ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS  July 2015

ANTHROPOLOGY-MATTERS July 2015

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

BNIM November 2015 5-day training intensive in biographic narrative based research

Tom Wengraf <[log in to unmask]>

Tom Wengraf <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 1 Jul 2015 11:33:11 +0100

text/plain

Most easily read in RICH TEXT

!FORTY-FIRST!
November  2015
Five-Day Training Intensive
in the
Biographic-Narrative-Interpretive Method
BNIM
Narrative Interview and Interpretation

5 days for 6 people:

2015 Thursday-Friday  November 12th-13th ;
and then Monday-Wednesday 16th - 18th
at
24a Princes Avenue, London N10 3LR
Muswell Hill, North London, United Kingdom

Finding good methods for doing social research that are genuinely concerned
with the macro-societal, the meso-institutional on the one hand and, on the
other,  with subjectivity(ies) and  ' inner worlds' ….
… and where you can shift focus on the spectrum and connections between the
two …. is not easy.

One method of doing such research is biographical-narrative interviewing,
and one of the different methodologies of doing such interviewing, one  is
BNIM: the biographic-narrative interpretive method.

The value of open-narrative interviewing and insightful interpretation is
widely recognised, but rather than having to invent the wheel for
themselves, many people welcome a systematic textbook-backed, tutor-backed,
on-line supported, practical immersion into principles and
procedures-for-practice that have been shown over two decades and many
countries to generate constantly high-quality work.

The BNIM 5-day Intensive Training

For over fifteen years in the UK and in Ireland, as well as in Auckland (New
Zealand), Ljubljana (Slovenia), New York (USA),  Sydney (Australia),
Wagga-Wagga (Australia) , Grand Canaries (Spain), Coimbra (Portugal) we have
been running BNIM intensive trainings designed for PhD students and for
postdoctoral researchers (both individuals and also research teams) for use
in various pure and applied fields. Comments include:

An excerpt from an email we received from one university may be suggestive:

		“… a number of the trainees who graduated this year got top
awards in their doctorate projects... BNIM and narrative projects were
considered to be of a particularly high standard by both internal and
external examiners, and were very well received. The course director was
very impressed and has told me that the standard of the research of those
undertaking these projects [using BNIM] has improved the standard of the
whole cohort.”

More individual responses:

		heartfelt thanks for an amazing workshop week! I've returned
to work reinvigorated with regards to my research, and re-inspired with my
role as an academic (Laurel June 2015)

		…such brilliant training and such hospitality and
collegiality during the week. I really, really appreciate it. I feel that I
benefitted immensely from the training.

		I felt that the whole event was so well put together, there
was so much advice being given (and just the right amount) with lots of
practical hints as well.

		It really made me confident about trusting my instincts with
research and with BNIM in general and about developing my own ideas about
‘what works’ in a practical sense while staying within the main parameters
of the method.

		There was also a good level of theoretical discussion and
given that we have diverse research interests and are at different levels
with projects, I felt that the whole thing worked well
		(Lisa Moran May 2014)

		Elvin – A richness beyond what I could imagine.

		Ian - Your course (that I suggested one of our PhD students
attend) was one of the most enjoyable experiences (and intense!) I have had

		Mark – I could go away and practice now. I liked the balance
of how and why. I really got my head round that and could explain it to
someone else.

		Sasha - thank you, for a wonderful training course. I learnt
so much - and it was a great experience for us all as a team, and in terms
of all of our intellectual and skills development.

Indicators of spread and success

Already completed PhDs, clinical doctorates, and a few MA theses by
researchers using BNIM now number  over 80,  and we know of at least another
20 PhDs, clinical doctorates and post-doctoral research projects in process.
There may well be others. The trend is rising sharply. 23 (three per year)
were submitted in the eight years between 2001 and  2009; but  30 more (10
per year) were submitted just  in the  three years  between 2009 and 2011
(who says qualitative researchers take no account of numbers and can’t
count?)  Well, OK, I haven’t checked the most recent figures, but in 2014
one new BNIM output was published every 10 days.).

