cumulusassociation.org

5-6 November 2015: PhD BY DESIGN CONFERENCE

We are very excited to announce the next PhD By Design
conference,Researching across difference being held in the
Department of Design at Goldsmiths on the 5th and 6th of November
2015.  The conference is an opportunity to present work and
discuss the diverse aspects of what it means to do a
practice-based PhD in Design.

Aim:

The aim of the conferenceis to vocalise, discuss and work through
many of the topical issues of conducting a practice-based PhD in
design. It will enable early career design researchers to explore
the many aspects of knowledge production within and across
academic institutions. Through this conference we want to provide
a forum to build a practice-based design research community.

Who for?

The conference especially invites designers undergoing or having
completed a practice-based PhD within and outwith design
departments.

What will happen?

This two day event will include twelve discussion sessions around
the theme of Researching across difference, presentations from
leading design researchers Professor Doina Petrescu (University
of Sheffield and atelier d'architecture autogre) and Professor
Roberto Feo (Goldsmiths, University of London and El Ultimo
Grito), peer-to-peer research skills workshops and a display of
design research imagery. All participants will be presenting
their research to ensure a supportive and engaged environment in
which to share practices, experiences, dilemmas, failures and
doubts.

How to get involved

We ask you to complete the application form and submit one
question related to issues of researching across difference you
are discovering within your PhD. This question will be used to
group you into discussion sessions that will run throughout the
conference.  If your application is successful, you will need to
bring with you a 5-minute presentation about how your
practice-based research works across difference.  As spaces are
limited, when completing the application form, please consider
how your work speaks to the conference theme and convey this in
your bio, research statement and the question you submit. You
will be informed whether your application is successful by the
11th September.  Application submission deadline is the 6th
September 2015.

Twitter: @PhdDesignGold #phdbydesign

Facebook: facebook/phdbydesign

phdbydesign.com

CALL FOR SENSORY DESIGN REVIEW ARTICLES

The Senses and Society
Routledge
ISSN 1745-8927 (Print), 1745-8935 (Online)

A heightened interest in the role of the senses in society is
rapidly supplanting older paradigms and challenging conventional
theories of representation, which to date have prioritized the
visual and textual over other media of experience. The Senses &
Society is an international, refereed journal that provides a
forum for the exploration of sensory communication and expression
in history and across cultures. Highly interdisciplinary, it
welcomes submissions from sensory history, the arts, sociology,
anthropology, design, architecture, cultural and media studies.

Sensory Design Review Articles may address sensory design issues
and experiences in areas such as: architecture, design history,
industrial design, interaction design, interior design, landscape
design, material culture studies, sensory aesthetics, urban
planning and related design fields. Some past titles include: IIT
Muffles the L: The McCormick-Tribune Campus Center by Joyce
Monice Malnar (V2 (1), 2007), Please Wash Your Hands by Jo-Anne
Bichard, Julienne Hanson, Clara Greed (V3 (1), 2008), Sensuality
and Shag Carpeting: A Design Review of a Postwar Floor Covering
by Chad Randl (V 5 (2), 2010), and Sensationalizing OMAs Milstein
Hall at Cornell University by D. Medina Lasansky (V9 (1), 2014).

Review articles can be submitted at any time. They should be
between 1200- 1500 words, or by prior arrangement up to 2200
words. They do not usually have an abstract. They must include
3-5 keywords and a 30-word biography of the author(s), including
institutional affiliation(s).

Sensory design reviews should be submitted electronically
(preferably in Microsoft Word) to the Sensory Design Review
Editor: [log in to unmask]

http://www.tandfonline.com/loi/rfss20#.VVTJSWbUU2Y

CALL for SPECIAL ISSUE of CRAFT RESEARCH:

Real or unreal? - Crafting authenticity in the digital age
(Issue 7.2 September/October 2016)

For this special issue, we invite contributions about the
authenticity of craft in the digital age and its meaning in an
era of mass customisation. Current developments, including
computer aided manufacturing and science-based ways of producing
craft artefacts, such as growing clothing from micro cultures,
raise the need to question established understandings of making
and of craft.

Visible traces of the makers skills and associated variation
between individual pieces through making by hand, even where
producing repeat patterns, are traditionally seen as a central
characteristic of craft. With the rise of digital and science
driven manufacture, the question arises as to where the signature
of the maker might reside within mass customisation, now that
wide variation and individualisation can be produced at the push
of a button or in the petri dish. This reopens the question as to
how the hand signifies making and what its role is in relation to
design, referring to the link between creativity, thinking and
the hand.

Authenticity is another related issue: How can we authenticate
the digital and how might makers address genuineness, the
ownership of ideas, designs and claims to uniqueness, in a world
of instant copying, sampling and the habitual plagiarism of
images? In the light of such developments, one might also
question what the meaning of authenticity is, whether it has
changed and how, and also how important authenticity is in the
digital age in relation to the cult of originality, and the
manipulation of existing designs? By extension, will the
tradition of the developing body of personal work, which has long
functioned as a key indicator of authenticity, continue in the
face of rapidly mutating, technological opportunities, and what
might replace it? We already speak of 'hybrid craft' but what
does it mean, and what does it imply about the future of craft?

