Help for ENERGY-AND-SOCIETY Archives

ENERGY-AND-SOCIETY Archives

ENERGY-AND-SOCIETY@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ENERGY-AND-SOCIETY Home

ENERGY-AND-SOCIETY  November 2014

ENERGY-AND-SOCIETY November 2014

PhD Studentship - Horizon Centre for Doctoral Training in My Life in Data

Uwe Aickelin <[log in to unmask]>

Uwe Aickelin <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 19 Nov 2014 13:42:53 +0000

PhD Studentship - Horizon Centre for Doctoral Training in My Life in Data

Reference
SCI1417
Closing Date
Sunday, 4th January 2015
Department
Horizon Digital Economy Research Institute
The technologies of digital identity and personal data raise some of the most profound technical and social challenges facing our digital society today. Our digital identities will define the interfaces to the future digital services that we will use for entertainment, wellbeing, government, transport, energy, retail and finance – indeed for every aspect of our lives. They will be constructed from our personal data, digital records that capture who we are and the histories of our digital, and increasingly our physical, interactions. However, this must recognise a growing public awareness of the value of personal data and concerns over how it is being captured, analysed and used.

Our vision is to develop future digital identity technologies that will operate in a fair and transparent manner, for example being co-curated between citizens and service providers. This is an interdisciplinary challenge, one that needs to bring together expertise in digital technologies with perspectives on digital identity from the social sciences and humanities, with a deep understanding of real-world applications.

The Horizon My Life in Data Centre for Doctoral Training will therefore train a community of PhD students with the interdisciplinary skills to address the challenge of digital identity and personal data for the 21st century. While we do not expect that every student will be an expert in all of the areas mentioned above, our aim to train people who will be able to work in multi-disciplinary teams and who will be ready to become future leaders in industry, the third sector and academia.

Our students will also work closely with a diverse range of industry and international partners through supervision, internships, access to resources and expertise and sponsorship.

We are interested in students from a wide variety of backgrounds including computer science, engineering, human factors, psychology, sociology, business, geography, social science and the arts, providing they have an excellent first degree and can demonstrate an enthusiasm for interdisciplinary research. These students will benefit from:

A fully-funded four-year PhD programme that integrates a leading-edge research project with research training in interdisciplinary skills.
At least one internship with one of our partners.
An enhanced stipend of £16,200 per annum as well as a personal laptop.
While we are open to prospective student’s own ideas in this area, we have been working closely with our partners on priority themes for this current round of recruitment.

More information on these themes and on the various pathways through the PhD can be found in the application pack available from http://www.horizon.ac.uk/Current-Opportunities.

We have funding for UK/Home, EU and international students. Places are also available for those in receipt of four year independent funding/scholarships.

Application forms are downloadable from http://www.horizon.ac.uk/Current-Opportunitiesand should be returned by email with a detailed CV, transcript, references and a statement of research interests to [log in to unmask]  Please quote ref: SCI1417.

Closing date: 4 January 2015, Shortlisting date: 15 January 2015, Interview date: 3 February 2015

Information for candidates ( pdf | doc )