JiscMail Logo
Email discussion lists for the UK Education and Research communities

Help for OCC-HEALTH Archives


OCC-HEALTH Archives

OCC-HEALTH Archives


OCC-HEALTH@JISCMAIL.AC.UK


View:

Message:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Topic:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

By Author:

[

First

|

Previous

|

Next

|

Last

]

Font:

Proportional Font

LISTSERV Archives

LISTSERV Archives

OCC-HEALTH Home

OCC-HEALTH Home

OCC-HEALTH  January 2015

OCC-HEALTH January 2015

Options

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Log In

Get Password

Get Password

Subject:

Ffw Service

From:

Janet Patterson <[log in to unmask]>

Reply-To:

Occupational Health mailing list <[log in to unmask]>

Date:

Wed, 21 Jan 2015 07:45:35 +0000

Content-Type:

text/plain

Parts/Attachments:

Parts/Attachments

text/plain (1 lines)

Hi Jo,

 The FfW service needs to be promoted and "sold" for what it is which is a 4 - 12 week absence assessment and advisory service - this is it and it can only be initiated if the employee is willing. It is a massively disadvantaged service as assessors will not have any occupational insight into the work environment and will have to fact find their way through the process.  

The employer referral route is fraught with consent issues that frankly are better dealt with existing providers. 

The route via GP is dependant upon the GP referring and they have not yet received advice on their role.  

If there are existing OH provision the FfW service is not supposed to double up work but "work alongside" or leave to the current arrangements.

I have been involved with the DWP on the information available for employees, employers and GPs on this - I am not sure when it will be available - hopefully soon!

My opinion is that as occupational health providers we should be educating businesses on  what the FfW service is (and is not) and the benefits of utilising existing OH services who know the business/ person and occupational setting.  Remember we are occupational health FfW service is an advise service on rehabbing individuals who only fall in 4 - 12 week absence!

I hope that helps.

Regards

Janet



-----Original Message-----

From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Soh vanilla

Sent: 20 January 2015 13:24

To: [log in to unmask]

Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] OCC-HEALTH Digest - 16 Jan 2015 to 19 Jan 2015 (#2015-11)



Hi Jo



As a sole trader I have been concerned about this for some time and am waiting to see what happens once it becomes fully operational.



It will in my opinion have a negative impact on work flow for OH whether an inhouse service or not. It's being sold as a freebie that they have to have.



Kind regards

Carmela







Sent from my iPhone



> On 20 Jan 2015, at 00:03, OCC-HEALTH automatic digest system <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> 

> There are 8 messages totaling 4137 lines in this issue.

> 

> Topics of the day:

> 

>  1. FW: Fit For Work (3)

>  2. Chaperones (5)

> 

> ********************************

> Please remove this footer before replying.

> 

> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

> 

> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

> 

> ----------------------------------------------------------------------

> 

> Date:    Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:33:26 +0000

> From:    Jo Clayton <[log in to unmask]>

> Subject: FW: Fit For Work

> 

> 

> Dear All,

> 

> The email below has just been sent out from HR to managers... should I be concerned??

> 

> I'm having a panic attack!

> 

> Best wishes

> Jo

> 

> 

> Hi All

> 

> 

> 

> http://fitforwork.org/employer/

> 

> 

> Fit for Work is a free and impartial advice service for, employers, GPs and employees. It is designed to support people in work with health conditions and to help with sickness absence.

> 

> 

> Fit for Work is intended to complement, existing occupational health provision.

> 

> 

> 

> I believe that this is in response to the change's to GP fit -notes which haven't necessary been used to their full advantage. It also assists with documentation, advice for health surveillance and pre-employment screening. The is also a free advice line run by specialists.

> 

> 

> 

> Kind regards

> 

> 

> 

> Emma

> 

> 

> This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the 

> intended recipient please inform the sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.

> 

> Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

> 

> Thank you for your co-operation.

