BRITARCH December 2014

Re: Sunrise at Rockhenge

John Wood <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 2 Dec 2014 12:47:20 +0000

Rather than moaning about the cost of the tunnel and the potential damage
it might cause to the WHS why don't we actively propose a cheaper
alternative?
Even better why don't we set up a consortium to tender a more competitive
solution? After all we are supposed to the experts within this heritage
preserving thing and so one might expect at least the public to listen.
It isn't even that we haven't got the technical knowhow or capabilty of
producing a cheaper alternative such as a landscaped road widening project.
I think it could prove highly profitable even at half the proposed cost as
labour costs could be kept to an absolute minimum.
We could employ forced..sorry..voluntary labour from subsistence paid
navvies..sorry..archaeology undergraduates to do most..sorry..all of the
hard work.
The road widening could be done under the guise of some meaningful
archaeological exploration. The landscaping could be conveniently
considered as an experimental archaeology project recreating past
landscapes.
We could even get the navvies..sorry undergraduates..to lay the road too as
an experimental project into Roman road building. If anyone asks why we are
using tarmac the answer could be, "The Romans would have used it had they
had it!" I think most undergraduates would fall for that.
We ought to use the resources we have to hand and I cannot see one
archaeology undergraduate being  not willing to work on this valuable
project.  Even if they are prompted with the possibility of not gaining
ther degree if they fail to comply. If anything it would give them a
realistic understanding of their future prospects within an archaeological
career, whilst the rest of ys could all retire with millions in the bank!