Re: WebPA LDAP Authentication

Paul Newman <[log in to unmask]>

WebPA <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 26 Jan 2015 16:06:26 +0000

Hi,

I think there are two possible solutions.  In short, I'd recommend Option 1, but I've never tried either method myself, so I'm afraid I can only point vaguely in the right direction.

Option 1.  Define your LDAP host as  ldaps://your.host.ac.uk  and setup your server's OpenSSL (and possibly LDAP) config settings accordingly.  There are some helpful looking comments on the PHP LDAP manual pages, starting with this one here:

http://php.net/manual/en/function.ldap-connect.php#36156

Option 2.  This is something I've recommended in the past, but in connection with a different application that didn't require code changes. Unfortunately, WebPA does require changes, so it's not a great solution.

Change the code in the /include/classes/class_LDAPAuthenticator.php to add a call to the function ldap_start_tls().  There's a bit of information about this function in the PHP manual:

http://php.net/manual/en/function.ldap-start-tls.php

I'm not going to say much more on Option 2, because I think Option 1 is likely to be much easier to get working!

If you do have any success, please post a message about it.  I'm sure it will interest others, and it's something we could document to help users in the future.

--

Paul Newman

Senior PHP Developer

Centre for Engineering and Design Education

Loughborough University

Tel: +44 (0)1509 22 7175