> 

> [125yr_email_footer]

> 

> 

> 

> 

> E-MAIL DISCLAIMER

> 

> This e-mail and any attachments are intended for the named recipient only and are to be treated as confidential unless the College agrees otherwise. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately deleting this e-mail without making copies or using it in any way. The College may be legally obliged to disclose e-mail communications in a response to a legitimate request pursuant to both the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Data Protection Act 1998. City College Plymouth reserves the right to monitor, in accordance with its legal obligations, any and all aspects of its e-mail system, including the content of e-mails received, but will not do so routinely. City College Plymouth cannot guarantee that this e-mail or any attachments to it are virus free and does not accept any liability for any damage, costs or loss resulting from any virus infection. Any views expressed in the message are those of the sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the College.

> 

> ********************************

> Please remove this footer before replying.

> 

> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

> 

> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

> 

> ------------------------------

> 

> Date:    Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:45:15 +0000

> From:    Irene Douse <[log in to unmask]>

> Subject: Re: FW: Fit For Work

> 

> This is very poor practice without discussing with you first. Likely to be for the managers benefit I would be asking.

> Irene

> 

> 

> ________________________________

> From: Jo Clayton <[log in to unmask]>

> To: [log in to unmask]

> Sent: Monday, January 19, 2015 10:33 AM

> Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] FW: Fit For Work

> 

> 

> 

> 

>   

> Dear All,

>   

> The email below has just been sent out from HR to managers… should I be concerned?? 

>   

> I’m having a panic attack! 

>   

> Best wishes

> Jo

>   

>   

> Hi All

>   

> http://fitforwork.org/employer/

>   

> Fit for Work is a free and impartial advice service for, employers, GPs and employees. It is designed to support people in work with health conditions and to help with sickness absence. 

>   

> Fit for Work is intended to complement, existing occupational health provision.  

>   

> I believe that this is in response to the change’s to GP fit –notes which haven’t necessary been used to their full advantage. It also assists with documentation, advice for health surveillance and pre-employment screening. The is also a free advice line run by specialists.  

>   

> Kind regards

>   

> Emma

>   

>   

> This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the 

> intended recipient please inform the sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.

>   

> Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

> 

> Thank you for your co-operation. 

>    

> 

> 

>    

> E-MAIL DISCLAIMER

> 

> This e-mail and any attachments are intended for the named recipient 

> only and are to be treated as confidential unless the College agrees otherwise. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately deleting this e-mail without making copies or using it in any way. The College may be legally obliged to disclose e-mail communications in a response to a legitimate request pursuant to both the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Data Protection Act 1998. City College Plymouth reserves the right to monitor, in accordance with its legal obligations, any and all aspects of its e-mail system, including the content of e-mails received, but will not do so routinely. City College Plymouth cannot guarantee that this e-mail or any attachments to it are virus free and does not accept any liability for any damage, costs or loss resulting from any virus infection. Any views expressed in the message are those of the sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the College.

> 

> ********************************

> Please remove this footer before replying. 

> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: 

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

> 

> ********************************

> Please remove this footer before replying.

> 

> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

> 

> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

> 

> ------------------------------

> 

> Date:    Mon, 19 Jan 2015 10:53:47 +0000

> From:    Jo Clayton <[log in to unmask]>

> Subject: Re: FW: Fit For Work

> 

> Hi Irene,

> 

> I know! I’m quite distressed about it to be honest.

> 

> Jo

> 

> From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On 

> Behalf Of Irene Douse

> Sent: 19 January 2015 10:45

> To: [log in to unmask]

> Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] FW: Fit For Work

> 

> This is very poor practice without discussing with you first. Likely to be for the managers benefit I would be asking.

> Irene

> [http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/40.gif]

> From: Jo Clayton 

> <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>

> To: [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>

> Sent: Monday, January 19, 2015 10:33 AM

> Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] FW: Fit For Work

> 

> 

> Dear All,

> 

> The email below has just been sent out from HR to managers… should I be concerned??

> 

> I’m having a panic attack!

> 

> Best wishes

> Jo

> 

> 

> Hi All

> 

> http://fitforwork.org/employer/

> 

> Fit for Work is a free and impartial advice service for, employers, GPs and employees. It is designed to support people in work with health conditions and to help with sickness absence.

> 

> Fit for Work is intended to complement, existing occupational health provision.

