Help for LIS-E-RESOURCES Archives

LIS-E-RESOURCES Archives

LIS-E-RESOURCES@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIS-E-RESOURCES Home

LIS-E-RESOURCES  May 2015

LIS-E-RESOURCES May 2015

UKSG Course: E-Resources Technical Update, 25 June, York

Karen Sadler <[log in to unmask]>

An informal open list set up by UKSG - Connecting the Information Community <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 26 May 2015 09:39:15 +0000

**  Apologies for Cross-Posting   **

A few places remain on our E-Resources Technical Update which will be running in York next month as below:

UKSG E-Resources Technical Update
Thursday 25 June 2015, St Bede's, York

Course summary

Many of us working directly with e-resources in libraries would like to feel more confident in our understanding of the related technology.  Managing e-resources within the business and technology constraints has become the mainstay of information provision.  This course provides attendees with a balanced overview of the technical environment which is crucial if we are to do our jobs effectively.
The UKSG E-Resources Technical Update course will give you a good understanding of the underlying technicalities involved in e-resource set-up and delivery, including e-journals (subscription-based or OA), online databases, datasets, and e-books, and will help you feel more confident in your day-to-day work.

Why you should attend

ERTU has become a standard part of the training programme for many e-resources librarians in the UK and beyond and is considered invaluable for anyone working with journals and other e-resources.

Course level and previous knowledge required

If you are an early-year professional, it is recommended that you should first attend the UKSG Introduction to Journals and E-Resources Today, a one-day seminar run in a variety of locations which covers all aspects of the journals and e-resources industry and features an introductory technical session.  Otherwise no previous knowledge is required.

Learning objectives

         Learn how to overcome common problems in implementing e-resources

         Have the tools to help you decide the best way of setting up access to e-resources in your institution/organisation

         Be confident that you understand the technical landscape when dealing with
e-resource providers.

Course content
Please refer to the day's schedule on the website for times.  The course is continually updated, but core content will include:

Classifying E-Resources

         Understanding the types of e-resources available and how they all fit together, including: publisher websites, aggregators, search engines, library resource discovery services, abstracting and indexing services, and social media.

Reader Behaviour

         Understanding reader choice in information discovery

         Popular apps for readers.

Managing User Navigation

         Linking through URL and OpenURL, the development and importance of Link Servers

         The role of library web pages in resource discovery.
Managing Authentication

         User authentication methodologies, including: IP address ranges, proxies, Athens and Shibboleth, single sign-on (SSO)

         Defining and understanding authentication scenarios.

Course presenters

The course is presented by Simon Inger and Tracy Gardner from Renew Training who between them have over 40 years' experience in scholarly publishing.

Feedback from ERTU courses held in 2014
"The speakers were extremely knowledgable and experienced and they understood the subject from both a publisher's and a librarian's perspectives, which is invaluable.  Very clear and engaging presentations."

"Clarified a lot of things for me and gave me a good overall view of the whole field."

"Excellent speakers and friendly atmosphere - very conducive to learning and discussion."

"I would absolutely recommend this course as I found it to be a great overview of all the different technical aspects involved in the e-resources field and a fantastic way of gaining greater understanding of those different aspects."

Fee     (includes refreshments and lunch)
UKSG members       200.00 + 40.00 VAT [20%] (total 240.00)
Non-members           250.00 + 50.00 VAT [20%] (total 300.00)

Venue
St Bede's Pastoral Centre, York

How to book
Please book via the UKSG website - www.uksg.org/event/ERTU250615<http://www.uksg.org/event/ERTU250615>

or contact me as below.

Venue location details will be sent with confirmation of booking.

Cancellations
By Wednesday 17 June 2015       Full refund
From Thursday 18 June 2015       No refund

NB:  UKSG reserves the right to alter or vary the programme due to events or circumstances beyond its reasonable control without being obliged to refund monies.

Karen Sadler
Administrator
UKSG
Tel. +44 (0)1865 310834
Fax. +44(0)1865 310834
www.uksg.org<http://www.uksg.org/>

UKSG, a company registered in England and limited by guarantee
Company Number: 4145775 Registered Charity Number: 1093946
Registered office: Bowman & Hillier Building,
The Old Brewery, Priory Lane, Burford, Oxon OX18 4SG

lis-e-resources is a UKSG list - http://www.uksg.org
Follow us on Twitter:  https://twitter.com/UKSG