This special issue seeks to address these questions and more, to
explore the position of craft today and what it might hold in the
future. We invite relevant contributions in a number of formats,
which are detailed below.

Editor / Guest Editor

Prof Kristina Niedderer, University of Wolverhampton, UK
email: [log in to unmask]

Prof Martin Woolley, Coventry University, UK
email: [log in to unmask]

Submission

The final date for submission of full papers for issue 7.1 is
Monday 4 January 2016. For guidance notes, for further
information or to submit a paper, please contact the editors.

Please also find all details on the website:

http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals/view-Journal,id=172/

Aims & Scope

Craft Research is the first peer-reviewed academic journal
dedicated to the development and advance of contemporary craft
practice and theory through research. The aim of Craft Research
is to portray and build the crafts as a vital and viable modern
discipline that offers a vision for the future and for the
sustainable development of human social, economical and
ecological issues. This role of craft is rooted in its flexible
nature as a conduit from design at one end to art at the other.
It gains its strength from its at times experimental, at times
developmental nature, which enables craft to explore and
challenge technology, to question and develop cultural and social
practices, and to interrogate philosophical and human values.

Contributions

Full Research Papers (4000-6000 words)

They will describe completed research projects, including
research problem, questions, methods, outcomes, and findings.
They should include original work of a research and/or
developmental nature and/or propose new methods or ideas that are
clearly and thoroughly presented and argued.

Position Papers (2000-3000 words)

- Short Research Papers may describe smaller research projects or
research in progress including research problem, questions,
methods, (expected) outcomes and findings. They are an
opportunity to new researchers/practitioners to get into
publishing.

- Position papers may put forward and debate a position on a
particular (current) issue (e.g. new technology, material,
theoretical, social or educational issue). Both should include
original work of a research or developmental nature and/or
propose new methods or ideas that are clearly and thoroughly
presented and argued.

Both should include original work of a research and/or
developmental nature and/or propose new methods or ideas that are
clearly and thoroughly presented and argued. They are an
opportunity for new researchers/practitioners to have their
research/work published.

Craft & Industry Reports (1500-3000 words)

Reports of Investigative Practice from Craft & Industry should
present an advance in and for the field, including collaborations
and new developments of work, processes, methods, ideas etc. by
practitioners and industry in the crafts.

Review Section. We invite reviews of the following:

- The Portrait Section (1000-2000 words)

Will feature the work of an individual (crafts person, artist,
designer, maker, researcher) within the field whose creative work
stands out for its developmental / research qualities and
contribution to the crafts.

- The Exhibition Section (1000-2000 words)

Will feature scholarly reviews of exhibitions that are of
particular developmental / research significance for the field
for the technical, conceptual, aesthetic, social etc. quality of
the work or for the curation.

-   The Publication Review (1000-2000 words)

Will feature reviews of publications in print and new media.

- The Conference Section (1000-2000 words)

Will feature reviews of any relevant conferences/symposia/etc. in
the field.

Calendar of Exhibitions & Conferences

We invite notifications of important and relevant forthcoming
craft exhibitions and craft conferences/research events.

Remarkable Image Section

We invite the submission of images of outstanding quality for
their novelty, beauty, complexity, simplicity, challenging
nature, humour, humanity, etc. that are representative of
contemporary crafts developments and research.

DESIGN AND TECHNOLOGY (D&T) SIG

The deadline for submissions to the 2016 ANNUAL AERA MEETING is
July 22. We encourage you to submit your research to the Design
and Technology (D&T) SIG.

The purpose of the D&T SIG is to foster research, teaching,
service and innovation in design education and technology
education in formal educational settings and in other learning
environments.

How to Submit:

1. Please review the Call for Submissions (PDF)
2. Go to www.aera.net and log in (link in top right-hand corner
of web page)
3. Once you log in, click "My AERA" (at the top right of the
page)
4. Scroll down to the 2016 Annual Meeting and click "Online
program portal"

This years Annual AERA Meeting will be held April 8-12, 2016 in
Washington, DC. The theme is, Public Scholarship to Educate
Diverse Democracies.

When preparing your submission, please pay special attention to
the six elements that must be addressed in the narrative paper
submissions even if the results, conclusions, or findings are not
complete or final at the time of the submission. In order to
accommodate flexibility in program decisions, please select all
of the formats in which you would be willing to present your
work; every year there are far more spots available for poster
presentations and roundtable papers than individual papers and
symposia.

Please share this call for proposals with all who may be
interested. The number of sessions allocated to each SIG is
determined by the number of proposals and the size of our active
membership, so please consider the Design and Technology SIG as a
place to share your work, and renew your SIG membership when you
submit your proposals.

Encourage students and colleagues to join our SIG too!

