Help for SPORT-MED Archives

SPORT-MED Archives

SPORT-MED@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

SPORT-MED Home

SPORT-MED  May 2015

SPORT-MED May 2015

SPORTS MEDICINE : MEDICAL: CONDITIONS: OBESITY : PHYSICAL EXERCISE AND FITNESS: Stress, Appetite, and the Neurocognitive Basis for Exercise to Fight Obesity

"David P. Dillard" <[log in to unmask]>

To support research in sports medicine <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 16 May 2015 19:07:32 -0400

TEXT/PLAIN

.

.

SPORTS MEDICINE :

MEDICAL: CONDITIONS: OBESITY :

PHYSICAL EXERCISE AND FITNESS:

Stress, Appetite, and the Neurocognitive Basis
for Exercise to Fight Obesity

.

.

Stress, Appetite, and the Neurocognitive Basis
for Exercise to Fight Obesity

SnapDx

Published on: May 16, 2015

Last Updated: May 16, 2015 8:02 AM MDT

Guest article by Dr. Margaret Lietch.

Calgary Herald

http://calgaryherald.com/health/diet-fitness/stress-appetite-
and-the-neurocognitive-basis-for-exercise-to-fight-obesity

.

A shorter URL for the above link:

.

http://tinyurl.com/lm9kexo

.

.

Within the last thirty years, we have witnessed an explosion in both
agriculture and information technology. At the same time, obesity rates
have risen exponentially.  With an increase in pressure to perform
professionally and limitless availability of hyper palatable food, we have
the fuel and the means to work non-stop. In certain contexts, this is
absolutely great. I love every modern convenience I can find, so it would
be hypocritical to criticize. Yet, when said circumstance leads to ill
health and non-communicable disease, something must be done.

.

snip

.

To begin, exercise is great for the human brain. Without focusing on using
exercise to burn calories, instead we need to view it as a habit that
enhances brain health. In adults, there is evidence to show exercise is
linked with dementia prevention. One study examined a cohort of 1919
middle-aged participants at three points in time, spanning a time period
of 17 years. Physical exercise at the age of 36 years was associated with
a slower rate of memory decline between 43 and 53 years of age.
Participants who stopped exercising after the age of 36 showed a lower
protection of memory function than those who started at 36, suggesting
exercise has to be continuous to be effective.

.

Exercise is an incredible stress buster.  Stress circuitry has a big
overlap with areas in the brain that control appetite and energy
regulation. The hypothalamus is generally regarded as the bodys appetite
and control centre, regulating energy balance and telling us when we need
to eat. The hypothalamus also plays a critical role in stress circuitry:
when we experience stress, we experience increased activity in the
Hypothalamic Pituitary Adrenal (HPA) axis in the brain.

.

Certain activities can have an immediate effect on the HPA. Eating highly
palatable food, for example, reduces the activity at the HPA junction
almost immediately, particularly if the food is high in sugar and fat.
Most rewarding behaviours like sex or sweets can also dim the noise stress
produces in your brain (drugs and alcohol can also dim the noise but with
an array of other consequences  we wouldnt recommend them for stress
relief!). So to reiterate another tired clich You may not have control
over life events, but you can control how you deal with them.

.

.

.

.

Sincerely,
David Dillard
Temple University
(215) 204 - 4584
http://workface.com/e/daviddillard

Net-Gold
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/net-gold
http://net-gold.3172864.n2.nabble.com/

Research Guides

RESEARCH PAPER WRITING
EMPLOYMENT
INTERNSHIPS
HOSPITALITY
DISABILITIES AND EMPLOYMENT
http://guides.temple.edu/c.php?g=134557
INDOOR GARDENING
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/IndoorGardeningUrban/info
Educator-Gold
K12ADMINLIFE

PUBLIC HEALTH RESOURCES INCLUDING EBOLA

Blog
https://educatorgold.wordpress.com/

Articles by David Dillard

Information Literacy (Russell Conwell Center Guide)
http://tinyurl.com/78a4shn

Nina Dillard's Photographs on Net-Gold
http://www.flickr.com/photos/neemers/

Twitter: davidpdillard