A very few of the topics covered: the culture of motor bikers;
reintegration of returning Guatemalan refugees; identity in informal care
and the experiences of carers; men coping with sexual abuse; psychoanalytic
study of breast cancer; love and intimacy; motivation in occupational
therapy; nurses’ and health visitors’ learning and their professional
practices; relationship experiences in psychosis (such as those of, and
with, hearing voices people) and hospitalisation; migration; female
aboriginal head teachers in Australia; students on different types of degree
and training programmes; fishing practices in Uganda, treatment decisions
around and experiences of the elderly in hospitals; memories of wars,
military occupations, and massacres; midwife experiences; children in
orphanages, intergenerational transmission; the cultures of innovative
organisations; motivations for new entry into dairy-farming; the experiences
of post-industrial workers.

Increasing numbers of post-doctoral funded collective research projects use
BNIM (details in the BNIM Short Guide and Detailed Manual).

Anglophone universities involved include Auckland (NZ), Belfast, Birkbeck
College, Birmingham, Central Lancashire, Charles Sturt (Australia), Dublin
(Ireland) , de Montfort, East Anglia, East London, Essex, Exeter, National
University of Ireland (Galway), Idaho (USA), Indiana (USA), Kings College
London, Leeds, Leicester, Manchester, Massey (New Zealand),), Middlesex,
Oxford, Oxford Brookes, Plymouth, Sussex, Queens University Belfast.

Assumptions and uses of BNIM

BNIM assumes that “narrative” expresses both conscious concerns and
unconscious cultural, societal, institutional  and individual
presuppositions and processes. Integrally psycho-societal, BNIM interprets
discourse and interview expression to support research into the lived
experience and reflexivity of individuals and collectives, situated
subjectivity, facilitating an integrative understanding both the ‘inner’ and
the ‘outer’ worlds of ‘historically-evolving
persons-in-historically-evolving situations’, and particularly the
expectedly surprising interactivity of inner and outer world dynamics.

 It especially serves researchers who want to think psycho-societally and
who need a tool that supports understanding spanning macro-sociological,
meso-institutional  and psychological dynamics and structures, and these
treated not statically or separately but as situated, affected and active
historically and biographically.

		For some examples of BNIM case studies, some in areas with
which you might well be  concerned, see maybe the European Union 7-country
SOSTRIS project Biography and social exclusion in Europe: experiences and
life-journeys (2002: Bristol, Policy Press). A multitude of other books,
articles, reports etc. are listed in the Bibliography A of the BNIM Short
Guide (and Detailed Manual), and in the BNIM Quick Sketch, electronic copy
free on request.

BNIM research provides an innovative base for policy review and for better
policy, and for professional practice and the upgrading of existing theory
and case-description practices

When you do the course, you automatically become a member of the
<Biographic-narrative-BNIM> email list where news, questions and discussion
circulate.  Innovative and advanced methodology can be lonely without a
secure base and contact with like-minded people working in the same way as
you.

 The course, the textbook, the free BNIM Quick Sketch (with Bibliography),
the constantly updated BNIM Short Guide and Detailed Manual , and the
dedicated email list (currently around 450 strong) all offer you initial and
ongoing support in using part or all of the BNIM tool-kit in your own work
and for liaising with others.

Summary of the 5-day BNIM-intensive
Designed for PhD students and professional researchers, the course provides
a thorough training in doing BNIM biographic narrative interviews, together
with ‘hands-on experience’ of following BNIM interpretation procedures.
Students develop a sense of how their own research projects might use such
aspects and components.

With two tutors (Tom Wengraf and Deborah Rodriguez) , we ensure close
coaching and support for the intensive work that is needed for you to fully
acquire both the understanding of principles and also the practical capacity
for proceeding with the systematic procedures involved in BNIM – usable both
for BNIM but also for other types of narrative interviewing and
interpretation.