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact Kui
Xie, D&T Program Chair at [log in to unmask] or Marti Snyder,
Communications Manager at [log in to unmask]

INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF FOOD DESIGN

The International Journal of Food Design is interdisciplinary and
transdisciplinary. Articles can be about theory, practice, or the
intersection of the two. We value rigorous articles that show
particular attention to data collection and data analysis, a
strong collocation in the literature, and an original
contribution to knowledge. Articles with 6000-8000 words
(including references) are appropriate. The journal also welcomes
case studies, which are also peer-reviewed but should be
3000-4000 words long including references. The intention of case
studies is to showcase and give value to original on-going
projects, and practice-based or practice-led design projects,
that show originality and potentials. Finally the journal also
welcomes literature review articles.

Topics can include: Design For Food, Design With Food, Food
Product Design, Food Packaging, Interior Design For Food, Food
Events Design, Food and Sensory Design, Emotional Food Design,
Food System Design, Food Service/Management, Food Design History,
Food Design Theory, Food Design Education

The journal also welcomes contributions from Food Science, Food
Styling, Culinary Arts and Hospitality, as long as the topic
presented is connected to Design. For example: Design Thinking
applied to Culinary Arts, and Design principles or processes
applied to any Hospitality issue. Similarly, the journal welcomes
contributions from any Design field, as long as the topic
presented or the outcome of the design process relates to food or
eating. The International Journal of Food Design pursues
originality, ingenuity, innovation, as well as thoroughness and
rigour.

Notes for Contributors:
http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/MediaManager/File/IJFD%20Notes%
20for%20Contributors.pdf

CFP link:
http://www.intellectbooks.co.uk/journals/view-Journal,id=246/view
,page=2/

11-12 November 2015: FUTURESCAN 3: INTERSECTING IDENTITIES
The Glasgow School of Art, UK

The identities of those employed within fashion and textiles are
multifaceted. In the higher education sector individuals operate
in complex roles as teachers, educators, facilitators,
instructors, mentors, supervisors, creative practitioners,
researchers, collaborators, coordinators, managers and leaders,
in a continually evolving system responsive to external factors
including the latest government agendas, policy initiatives and
industry developments. The fashion and textiles industry is
transient. Creative professionals work as designers, artists,
makers, colourists, stylists, photographers, illustrators,
technologists, futurologists, curators, authors, historians,
conservators, journalists, buyers, marketers and publicists. It
is commonplace for individuals to associate with numerous
intersecting identities within the global fashion and textiles
community.

The Association of Fashion and Textile Courses (FTC) forthcoming
conference Futurescan 3: Intersecting Identities will provide an
international forum for dissemination of research surrounding
fashion and textiles. Keynote speakers, full and short paper
authors will present preliminary, existing and completed work
that intersects the following themes:

- Education and Industry
- Research and Teaching
- History and Contemporary Practice
- Creative Practice and Theory
- Making and Technology
- Sustainability and Society
- Local and Global Communities

Keynote speakers:

Carole Collet, Professor in Design for Sustainable Futures,
Central Saint Martins, University of the Arts London

Noa Raviv, Fashion Designer & Artist, Creative Director Noa Raviv

Paul Simmons, Designer & Owner, Timorous Beasties

The conference is intended for educators, established and early
career researchers, postgraduate students, practitioners and
industry professionals.

www.ftc-online.org.uk/futurescan-3

For enquires please email:

7-9 September 2015: WELLBEING BY DESIGN CONFERENCE

The Institute of Design Innovation (InDI) at The Glasgow School
of Art is pleased to announce the call for participation for the
inaugural Wellbeing by Design Conference. This event will take
place on the 7th, 8th and 9th September 2015, in the Highland and
Islands Campus, Forres, Morayshire, with Professor Irene
McAra-McWilliam delivering a keynote.

The conference will bring together practitioners and researchers
from Masters, Doctoral and Post-doctoral communities whose shared
interests and inquiries utilise design approaches to support
communities to live well. Through a lively series of
presentations, discussions and exhibitions, delegates will
collaboratively explore and expand the evolving definitions of
'wellbeing'. At the same time, we will consider our individual
and collective experiences and how reflective practice and
reflexivity can support creativity, enhance collective knowledge,
and be harnessed when exploring complex social challenges.

The aim of the Wellbeing by Design conference is to provide an
intimate, supportive and informal space to discuss our successes,
as well as the struggles inherent in research inquiry.

We invite applicants to complete the short conference application
form by 30th July 2015. The application form can be found at

http://www.gsa.ac.uk/life/gsa-events/events/w/wellbeing-by-design
-2015-(1)/, alongside full details of the event.

If you feel this event would be of interest to the Masters, PhD
or Post-Doctoral communities in your institution, we would
greatly appreciate it if any list members could forward on this
call for participation.

If you have any questions please contact the team at:

OLFACTION AND PRESERVATION
Special issue co-edited by Adam Jasper and Jorge Otero-Pailos

Deadline September 30th, 2015

Future Anterior invites essays that explore the relationship
between olfaction and preservation from historical, theoretical
and critical perspectives. We seek scholarly papers that take
stock of the recent surge of interdisciplinary research on
olfaction and speculate on its relevance and impact on the
practice of preservation.