> 

> I believe that this is in response to the change’s to GP fit –notes which haven’t necessary been used to their full advantage. It also assists with documentation, advice for health surveillance and pre-employment screening. The is also a free advice line run by specialists.

> 

> Kind regards

> 

> Emma

> 

> 

> This message may contain confidential information. If you are not the 

> intended recipient please inform the sender that you have received the message in error before deleting it.

> 

> Please do not disclose, copy or distribute information in this e-mail or take any action in reliance on its contents: to do so is strictly prohibited and may be unlawful.

> 

> Thank you for your co-operation.

> 

> [125yr_email_footer]

> 

> 

> 

> E-MAIL DISCLAIMER This e-mail and any attachments are intended for the named recipient only and are to be treated as confidential unless the College agrees otherwise. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately deleting this e-mail without making copies or using it in any way. The College may be legally obliged to disclose e-mail communications in a response to a legitimate request pursuant to both the Freedom of Information Act 2000 and the Data Protection Act 1998. City College Plymouth reserves the right to monitor, in accordance with its legal obligations, any and all aspects of its e-mail system, including the content of e-mails received, but will not do so routinely. City College Plymouth cannot guarantee that this e-mail or any attachments to it are virus free and does not accept any liability for any damage, costs or loss resulting from any virus infection. Any views expressed in the message are those of the sender and may not necessarily reflect the views of the College.

> ******************************** Please remove this footer before replying.

> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: 

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

> 

> ******************************** Please remove this footer before replying.

> 

> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

> 

> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: 

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

> 

> ********************************

> Please remove this footer before replying.

> 

> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

> 

> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HE

> 

> ------------------------------

> 

> Date:    Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:41:44 +0000

> From:    obianuju ekwueme <[log in to unmask]>

> Subject: Chaperones

> 

> Dear List,

> 

> I have a client whose spouse follows to see me in the clinic.

> The employee tells me how he feels and the spouse tries to refute it.

> For instance he feels much better and wants to return back to work as 

> a teacher. I could see from my previous consultation that he looks 

> much better  having implemented what we discussed. He confirmed to me 

> that he feels much better and wants to return back to work as soon as 

> possible. I was about  to initiate a  return to work program when the 

> spouse who left her bag in the consulting room to go to toilet,  came 

> out of the toilet, came  into the clinic  heard what we were 

> discussing and said  'no' that the  GP  have just given him another 

> four weeks  sick note. I tried to explain the position of the GP sick 

> note and myself and she wants to argue. I observe that the same thing 

> happened the last time I saw this gentle man Should I stop his spouse accompanying him to my  clinics?

> She tends to want to make decisions for this gentleman who is compos 

> mentis and not  a child.

> Where does chaperones stand in occupational health consultation?

> Medical defense organisation states that relations should not act as 

> cheperones So can an occupational health nurse ask a disruptive 

> relation to leave the consulting room I tried to check the NMC site 

> for guidance but  it referred me *to  *GMC good medical practice 

> explanatory guidance 

> <http://www.nmc-uk.org/Documents/Consultations/NMC-responses/2012/NMC-

> response-GMC-good-medical-practice-consultation-%20June2012.pdf>

> which

> have not mentioned anything about occupational health.consultation.

> I await your contribution. You can answer me off list if it is more 

> convenient. Thanks

> 

> Virginia. Ekwueme

> Email; [log in to unmask]

> 

> ********************************

> Please remove this footer before replying.

> 

> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

> 

> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

> 

> ------------------------------

> 

> Date:    Mon, 19 Jan 2015 17:15:32 +0000

> From:    Irene Douse <[log in to unmask]>

> Subject: Re: Chaperones

> 

> Ask her to stay in the waiting area. He may well be happy for you to make that call. If he wants her there tell her that her comments cannot be taken into account. Carry on with your RTW plan and pass this to management. Add that the spouse disagrees and feels that .......  However the person feels that....... it is up to management then. Remind them that the GP fit note is advisory only and subject to Occupational Health Advice. 

