Re: Writing an OER workshop

Leo Havemann <[log in to unmask]>

Open Education Special Interest Group <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 5 Nov 2014 13:58:27 -0000

I think the term recycled (or even upcycled?!) is quite useful when marketing a workshop to staff - seems useful to use words that refer to the actual problem/solution or practice, rather than names of systems, obscure terminology or acronyms that may not mean a lot to people.

But having said that, once you get the staff members in the room I think you can explain to them what we mean by OER and this term is now so established in our communities and literature that I am not sure it is practical to think we could start calling it something else.

Cheers
Leo

-----Original Message-----
From: Open Education Special Interest Group [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bird, Terese M.
Sent: 05 November 2014 13:57
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Writing an OER workshop

Hi Alistair --
Agree, webinar was excellent, thanks to all who spoke and organised it!

Recycled --- I suppose perhaps it may be seen as lower quality by some people although I don't think of it that way. Someone else in the chat box responded to my comment 'How about the term 'upcycled'?'  I totally love that suggestion and wonder what other people think?

Maybe it's too soon to replace the term OER but supplementing it yes agree with that.

As for next time's webinar, perhaps we can have a bit of question-answer-discussion at the end?

Cheers all!
Terese Bird, Leicester Learning Institute