Re: Cataloguing rare books

"High, Brandon" <[log in to unmask]>

High, Brandon

Thu, 16 Apr 2015 14:55:47 +0000

Dear all

We do not write blog posts at the Foyle Special Collections library, although we regularly update our web pages with information concerning recently acquired and interesting items. A colleague deals with the library's publicity on social media.

We do have temperature and humidity controlled stacks (which are regularly monitored) and a conservation budget. Generally, we store
only pamphlet envelopes in boxes. When deciding to send a book to a conservator (we do not have in-house conservation facilities), there are a number of factors to take into account, apart from the physical condition of the book. Special provenances and bindings ; the rarity of a copy ; the likelihood that a book will be required by users, or for seminar or exhibition purposes are all considered. Often an externally funded cataloguing project includes money which is earmarked for the conservation of the collection in question. As we are a small team, responsibility for conservation (as with almost every task) is shared among us.

Brandon High

Special Collections Officer
Foyle Special Collections Library
King's College London
From: CIG E-Forum [[log in to unmask]] on behalf of Karen Pierce [[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 16 April 2015 15:15
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: [CIG-E-FORUM] Cataloguing rare books

Dear all,

A couple of questions for you to think about.

How many people blog about their rare book collections? Do you enjoy doing the extra research an item might require for a blog post?  Is this part of your job role, or do you have to squeeze it in when you can?

Conservation issues – do you have funding for conservation?  How do you decide whether an item qualifies for conservation? Do you put everything in boxes? Do you have temperature controlled stacks?

I’d be very interested in hearing about what people do regarding conservation, is it your responsibility or someone else’s?

Karen