> Irene

> 

> 

> ________________________________

> From: obianuju ekwueme <[log in to unmask]>

> To: [log in to unmask]

> Sent: Monday, January 19, 2015 4:41 PM

> Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Chaperones

> 

> 

> 

> Dear List,

> 

> I have a client whose spouse follows to see me in the clinic.

> The employee tells me how he feels and the spouse tries to refute it.

> For instance he feels much better and wants to return back to work as 

> a teacher. I could see from my previous consultation that he looks much better  having implemented what we discussed. He confirmed to me that he feels much better and wants to return back to work as soon as possible. I was about  to initiate a  return to work program when the spouse who left her bag in the consulting room to go to toilet,  came out of the toilet, came  into the clinic  heard what we were discussing and said  'no' that  the  GP  have just given him another four weeks  sick note. I tried to explain the position of the GP sick note and myself and she wants to argue. I observe that the same thing happened the last time I saw this gentle man Should I stop his spouse accompanying him to my  clinics?

> She tends to want to make decisions for this gentleman who is compos mentis  and not  a child.

> Where does chaperones stand in occupational health consultation?

> Medical defense organisation states that relations should not act as 

> cheperones So can an occupational health nurse ask a disruptive 

> relation to leave the consulting room

> 

> I tried to check the NMC site for guidance but  it referred me to  GMC good medical practice explanatory guidance which have not mentioned anything about occupational health.consultation.

> I await your contribution. You can answer me off list if it is more 

> convenient. Thanks

> 

> Virginia. Ekwueme

> Email; [log in to unmask]

> ********************************

> Please remove this footer before replying. 

> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: 

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

> 

> ********************************

> Please remove this footer before replying.

> 

> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

> 

> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

> 

> ------------------------------

> 

> Date:    Mon, 19 Jan 2015 17:40:05 +0000

> From:    "[log in to unmask]" <[log in to unmask]>

> Subject: Re: Chaperones

> 

> Interesting one. I am responding ³on-list² as I am sure several other 

> OHNs have found  or will find themselves in a similar position.

> 

> I would go back to first principles. Mrs X is not exactly acting as a 

> chaperone, she is acting more as a companion, even though they are married.

> I have never had any problems a spouse, union rep or friend 

> accompanying an employee to a consultation but I clarify the role of 

> OH and set up ground rules at the start of the consultation ie that 

> the consultation is between the employee and myself as the OHN. I 

> confirm to them that I will base my recommendations to management on 

> what is discussed between myself and the client. I would not get 

> involved in any lengthy discussions with Mrs X she is not the client.

> 

> My experience is that the success of such a consultation depends on 

> what the client and their advocate understand about the role of OH and 

> the friend¹s role as a companion. Poor understanding of the process 

> often leads to suspicion and concerns that you are intentionally 

> acting against the interests of the client. Mrs X may misinterpret 

> your motives assuming that you are going to be a tool of management. I 

> suspect that Mrs X has not fully understood the role of OH and is not 

> aware that you are giving an occupational health opinion and making 

> recommendations to management regarding a return to work recovery 

> strategy. It is up to the manager whether they wish to accept those 

> recommendations or not. Of course  your recommendations must be  based 

> on sound clinical evidence and reasoning looking through the lens of a 

> specialist OHN. Perhaps she is unaware that following a sustained 

> period of absence a phased RTW is more effective than returning to a 

> full work responsibility and that work is generally good for health.

> 

> As far as asking the relative to leave the room ­ it would depend how 

> you handled that one. Mrs X may not consider that she is being 

> disruptive, if she thinks you are acting as a tool of management and 

> not acting in the best interest of her husband then it is unsurprising 

> you are having this experience. Once there is mistrust it can be very 

> difficult to turn the situation round, she may have an entrenched but 

> eroneous idea of your impartiality, and you indicate this is the 

> second time you have had this experience. Do you have a more senior 

> OHN (or OHP) you can discuss this with as part of a process of continuing professional supervision.

> 

> Anne

> 

> 

>> On 19/01/2015 16:41, "obianuju ekwueme" <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> 

>> Dear List,

>> 

>> I have a client whose spouse follows to see me in the clinic.

>> The employee tells me how he feels and the spouse tries to refute it.