You will be expected to have looked at chapters 6 and 12 of Tom’s textbook,
Qualitative research interviewing: biographic narrative and semi-structured
method (2001: Sage Publications). Before the course starts, you are expected
to have studied some bits and scanned others of the most recent version of
the BNIM Short Guide and Detailed Manual which will be sent to your email
address.

Your previous preparing-by-reading means that most of your time can be spent
on clarification and practical exercises during the 5 days,
learning-by-doing-and-discussing and then rectifying practice.

Programme (subject to revision) for 5-day intensives

Thursday and Friday - interviewing
We start with a short introduction to the Biographic-narrative-interpretive
method, the history of its development, and to the principles behind its
practice. The point and timing of using open-ended biographic narrative
interviews rather than (only) the more conventional semi-structured and
attitude-and-argument focused ones is clarified. You get to see the value of
the 3 quite different subsessions. The bulk of the first two days is then
almost entirely devoted to learning the craft of BNIM interviewing practice.
This involves learning to ask narrative-pointed questions (both open and
also focused) and not inadvertently interrupting or deflecting the
interviewee. Apparently simple, it rapidly becomes clear that such a craft
requires repeated and carefully-(self)-monitored practice to be successfully
achieved. To do this you will interview other trainees  and be interviewed
by them.  Repeated short interview practice exercises and discussion ensure
such success is achieved before the end of the 2nd day.

Monday to Wednesday – interpreting , and theorising from cases
We outline the principles and you engage in the key practices of BNIM
interpretive work . We explain the importance of the twin interpretive
tracks of ‘living of the lived life’ and ‘telling of the told story’
analysis, and micro-analysis, and how you convert the raw transcript into
two series of processed data for each track. You learn the significance of
the future-blind chunk-by-chunk approach peculiar to BNIM by practice – by
doing parts of a narrative text analysis, a micro-analysis and biographical
data analysis. You see the value of bringing the separated tracks together
in an integrated ‘case account’. Finally, on the basis of
case-presentations, you practice systematic case-comparison and the
generalising and particularising theorising towards which BNIM work is
typically oriented.

The course ends with our looking again at how you might best use all or part
of the BNIM approach within your individual research projects, and, given
the existence of sceptical research and applied policy audiences, how to
defend your choice to use such an in-depth biographical research method with
a necessarily low-N sample, either on its own or as part of a multi-method
approach.

After the course, post-course support
 To help you avoid unnecessary errors when you start to practice BNIM
yourself,  we continue to  advise on your eventual design of  an
open-narrative question (the SQUIN)  for your pilot interviews, and then –
if you wish – we give feedback on your first transcript and then on its
initial data-processing for subsequent interpretation.

The BNIM Detailed Manuals (constantly updated) are very powerful resources
for post-course reference and clarification of questions that arise in your
post-course practice.

Course Costs
The tuition fees for the 5-day intensive training (including the important
post-course support mentioned above) are earlybird £825 (or £925
afterwards). .

		 [Further Tutorial Feedback up to the level of the
Case-Account is also now available for those who have completed the 5-day
intensive]

		CONTACT

To get a free digital copy of the BNIM Quick Sketch  and Bibliography, or

for information about the most recently updated version of the electronic
package containing the

BNIM Short Guide bound with the BNIM  Detailed Manuals, plus free tuition,

For information about the November 5-day BNIM intensive

or for  all other inquiries about BNIM,

please don’t hesitate to contact me at [log in to unmask]

* A postgraduate project comprising online journal,    *
* online discussions, teaching and research resources  *
* and international contacts directory.               *
* To join this list or to look at the archived previous       *
* messages visit:                                             *
* http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/Anthropology-Matters.HTML   *
* If you have ALREADY subscribed: to send a message to all    *
* those currently subscribed to the list,just send mail to:   *
*       Enjoyed the mailing list? Why not join the new        *
*       CONTACTS SECTION @ www.anthropologymatters.com        *
*    an international directory of anthropology researchers
*
* To unsubscribe: please log on to jiscmail.ac.uk, and            *
* go to the 'Subscriber's corner' page.                                  *
*