COMMUNITYPSYCHUK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

COMMUNITYPSYCHUK Home

COMMUNITYPSYCHUK  January 2015

COMMUNITYPSYCHUK January 2015

Re: Bad science

Laura Lawrence <[log in to unmask]>

The UK Community Psychology Discussion List <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 13 Jan 2015 15:56:46 +0000

Thank you for forwarding this Wendy only just got around to signing but
took me no time at all to know what I thought and change to wording to
suit me. Just so wrong on so many counts:(
Laura

PS You don't know me or anything, I just thought that sometimes I wonder
whether to send something or not to some email groups, so wanted to say
it was fine with me!

Just for info I wrote:>

"Depressingly I was not shocked to hear about the research that the
National Institutes of Health conducts and funds. In my teens I was
shocked, now in my 40s I'm just depressed such  cruel and archaic
maternal deprivation experiments still continue.
> Leaving aside others arguments about such inhumane and contrived experiments having little relevance to human mental health, as this isn't a strong enough argument for some I know.
> Also leaving aside moral arguments against such experiments abusing living creatures for our own gains, whatever those gains might be..
> My main argument is that we already know the results. I personally live with the impact of extreme infant neglect, as do many others I know who have like me adopted a child.
> We and 'experts' around our children and those conducting research with real people about their experiences and day to day life, KNOW ALREADY the impacts. Some of us (and others) are less self serving and macarbe and so interested not just in knowing the effects but
in what we do RIGHT NOW for people living with history of abuse and
neglect. There is a big enough pit to fill with money to provide some of
the things we know will work. That support in terms of various forms of
therapy and training and support for parents, teachers and individuals
is where this money shoudl be going.
  Use what we know from Harlow's early experiments and better since and
LISTEN to those who are suffering.  Put down the instruments of torture,
leave the monkeys alone, shut the labs and get to it asap.