>> For instance he feels much better and wants to return back to work as 

>> a teacher. I could see from my previous consultation that he looks 

>> much better  having implemented what we discussed. He confirmed to me 

>> that he feels much better and wants to return back to work as soon as 

>> possible. I was about  to initiate a  return to work program when the 

>> spouse who left her bag in the consulting room to go to toilet,  came 

>> out of the toilet, came  into the clinic  heard what we were 

>> discussing and said  'no' that  the  GP  have just given him another 

>> four weeks  sick note. I tried to explain the position of the GP sick 

>> note and myself and she wants to argue. I observe that the same thing 

>> happened the last time I saw this gentle man Should I stop his spouse accompanying him to my  clinics?

>> She tends to want to make decisions for this gentleman who is compos 

>> mentis and not  a child.

>> Where does chaperones stand in occupational health consultation?

>> Medical defense organisation states that relations should not act as 

>> cheperones So can an occupational health nurse ask a disruptive 

>> relation to leave the consulting room I tried to check the NMC site 

>> for guidance but  it referred me to  GMC good medical practice 

>> explanatory guidance 

>> <http://www.nmc-uk.org/Documents/Consultations/NMC-responses/2012/NMC

>> -response -GMC-good-medical-practice-consultation-%20June2012.pdf>  

>> which have not mentioned anything about occupational 

>> health.consultation.

>> I await your contribution. You can answer me off list if it is more 

>> convenient. Thanks

>> 

>> Virginia. Ekwueme

>> Email; [log in to unmask]

>> ******************************** Please remove this footer before replying.

>> 

>> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

>> 

>> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

>> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

> 

> 

> ********************************

> Please remove this footer before replying.

> 

> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

> 

> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

> 

> ------------------------------

> 

> Date:    Mon, 19 Jan 2015 17:53:44 +0000

> From:    Allison Caine <[log in to unmask]>

> Subject: Re: Chaperones

> 

> There is no reason for the spouse  to accompany her husband. This is an employment situation and not a hospital/GP appointment.

> There is no right to have a companion unless the individual has special needs or you think their presence may give added valuable information for you to reach an informed decision.

> You need to inform HR that,  as this is not a discipline matter he  does not require accompanying. Most HR I work with would discuss this with  the employee directly and refuse the spouses presence without you having to deal with it, as her behaviour is unacceptable. 

> 

> Kind regards,

> Allison Caine

> Director OHBM Ltd

> Direct Phone/Fax: 01625 268609

> Mobile: 07733 125558

> Email: [log in to unmask]

> Website: www.ohbm.co.uk

> Sent from my iPhone

> 

>> On 19 Jan 2015, at 17:15, Irene Douse <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>> 

>> Ask her to stay in the waiting area. He may well be happy for you to make that call. If he wants her there tell her that her comments cannot be taken into account. Carry on with your RTW plan and pass this to management. Add that the spouse disagrees and feels that .......  However the person feels that....... it is up to management then. Remind them that the GP fit note is advisory only and subject to Occupational Health Advice.

>> Irene

>> 

>> From: obianuju ekwueme <[log in to unmask]>

>> To: [log in to unmask]

>> Sent: Monday, January 19, 2015 4:41 PM

>> Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Chaperones

>> 

>> Dear List,

>> 

>> I have a client whose spouse follows to see me in the clinic.

>> The employee tells me how he feels and the spouse tries to refute it.

>> For instance he feels much better and wants to return back to work as 

>> a teacher. I could see from my previous consultation that he looks much better  having implemented what we discussed. He confirmed to me that he feels much better and wants to return back to work as soon as possible. I was about  to initiate a  return to work program when the spouse who left her bag in the consulting room to go to toilet,  came out of the toilet, came  into the clinic  heard what we were discussing and said  'no' that  the  GP  have just given him another four weeks  sick note. I tried to explain the position of the GP sick note and myself and she wants to argue. I observe that the same thing happened the last time I saw this gentle man Should I stop his spouse accompanying him to my  clinics?

>> She tends to want to make decisions for this gentleman who is compos mentis  and not  a child.

>> Where does chaperones stand in occupational health consultation?

