CIG-E-FORUM  April 2015

CIG-E-FORUM April 2015

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Standards and provenance - multiple items bound together

Andrew McAinsh <[log in to unmask]>

Andrew McAinsh <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Apr 2015 07:21:25 +0100

text/plain

We have a similar collection of bound pamphlets, which have been given spine or cover titles such as "Pamphlets : Medical, vol. 24", "Pamphlets : Glasgow, v. 12".

The practice here has always been to create a record for the bound volume, with a list of contents in 505a and a list of item numbers or barcodes in a 591. (Not sure why 591 was chosen, but it seems to have been used consistently here for at least 10 years so I am loathe to change it.)

Each individual pamphlet title then gets a separate bib record, with item specific notes in 591 (something like "Copy 1 is item 2 of 7 bound in R1234560424, Pamphlets : Glasgow, v. 12").

This approach usually works well for us, and I think it makes sense to our users. The record for a bound volume can be quite long if there are 20-30 pamphlets in a single volume. Also, if we have multiple copies of a pamphlet appearing in different bound volumes, the 591 field can become complicated: "Copy 1 is item 6 of 9 in [here], Copy 2 is item 1 of 8 in [there]" etc.

Andrew

Andrew McAinsh
Information Officer
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow
232 - 242 St Vincent Street, Glasgow, G2 5RJ
T + 44 (0)141 221 6072 ext 216 | F + 44 (0)141 221 1804

A charity registered in Scotland | Charity registration number SC000847
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow Disclaimer
The information contained within this e-mail and in any attachment is confidential and may be privileged. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this message, delete any copies held on your systems and notify the sender immediately; you should not retain, copy or use this e-mail for any purpose, nor disclose all or any part of its content to any other person.
All messages passing through this gateway are checked for viruses, but we strongly recommend that you check for viruses using your own virus scanner as the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Glasgow will not take responsibility for any damage caused as a result of virus infection.