Whether deodorized or artificially scented, the olfactory
signature of historic buildings is rarely haphazard. Yet the
conscious practice of altering smells in order to influence how
visitors experience heritage is rarely subjected to serious
scholarly scrutiny. In part this might be due to the fact that
most preservationists lack training in olfaction. This deficiency
is arguably cultural and as old as preservation itself. In 1857
the English polymath George William Septimus Piesse wrote: Of the
five senses, that of smelling is the least valued, and, as a
consequence, is the least tutored; but we must not conclude from
this, our own act that it is of insignificant importance to our
welfare and happiness. Piesse was writing during a period in
which miasmatic theories of disease transmission held sway. He
believed training the nose was useful for detecting
disease-carrying airs. Whereas the 18th and 19th centuries had a
horror of the effects of the stagnation of air, in contemporary
hygiene aesthetics, the sterile separation of spaces via glass
and ceramic tiles is privileged. To what extent can historical
case studies of public beliefs (justified or not) regarding odor,
hygiene and disease inform an understanding of interior space,
and its concomitant implications for architectural preservation?

Today, we think of the uses of olfaction more in terms of
enhancing memory and recollection, as advances in neuroscience
have taught us that the region of the brain that processes smell
is the limbic system, which is directly linked to the hippocampus
and the amygdala, where emotions are registered and memories
stored. The powerful connection between smell, memory, and
emotions encouraged preservationists to experiment with scenting
historic sites in the 1980s. A pioneering example is the Jorvik
Viking Center in York, England, designed by John Sunderland, who
conceptualized smell as a central element of what he called time
warp experiences. Papers may examine the history, successes and
failures of olfactory design in preservation projects. To what
degree did the introduction of manufactured smells as part of
historic buildings reinforce or challenge previous conceptions of
preservation? For example, how could the focus on smell inflect
debates about the authenticity of historic buildings?

Papers might also consider whether the construction of smells can
be thought of as part of the history of building technology, and
the modern pursuit of the well tempered and attractively scented
environment. Whether deceitful or not, the reality is that we are
in the midst of an explosion in the use of unique fragrances in
branded spaces, such as luxury hotels or retail spaces. How can
we square off the experimental preservation uses of smell with
the wider contemporary trend to scent commercial environments?

The scenting of historic sites can be, and often is, dismissed as
a gimmick to attract more visitors. Papers can examine why
historically smell has been so easily employed or construed as a
deceitful lure. If the low evidentiary value attributed to smell
is due to the difficulty in objectifying or documenting it, this
status should change. It is now possible to document the smells
of contemporary buildings and to archive them along with more
traditional records such as photographs and architectural
drawings. A transformative moment in the history of smell
technology was Roman Kaisers invention of Headspace in the 1970s,
which automated the field documentation of smells, and made it
possible to artificially emulate practically any smell.

What standards should this emerging documentary practice follow?
What schemata are available for the categorization of historic
smells? The language of smell is here a central concern. The
description of smells proceeds entirely via euphemism. As Kant
wrote in *Reflexionen zur Anthropologie*, all the senses have
their own descriptive vocabularies, e.g. for sight, there is red,
green, and yellow, and for taste there is sweet and sour, etc.
But the sense of smell can have no descriptive vocabulary of its
own. Rather, we borrow our adjectives from the other senses, so
that it smells sour, or has a smell like roses or cloves or musk.
They are all, however, terms drawn from other senses.
Consequently, we cannot describe our sense of smell. Would it be
appropriate to categorize the smell of historic buildings
according to their visual styles (eg. Gothic, Barroque,
Neo-classical, Art Deco, Modernist, etc)?

Within flavors and fragrance companies, "fragrance wheels"in
which families of smells are arranged in an analog of the
spectrum of visible colorsare often used as mnemonic and
communicative devices. Other schemes array scents on musical
scales, or in n-dimensional space. We also have taxonomies of
scents from Carl Linnaeus (1756), Zwaardemaker (1895), Crocker
and Henderson (1927), and Jellinek (1951), amongst many others.
The enormous variety of such representations, which may be
indispensable in the effective communication of olfactory
experience, attests to their current insufficiency. What
developments are to be expected on this front? Can the
conventional language of smell be satisfactorily formalized for
professional preservation use?

In recent years, studies of the smells of decomposing materials
point to a promising new form of non-destructive testing for
historic architecture, and a new science of material degradomics.
Exemplary applications include the Heritage Smells! project led
by Lorraine T. Gibson, which analyzes the gases emitted by
heritage objects to establish their state of decay. The ambitious
project involves scientists and conservators from the British
Museum, the University of Strathclyde, University College London,
the National Records of Scotland, English Heritage and the
British Library. What are the current limits to, and the
necessary preconditions for the technological study of olfaction
for architectural preservation? What new possibilities are
offered by corpus analysis, data mining and other research
techniques in the digital humanities in determining historical
perceptions and theories of smell? How can these techniques best
be disseminated, applied and critiqued?