>> Medical defense organisation states that relations should not act as 

>> cheperones So can an occupational health nurse ask a disruptive 

>> relation to leave the consulting room I tried to check the NMC site for guidance but  it referred me to  GMC good medical practice explanatory guidance which have not mentioned anything about occupational health.consultation.

>> I await your contribution. You can answer me off list if it is more 

>> convenient. Thanks

>> 

>> Virginia. Ekwueme

>> Email; [log in to unmask]

>> ******************************** Please remove this footer before replying.

>> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

>> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: 

>> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

>> 

>> 

>> ******************************** Please remove this footer before replying.

>> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

>> 

>> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: 

>> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

> 

> ********************************

> Please remove this footer before replying.

> 

> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

> 

> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

> 

> ------------------------------

> 

> Date:    Mon, 19 Jan 2015 18:21:58 -0000

> From:    Karen Coomer <[log in to unmask]>

> Subject: Re: Chaperones

> 

> I agree with Alison on this one. In my experience HR normally know about a ‘difficult spouse’ and have in numerous cases I have dealt with have told them to wait in the waiting room. If they do accompany them I have a standard introductory speech which includes me asking them to leave if I feel it is affecting my ability to do an OH assessment, it is said nicely but firmly and I seldom have a problem.

> 

> Karen

> 

> 

> 

> 

> 

> 

> 

> From: [log in to unmask] [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On 

> Behalf Of Allison Caine

> Sent: 19 January 2015 17:54

> To: [log in to unmask]

> Subject: Re: [OCC-HEALTH] Chaperones

> 

> 

> 

> There is no reason for the spouse  to accompany her husband. This is an employment situation and not a hospital/GP appointment.

> 

> There is no right to have a companion unless the individual has special needs or you think their presence may give added valuable information for you to reach an informed decision.

> 

> You need to inform HR that,  as this is not a discipline matter he  does not require accompanying. Most HR I work with would discuss this with  the employee directly and refuse the spouses presence without you having to deal with it, as her behaviour is unacceptable. 

> 

> 

> 

> Kind regards,

> Allison Caine

> Director OHBM Ltd

> Direct Phone/Fax: 01625 268609 <tel:01625%20268609>

> Mobile: 07733 125558 <tel:07733%20125558>

> Email: [log in to unmask]

> Website: www.ohbm.co.uk <http://www.ohbm.co.uk/>

> 

> Sent from my iPhone

> 

> 

> On 19 Jan 2015, at 17:15, Irene Douse <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> 

> Ask her to stay in the waiting area. He may well be happy for you to make that call. If he wants her there tell her that her comments cannot be taken into account. Carry on with your RTW plan and pass this to management. Add that the spouse disagrees and feels that .......  However the person feels that....... it is up to management then. Remind them that the GP fit note is advisory only and subject to Occupational Health Advice. 

> 

> Irene

> 

>  <http://us.i1.yimg.com/us.yimg.com/i/mesg/tsmileys2/40.gif>

> 

> From: obianuju ekwueme <[log in to unmask]>

> To: [log in to unmask]

> Sent: Monday, January 19, 2015 4:41 PM

> Subject: [OCC-HEALTH] Chaperones

> 

> 

> 

> Dear List,

> 

> 

> 

> I have a client whose spouse follows to see me in the clinic.

> 

> The employee tells me how he feels and the spouse tries to refute it.

> 

> For instance he feels much better and wants to return back to work as 

> a teacher. I could see from my previous consultation that he looks 

> much better  having implemented what we discussed. He confirmed to me 

> that he feels much better and wants to return back to work as soon as 

> possible. I was about  to initiate a  return to work program when the 

> spouse who left her bag in the consulting room to go to toilet,  came 

> out of the toilet, came  into the clinic  heard what we were 

> discussing and said  'no' that  the  GP  have just given him another 

> four weeks  sick note. I tried to explain the position of the GP sick 

> note and myself and she wants to argue. I observe that the same thing 

> happened the last time I saw this gentle man

> 

> Should I stop his spouse accompanying him to my  clinics?

> 

> She tends to want to make decisions for this gentleman who is compos mentis  and not  a child.

