bling and chav

Max Richards <[log in to unmask]>

Poetryetc: poetry and poetics

Thu, 15 Jan 2015 07:37:05 +1100

Bling I knew, but chav??
In case others need the help I just googled for, here it is:

"Oafish working-class teenagers in Burberry baseball caps and chunky jewellery are poised to be recognised for their contribution to English.
For both "chav" and "bling" are in contention to be among words of the century in a list being compiled by the Oxford English Dictionary. They are joined by "scam" and by slang terms such as "minging" and "lush".
Despite associations with crime and yobbishness, experts believe the words are among the most important added to the language in recent years.
The term "chav", meaning low-class and uneducated, made a meteoric rise from non-existence in 2004 and is a near-perfect example of the speed at which today's words can spread.
Now do I have to look up minging?
M in Seattle