Papers might examine the long history that precedes the current
interest in measuring decomposition through smell. One
interesting precedent is the Henning Odor Prism, or Henning
Olfactory Prism (19151916). While scents may have much in common,
according to the Henning prism they differentiate themselves from
each other in their odor profile during decomposition. The
Henning Prism therefore suggests the possibility of charting
smell trajectories, that is, the characteristic changes in smell
as a perfumes volatile top note lifts to reveal its middle and
base note, as a fruit ripens, or as an organic product undergoes
metabolic decomposition. What are the prospects for developing an
understanding of how the smell of a building will naturally
change over time?

We also welcome papers that examine the relationship between
olfaction and urban preservation. From the characteristic odors
of the Renaissance city, through the great stenches of London and
Paris in the nineteenth century, to the rise in synthetic
deodorants in the twentieth, the smell of the historical city
undergoes change. As Rudolph el-Khoury writes in *Polish and
Deodorize*, "Urban historians have indeed spoken of a Copernican
revolution in the Enlightenment's conception of a city. Beauty,
once the governing principle of urbanism, is claimed to have been
overthrown by health, hygiene and physiology". In particular, the
public fear of disease engendering miasmas, and more specifically
the telluric emanations of interior walls, had a significant
impact on both urban planning (Haussmanns sewers) and interior
architecture (in particular wallpaper) in 18th century France. To
what extent is the sense of smell, our tolerance of certain
odors, its thresholds and affective categories, also historically
determined?

Future Anterior invites papers from scholars in preservation and
its allied fields (architectural history, art history,
anthropology, archeology, geography, chemistry, engineering,
political science, juridical studies, urban studies, and
planning) that explore these and related questions from a variety
of disciplinary perspectives.

Future Anterior is a peer-reviewed journal that approaches the
field of historic preservation from a position of critical
inquiry. A comparatively recent field of professional study,
preservation often escapes direct academic challenges of its
motives, goals, forms of practice and results. Future Anterior
invites contributions that ask these difficult questions from
philosophical, theoretical, and practical perspectives.

Articles submitted for peer review should be no more than 4000
words, with up to seven illustrations. Text must be formatted in
accordance with the Chicago Manual of Style, 15th Edition. All
articles must be submitted in English, and spelling should follow
American convention. All submissions must be submitted
electronically. Text should be saved as Microsoft Word or RTF
format, while accompanying images should be sent as TIFF files
with a resolution of at least 300 dpi at 8 by 9print size.
Figures should be numbered and called out clearly between
paragraphs in the text. Image captions and credits must be
included with submissions. It is the responsibility of the author
to secure permissions for image use and pay any reproduction
fees. A brief author biography (around 100 words) must accompany
the text.

For further manuscript guidelines, please visit:
http://www.upress.umn.edu/journals/futureanterior/fa_msguidelines
.html

Acceptance or rejection of submissions is at the discretion of
the editors.

Please do not send original materials, as submissions will not be
returned.

Please email all submissions to:

Questions about submissions can be mailed to the above address or
emailed to:
Jorge Otero-Pailos
Founder and Editor, Future Anterior
Jo2050 at columbia dot edu <[log in to unmask]>

or

Adam Jasper, Guest Co-Editor
Adamjasper at gmail dot com

29-30 October, 2015: DESIGN ENGINEERING IN THE CONTEXT OF ASIA
ASIAN DESIGN ENGINEERING WORKSHOP, Hong Kong

An event of the Design Society
Organized By:
The Hong Kong Polytechnic University School of Design

Asian Design Engineering Workshop invites paper submissions in
the following categories:

Asian lifestyle and design
Computational design
Design for business
Interaction design
Product-Service systems design

How to submit a proposal?

We invite you to submit a full paper in the first instance for
the Workshop via the online conference system here:
http://www.a-dews2015.com/ and follow the link Online Paper
Submission.

All submitted papers will be reviewed by program committee
members and selected based on their originality, significance,
relevance, and clarity of presentation. Accepted papers will be
published in the conference proceedings. Extended versions of
selected papers will be recommended for publication in the
special issues of well-known SCI journals including Journal of
Intelligent Manufacturing and International Journal of Design.

Keynote Speakers:

Prof. Eric Tsui on service innovation
Prof. Michael Siu on inclusive design in the public space
Dato Dr. Ahman Yusoff Hassan on product development in Malaysia
Prof. Kees Dorst on Frame Creation

IMPORTANT DATES

Aug 30, 2015: Full Paper Submission due
Sep 15, 2015: Notification of Acceptance
Oct 1, 2015: Final Papers due
Oct 1, 2015: Author Registrations due

http://www.a-dews2015.com/

1-2 December 2015: DESIGNED ASIA CONFERENCE

DESIGNED ASIA 2015 CALL FOR ABSTRACTS

Jointly organised by The Hong Kong Polytechnic University School
of Design, Hong Kong Design Institute (member of VTC Group), and
Hong Kong Design Centre, DesignEd Asia Conference aims to provide
a practical platform for international design educators and
professionals to share views, knowledge and experiences on Design
Education. For 2015, we will feature speakers from Barcelona, the
partner city of Business of Design Week (BODW).