> 

> Where does chaperones stand in occupational health consultation?

> 

> Medical defense organisation states that relations should not act as 

> cheperones

> 

> So can an occupational health nurse ask a disruptive relation to leave 

> the consulting room

> 

> 

> I tried to check the NMC site for guidance but  it referred me to   <http://www.nmc-uk.org/Documents/Consultations/NMC-responses/2012/NMC-response-GMC-good-medical-practice-consultation-%20June2012.pdf> GMC good medical practice explanatory guidance which have not mentioned anything about occupational health.consultation.

> 

> I await your contribution. You can answer me off list if it is more 

> convenient. Thanks

> 

> 

> 

> Virginia. Ekwueme

> 

> Email; [log in to unmask]

> 

> ******************************** Please remove this footer before replying. 

> 

> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

> 

> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: 

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

> 

> 

> 

> ******************************** Please remove this footer before replying. 

> 

> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

> 

> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: 

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

> 

> ******************************** Please remove this footer before replying. 

> 

> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES: http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

> 

> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS: 

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

> 

> 

> ********************************

> Please remove this footer before replying.

> 

> OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html

> 

> CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

> http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

> 

> ------------------------------

> 

> End of OCC-HEALTH Digest - 16 Jan 2015 to 19 Jan 2015 (#2015-11)

> ****************************************************************



********************************

Please remove this footer before replying.



OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html



CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH







********************************

Please remove this footer before replying.



OCC-HEALTH ARCHIVES:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/lists/occ-health.html



CONFERENCES AND STUDY DAYS:

http://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/cgi-bin/filearea.cgi?LMGT1=OCC-HEALTH

Top of Message | Previous Page | Permalink

JiscMail Tools


RSS Feeds and Sharing


Advanced Options


Archives

January 2020
December 2019
November 2019
October 2019
September 2019
August 2019
July 2019
June 2019
May 2019
April 2019
March 2019
February 2019
January 2019
December 2018
November 2018
October 2018
September 2018
August 2018
July 2018
June 2018
May 2018
April 2018
March 2018
February 2018
January 2018
December 2017
November 2017
October 2017
September 2017
August 2017
July 2017
June 2017
May 2017
April 2017
March 2017
February 2017
January 2017
December 2016
November 2016
October 2016
September 2016
August 2016
July 2016
June 2016
May 2016
April 2016
March 2016
February 2016
January 2016
December 2015
November 2015
October 2015
September 2015
August 2015
July 2015
June 2015
May 2015
April 2015
March 2015
February 2015
January 2015
December 2014
November 2014
October 2014
September 2014
August 2014
July 2014
June 2014
May 2014
April 2014
March 2014
February 2014
January 2014
December 2013
November 2013
October 2013
September 2013
August 2013
July 2013
June 2013
May 2013
April 2013
March 2013
February 2013
January 2013
December 2012
November 2012
October 2012
September 2012
August 2012
July 2012
June 2012
May 2012
April 2012
March 2012
February 2012
January 2012
December 2011
November 2011
October 2011
September 2011
August 2011
July 2011
June 2011
May 2011
April 2011
March 2011
February 2011
January 2011
December 2010
November 2010
October 2010
September 2010
August 2010
July 2010
June 2010
May 2010
April 2010
March 2010
February 2010
January 2010
December 2009
November 2009
October 2009
September 2009
August 2009
July 2009
June 2009
May 2009
April 2009
March 2009
February 2009
January 2009
December 2008
November 2008
October 2008
September 2008
August 2008
July 2008
June 2008
May 2008
April 2008
March 2008
February 2008
January 2008
December 2007
November 2007
October 2007
September 2007
August 2007
July 2007
June 2007
May 2007
April 2007
March 2007
February 2007
January 2007
2006
2005
2004
2003
2002
2001
2000
1999


JiscMail is a Jisc service.

View our service policies at https://www.jiscmail.ac.uk/policyandsecurity/ and Jisc's privacy policy at https://www.jisc.ac.uk/website/privacy-notice

Secured by F-Secure Anti-Virus CataList Email List Search Powered by the LISTSERV Email List Manager