Re: Cataloguing rare books

Lucy Evans <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 16 Apr 2015 14:52:08 +0000

Oh, that's a shame Matthew. It is a problem which occurs even in big institutions like mine, there is a level of conservatism about images online and I had a bit of a fight on my hands with Twitter when I first came here.

-----Original Message-----

From: CIG E-Forum [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Matthew Baalham

Sent: 16 April 2015 15:46

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: [CIG-E-FORUM] Cataloguing rare books

I too often feel a bit jealous of those who are involved in blogging on behalf of their libraries. At Longleat we have such a wonderfully rich collection, it would be great way to allow more people to know about it. I raised the possibility of starting a blog about our cataloguing project when I first started, but it was refused, on the grounds that we should not put images of our books online, and was seen to be a waste of my time. I'd be interested to know if others have had any similiar experiences. Because Longleat is a private collection, there are real issues around devaluing the collection.

Matthew