Spirit of Place and Design Education

The worlds great schools of design tend to be embedded in vibrant
metropolises, distinctive regional cultures, hubs of creative
energy, and other contexts that  in their rich design histories
and unique social and cultural patterns  provide grounding,
inspiration, challenges and nourishment to the teaching and
learning of design. Local industries and natural resources, the
geographical and climatic factors of the local environment, and
the demographic and cultural specificities of the local society
all have a formative influence on design students and teachers,
and the institutions in which they operate. The place in which an
educational institution is situated is the archive of tangible
evidence of a heritage of design. Equally so, it contains the
inheritance of intangible ideas and values, and is the stage for
the ongoing performance of a local habitus.

In learning how to think and act in designerly ways, students
become sensitized to the environment within which, and for which
they design. The geographical locus at which design education
takes place is among the most fundamental and profound of the
resources on which design education draws  as a laboratory,
library, museum, sounding board, palimpsest of memories and
canvas of future visions. Not merely a site or situation that is
probed in the name of design research, the place in which one
learns design is the very medium within which the process of ones
acquisition of ways of thinking, learning and doing is enmeshed.

Design education can empower students to draw on the resources,
values and heritage of a place in critical and exploratory ways,
educating each generation of new designers to drive forward the
evolution of local design knowledge, identity and practice.
However, a narrow and superficial notion of the spirit of a place
in design education can lead to stultifying conservatism and
trivialization of a localitys heritage, cloying appeals to
fetishized clichs, prejudices sacralized as traditions, hackneyed
appropriations from a canon of artifacts from the past, and
uncritical hagiographies of local heroes.

Even as design markets and tastes become increasingly globalized,
as ways of teaching and learning design become more and more
internationalized, and students around the world make reference
to the same iconic projects, trendy ideas and styles, and star
designers, the importance of place in design education remains.
We are inviting papers that explore different facets of this
importance. Possible themes include, but are not limited to:

The ways in which the culture, history and society of a place
influence and nurture particular ways of teaching and learning,
and the value derived from such place-specific pedagogies

Appropriate ways for critically addressing the design heritage of
the place where one learns, in ways that encourage deep
engagement, rather than superficial sampling

Particular pedagogies for passing-on local knowledge and
traditions, both tacit and explicit

Tactics for engaging the local people, society and culture in
sustained and meaningful ways, beyond the generic methods of user
research

The roles of design education institutions in promoting and
defining the spirit of place, including implications for
educational strategy and policyWays in which design education can
take up an ongoing dialogue with its context and give back to the
place that nourishes it

Examples of relationships and collaboration between design
schools and other institutions in society in perpetuating and
elaborating the spirit of place through design

Ways that design education can tap into local wisdom and
knowledge, as embodied in the crafts, traditions, and people of
the placeIn all of these themes and others, we are seeking papers
that address theoretical and practical issues, while remaining
grounded in actual pedagogical practice.

Deadline for Abstract Submission: 2 August (Sun)

Notification of Acceptance of an Abstract: 7 September (Mon)

Sign up and submit via the online conference system:
http://www.designedasia.com/openconf

For the most up-to-date information, visit:
http://www.DesignEdAsia.com/ Contact Us

Enquiries about Paper Submission: [log in to unmask]
Enquiries about the Conference: [log in to unmask]

Call for Papers -- She Ji. THE JOURNAL OF DESIGN, ECONOMICS, AND
INNOVATION

She Ji is a peer-reviewed, trans-disciplinary design journal
published by Elsevier in collaboration with Tongji University and
Tongji University Press. The first issue will appear in September
2015. She Ji focuses on economics and innovation, design process,
and design thinking. Our mission is to enable design innovation
in industry, business, non-profit services, and government
through economic and social value creation. Innovation requires
integrating ideas, economics, and technology to create new
knowledge at the intersection of different fields. She Ji
provides a unique forum for this interdisciplinary inquiry.

She Ji addresses how societies, organizations, and individuals
create, build, distribute, use, and enjoy goods and services,
with an added focus on strategy and management. The journal also
explores the way that organisations increasingly use design
thinking to achieve organisational goals, and the journal
examines how design thinking can inform wider social, managerial,
and intellectual discourses.

She Ji also publishes articles in research methods and
methodology, philosophy, and philosophy of science to support the
core journal area.

She Ji invites papers on topics within our remit. Articles of
interest might cover such issues as:

Design-driven innovation for social and economic change

Design practices in management, consulting, and public service

Alternative economies and industrial transformation

Design for smart and sustainable living

Latest design theories

Methods and methodologies for design research

Design for social innovation, organisational change, and
 education

Design, computation, and algorithms

Cultural aspects of design and innovation

Philosophy of design

Philosophy of science in design research

In particular, She Ji encourages three new dimensions in the
literature of design and innovation: (1) serious economic inquiry
and management inquiry; (2) rigorous research in design using the
methods of the natural sciences, social sciences, and economics;
(3) methodological contributions that deploy innovative research
methods and processes.

