NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  July 2014

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING July 2014

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Antw: Re: [NEW-MEDIA-CURATING] The trouble with "time-based media"

Richard Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>

Richard Rinehart <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 18 Jul 2014 12:42:18 -0400

text/plain

Oliver, everyone,

To answer your question; yes, I do see in the U.S. (and abroad) serious efforts to collect, document, and preserve digital art. Jon and I cite more of these in our book (http://re-collection.net) than I have space to mention here, and I suspect that you are asking specifically for efforts from museums so, for example, MOMA has hired not one but two digital art conservators, SFMOMA and the Tate have initiated 'Media Matters', etc. And not every effort takes the form of a grand initiative; some museums have devoted serious research to the preservation of a single work in their collection.

Is it enough? No. Not yet. I also believe that there are certain questions that should be part of such efforts, but then that's why I co-authored a book on the topic :)

Now, as to your other question about initiatives working on the modification of the museum sector itself; making it appropriate for the needs of the digital era. Ah; that's a whole other kettle of fish! You could look at a number of examples, such as the decade-old 'Museums and the Web' conferences or dozens of NEH digital Access and Preservation grants or hundreds of essays on new media and museums, as evidence that yes the museum sector is attempting to update itself to come in line with the contemporary media (and social) landscape. But, are they as rigorously addressing the need to change in order to deal with not only the way they interface with society, but the digital culture that enters their stewardship in the form of their collections? To that, I would answer; not quickly enough.

Fire alarm going off in my building - gotta go!

Richard Rinehart
Director
Samek Art Museum
Bucknell University