Apologies for cross-posting!
* * *
CFP: Besides the Screen Brazil Conference - Methods and Materials of
UFES: 23-25 November
USP/PUC-SP: 26-28 November
We are looking for papers and projects to be presented and developed at the
next Besides the Screen conference, to be held in November 2015 in the
cities of Vitória and São Paulo, Brazil.
Besides the Screen is an international research network that aims to
reconfigure the field of screen studies by refocusing it on the objects,
processes and practices that exist besides the screen. In its second
Brazilian edition, the conference will be tackling the creative and
discursive dimensions of curatorial practices in audiovisual systems, in an
attempt to understand how the processes of movie selection and exhibition
are able to organize media circuits and affect their configuration.
Confirmed speakers include Thomas Elsaesser (University of Amsterdam, The
Netherlands), Jane Giles (British Film Institute, UK), Sarah Cook
(University of Dundee, Scotland), Virginia Crisp (Coventry University, UK),
Lucas Bambozzi (Labmóvel / FAAP, Brazil), Thereza Farkas (Festival
Videobrasil, Brazil), Roberto Cruz (Duplo Galeria / FEBASP, Brazil).
It is possible to participate with papers, workshops, performances and
artworks that address topics such as:
– Online and offline platforms for the exhibition and circulation of
– Movie theatres and projection spaces
– Festivals on film, video and new image trends (live cinema, videogames,
– Alternative spaces and means of production, selection and diffusion
– Heritage and historiography of audiovisual media
– Audiovisual in the gallery space
– Audiovisual circuits (awards, funding schemes, independent spaces, etc)
– Image territorialization
– Media archeology and exhibition design
– Preservation and exhibition of hyperephemeral media formats (Snapchat,
– Relationships between cinema, art and technology from a curatorial
Participation is free, but attendance is limited. To participate of the
selection process, send an abstract of your proposal (~300 words) and a
short biographical note (~150 words) to the email [log in to unmask],
indicating in the subject SUBMISSION: BESIDES THE SCREEN 2015. The deadline
is 10 August 2015.
The Besides the Screen network is supported by the British Arts &
Humanities Research Council. More info can be found at the page