She Ji publishes seven types of articles:

1) Original research articles. She Ji welcomes conceptual,
theoretical, and empirical articles. All research articles are
subject to double-blind peer review. Following peer review, She
Ji works with authors on a final round of copy editing to ensure
highly readable articles that will reach and influence a wide
audience of scholars, researchers, and professional designers,
teachers and students, as well as leaders in business, industry,
and government.

2) Review articles. She Ji encourages literature review and
research review articles. Review articles use double-blind peer
review followed by copy editing.

3) Case studies. She Ji publishes two kinds of case study
articles. The journal welcomes original research articles
involving rigorous case studies and reflection. Research case
studies use double-blind peer review. The journal also welcomes
short case reports in the short communications category.

4) Short communications. She Ji welcomes short reports or
research announcements that describe work in progress with
preliminary research results. Short communications are not
subject to peer review.

5) Book reviews. Books reviews focus on analysis and discussion
of individual books as well as extended book reviews covering
several books. She Ji also publishes short book notes. Book
reviews are not subject to peer review.

6) Discussion articles. Discussion articles include interviews,
opinion leader commentary, and dialogues. Discussion articles are
not subject to peer review.

7) Letters. She Ji encourages written responses to articles and
original comments on issues relevant to the journal. Letters to
the editor are limited to 1,500 words. All letters commenting on
articles will be sent to the author of the original article for
response. Selected letters will be published in She Ji. Letters
are not subject to peer review. She Ji is fully open access.
Tongji University and Tongji University Press support She Ji as a
contribution to the design field and a public service to design
research. We do not charge author fees and all published articles
are accessible free of charge from the journal web site.

To submit articles to She Ji, please go to the She Ji Web site at

Please direct questions and correspondence to the Managing
Editor, Dr. Jin Ma: [log in to unmask]

24-26 May 2016: ServDes.2016 CONFERENCE
Aalborg University-Copenhagen

SECOND CALL FOR PAPERS

SUBMISSION DEADLINE: September 29 2015

ServDes, the Service Design and Innovation conference, is the
premier research conference for exchanging knowledge within
Service Design and service innovation studies. Born as a yearly
Nordic conference, ServDes has now become a bi-annual
international event with the aim of bringing researchers and
practitioners together to discuss, share and evolve the emerging
discipline of Service Design, and design-related service
innovation

SERVICE DESIGN GEOGRAPHIES

After a long maturation period, the discipline of Service Design
is evolving in several directions and exploring new territories.

The discipline has been founded on the area of affluence of many
knowledge streams, from service marketing and management to
interaction design and product design. The ground knowledge from
those disciplinary areas has been integrated through research and
cases studies that have emphasized different and new aspects of
service design, including user-participation and co-creation,
user experience, systemic and social aspects, technological
implications and strategic perspectives.

This relatively young area of design research is now exploring a
wide landscape, that includes methodological contributions,
practice-based research, concrete cases and prototypes, while new
stakeholders are expressing interest in this discipline and
promoting new cases and experiences.

The last few years have also seen an increasing number of public
sector initiatives with the support of design agencies,
foundations and research groups that are promoting novel
approaches to public service innovation. This includes for
example modes to capture and amplify signals of social innovation
projects or the set up of innovation labs within Government
offices. At the same time the private sector is exploring the
potential of more collaborative approaches to service innovation
that value users contribution and participation in the design
process.

Furthermore new contextual conditions are changing the cardinal
points in service innovation: e.g. the availability of large data
sets create new grounds for a new generation of services, that
enable citizens to navigate and connect with dispersed resources;
social networking tools are creating new layers of interaction
and collaborations among close and far off people, while
amplifying human capability to elaborate existing information;
finally broader social changes are changing the patterns of the
demand for new services. ServDes 2016 will explore this new
landscape with the aim of generating new maps, new orientation
tools and coordinates, to help interpreting and framing this
evolving field. Thematic areas of the conference are:

- The centres: the evolution in the foundation of Service Design

- The fringe areas: exploring the boundaries of the Service
Design discipline

- The tectonics: developing the methodological approach and
practices

- New directions: e.g. emerging social and technology-driven
innovation

- Private and public places: cases, strategies, initiatives and
experiences in and across the public, private and third sector.

- Future transformation: the future research, education, and
professional perspectives.

Submission guidelines

Submissions will be accepted in three different categories:

- Short papers

- Full papers

- Case studies/industrial cases

Short papers

Short papers are expected to present significant work in progress
or smaller or more speculative ideas, research that is
controversial or not fully developed yet. They should be
inspirational and spark some discussion among attendees. They
should be in English, in PDF format and not exceed 2500 words or
5 pages (including figures, bibliography and notes) on the
ServDes Template. They should also be submitted electronically
using the short-paper track of the conference submission system.

Full papers

Full papers will present cases, methods or research work,
possibly documented with adequate graphical material. Full papers
must be presented in English, in PDF format and cannot exceed
5000 words or 13 pages (including figures, bibliography and
notes) on the ServDes Template. Full papers must be submitted
electronically using the full-paper track of the conference
submission system.

Case Studies/Industrial cases

Case studies and industrial cases can be submitted on a separate
track. Papers in this track are expected to document empirical
work or any other cases of non-academic project work that maybe
relevant for this conference. must be presented in English, in
PDF format and cannot exceed 3000 words or 6 pages (including
figures, bibliography and notes) on the ServDes Template. Full
papers must be submitted electronically using the Case
study/Industry case track of the conference submission system.

More information, general guidelines and recommendations and
important dates:
http://www.servdes.org/conference-2016-copenhagen-cfp/

http://www.servdes.org/

21-22 November 2015: DESIGNA 2015 / Open call

We are happy to announce that DESIGNA's fifth edition will take
place at University of Beira Interior, Portugal, November 21st
and 22nd 2015. This year, our International Conference on Design
Research will be all about IDENTITY. The call for papers is open
until July 24, so check our website for all the necessary
information

www.designa.ubi.pt

ANNOUNCEMENTS

14-15 September 2015: NUDGEATHON

On the 14th and 15th of September 2015, the second Nudgeathon, a
behavioural change competition founded by the Warwick Business
School, will take place at The Shard in London.

Nudgeathon, as its name implies, is a nudging marathon. The main
objective of the event is to develop implementable solutions to a
given social issue. The idea to organise this event came from
hackathons  events in which programmers work on projects in order
to learn, network and create usable solutions. Over two days,
groups of university students will work on a given real-life
social problem, provided by The Behavioural Insights Team.

Additionally, students will take part in a series of lectures and
workshops on design thinking, behavioural science, public policy
interventions, creativity and more.

Applications are now open and students from all universities in
the UK and beyond are encouraged to apply. More information can
be found at

www.nudgeathon.com
www.facebook.com/nudgeathon.

ACADEMICPEERLEARNING

This list is for those interested in this most interesting and
exciting aspect of student experience: student to student peer
led academic learning.

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/academicpeerlearning

16-17 September 2015: DeL 2015: TECHNOLOGY, CULTURE, PRACTICE

The Teaching and Learning Exchange (formerly CLTAD) are delighted
to announce that registration is now open for DeL 2015:
Technology, Culture, Practice, a conference for art, design and
media higher education professionals in London

As digital technologies continue to transform the creative and
pedagogic landscape, we face exciting possibilities and new
challenges for the future of education. Thisconference aims to
create an intellectually and creatively fertile environment where
art and design educators can develop their thinking and practice
around technologies. We had an overwhelming number of submissions
for the conference and have selected over 30 high quality
presentations and workshops. We have two fantastic keynote
speakers: Paula le Dieu, digital director and Benjamin
Southworth, consultant and sector evangelist. In addition to
this, there will be a series of student plenaries where the UAL
student community will present their take on'Post Digital'.For
full details of the conference and to register, please visit the
DeL website.

DeL 2015 is hosted by University of the Arts London, and will
take place in the prestigious new Central Saint Martins building
in Kings Cross, London. The conference is organised in
partnership with Texas State University and Penn State
University, and in association with the New School, New York. The
early bird rate is available until 31st July.

Twitter @designselearn Conference hashtag: #del2015
Website: www.designsonelearning.net
Enquiries: Claudia Roeschmann, [log in to unmask]

SEARCHING DESIGN RESEARCH NEWS

Searching back issues of DRN is best done through the
customisable JISC search engine at:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/design-research

Look under 'Search Archives'

SERVICES OF THE DESIGN RESEARCH SOCIETY

o  Design Research News is the digital newsletter of the
   Design Research Society.  It communicates news about
   research throughout the world.  It is mailed automatically
   each month and is free of charge.  You may
   subscribe and unsubscribe at the following site:

   http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/design-research.html

o  PHD-DESIGN is a discussion list open for unmoderated
   discussion on all matters related to the PhD in design.
   Topics include philosophies and theories of design, research
   methods, curriculum development, and relations between
   theory and practice. You may subscribe and unsubscribe at
   the following site:

   http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/phd-design.html

o  Design Studies is the International Journal for Design
   Research in Engineering, Architecture, Products and Systems,
   which is published in co-operation with the Design Research
   Society.

   DRS members can subscribe to the journal at special rates.

   http://www.elsevier.nl/locate/inca/30409/

To SUBSCRIBE to DRN:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=design-
research&A=1

To UNSUBSCRIBE FROM DRN:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=design-
research&A=1

Please ensure that when you change email addresses, you let the
server know at:
http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/webadmin?SUBED1=design-
research&A=1

CONTRIBUTIONS

Information to the editor, David Durling
Professor of Design Research, Coventry University, UK