MCG  July 2014

MCG July 2014

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Digital Humanities 2014 conference keynotes streamed live Tuesday - Friday

Mia <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 7 Jul 2014 14:19:05 +0100

text/plain

Dear MCGers,

the four keynote speakers at the Digital Humanities 2014 conference - Bruno
Latour, Ray Siemens, Bethany Nowviskie, Sukanta Chaudhuri - at the Digital
Humanities will be live-streamed. I've copied their outlines and bios below
- I know they won't be relevant to all of you, but there are some
interesting overlaps with the concerns of museums, libraries and archives
and with changes linked to digital technologies.

The streams will be available at http://dharchive.org/stream.html

Cheers, Mia

*Opening Plenary Lecture *
*Date: Tuesday, July 8, 2014 at 17:00 * *Location: Swiss Tech Convention
Center, EPFL*
Rematerializing Humanities Thanks to Digital Traces Overview:

Since the great advantage of the digital is to rematerialize the older
cognitive functions it becomes possible to transform many activities
considered before as “abstract” into an empirical domain. The lecture will
go through several attempts at harnessing this new materiality for the
benefit of digital humanities and social science generally. Examples will
be drawn from the field of publishing, design, research as well as from
social theory and political science.
Biography:

Bruno Latour is professor at Sciences Po Paris, director of its medialab
and principal investigator of the AIME project, he has also realized a MOOC
on “scientific humanities” (on the FUN platform) and developped from the
outside, because of his interest in actor-network-theory, an interest in
the digital as a tracer of associations. He is the recipient of the Holberg
Prize for 2013. Most of his papers and all its references can be find,
together with lots of other documents and goodies, on his webpage
www.bruno-latour.fr <http://dh2014.org/program/keynotes/www.bruno-latour.fr>
------------------------------

[image: Ray Siemens]
<http://dh2014.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/ray-siemens.png>

*Zampolli Award Lecture Date: Wednesday, July 9, 2014 at 16:30 **
Location: Amphimax Building, UNIL*
Communities of Practice, the Methodological Commons, and
Digital Self-Determination in the Humanities Overview:

In the context of trends shaping and influencing change in the Humanities
and the cultures of the university, this talk considers the Digital
Humanities’ positive role in the process of the Humanities (digital)
self-determination. Considered in this engagement are: the important (and
profitably-elusive) process of defining *Digital* Humanities; foundational
notions of the methodological commons and communities of practice, and the
ways in which such originate, are fostered, are engaged, and themselves
engage; and the value of an open approach to current and future work on
modelling humanistic data and process, in ways that build on these
foundations to embrace the communities and constituencies served by the
Humanities.
Biography:

Ray Siemens (U Victoria; http://web.uvic.ca/~siemens/) is Canada Research
Chair in Humanities Computing and Distinguished Professor in the Faculty of
Humanities at the University of Victoria, in English and Computer Science.
He is founding editor of the electronic scholarly journal *Early Modern
Literary Studies*, and his publications include, among others,
Blackwell’s *Companion
to Digital Humanities* (with Schreibman and Unsworth), Blackwell’s *Companion
to Digital Literary Studies* (with Schreibman), *A Social Edition of the
Devonshire MS*, and *Literary Studies in the Digital Age* (MLA, with
Price). He directs the Implementing New Knowledge Environments project, the
Digital Humanities Summer Institute and the Electronic Textual Cultures
Lab, and serves as Vice President of the Canadian Federation of the
Humanities and Social Sciences for Research Dissemination, recently serving
also as Chair of the international Alliance of Digital Humanities
Organisations’ Steering Committee.
------------------------------
[image: Bethany Nowviskie]
<http://dh2014.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/bethany_nowviskie_02_da.jpeg>

*Community Plenary Lecture *
* Date: Thursday, July 10, 2014 at 17:30 ** Location: Amphimax Building,
UNIL*
Digital Humanities in the Anthropocene Overview:

This will be a practitioner’s talk, and–though the abstract belies it–an
optimistic one. I take as given the evidence that human beings are
irrevocably altering the conditions for life on Earth and that, despite
certain unpredictabilities, we live at the cusp of a mass extinction. What
is the place of digital humanities practice in the new social and
geological era of the Anthropocene?  What are the DH community’s most
significant responsibilities, and to whom? This talk will position itself
in deep time, but strive for a foothold in the vital here-and-now of
service to broad publics. From the presentist, emotional aesthetics of Dark
Mountain to the arms-length futurism of the Long Now, I’ll dwell on
concepts of graceful degradation, preservation, memorialization,
apocalypse, ephemerality, and minimal computing. I’ll discuss digital
recovery and close reading of texts and artifacts–like the Herculaneum
papyri–once thought lost forever, and the ways that prosopography,
graphesis, and distant reading open new vistas on the longue durée. Can DH
develop a practical ethics of resilience and repair? Can it become more
humane while working at inhuman scales? Can we resist narratives of
progress, and yet progress? I wish to open community discussion about the
practice of DH, and what to give, in the face of a great hiatus or the end
of it all.
Biography:

Bethany Nowviskie has been active in the DH community since the mid-1990s,
and is currently President of the Association for Computers and the
Humanities. At the University of Virginia, Dr. Nowviskie directs the
Scholars’ Lab and UVa Library department of Digital Research and
Scholarship, and serves as Special Advisor to the Provost for digital
humanities. A mother of two, her less important projects include the
Rossetti Archive, the Ivanhoe Game, Temporal Modelling, NINES, the
Scholarly Communication Institute, the Praxis Program, Prism, Speaking in
Code, and Neatline. She works on graduate education, textual materiality,
the future of libraries, and the intersection of digital methods with
humanities interpretation. A recent profile in the Chronicle of Higher
Education reads: “Bethany Nowviskie likes to build things.”
------------------------------

[image: Sukanta Chauduri]
<http://dh2014.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/sukanta-photo-31k.jpg>

*Closing Plenary Lecture Date: Friday, July 11, 2014 at 17:00
Location: Amphimax Building, UNIL*
*Tagore and Beyond: Looking at the Large Literary Database* Overview:

I will begin my talk with a short account of the making of the Tagore
Online Variorum ‘Bichitra’, the world’s largest literary website, outlining
its main features. I will suggest the potential significance of Bichitra as
the model of a ‘very large textual object’, to be mined and analysed in
innovative ways through sophisticated use of the search and collation
functions and the resources of topic modelling. I will argue that perhaps
uniquely, textual data requires attention to the ‘third dimension’ of
content analysis normally eschewed in processing big data. At the same
time, even the ‘very large textual object’, being small by the measures of
big data, is exceptionally amenable to such analysis, whose outcome may
then be applied to other categories of data. I would like to suggest that
the large textual database can open up a new kind of dialogue between
humans and computers, a distinctive contribution of digital humanities.
Biography:

Sukanta Chaudhuri divided his working life as Professor of English between
Presidency College, Kolkata and Jadavpur University. At Jadavpur, he
founded the School of Cultural Texts and Records for, *inter alia*, the
practice of digital humanities. He personally administered two of the five
projects executed by the School for the Endangered Archives Programme of
the British Library. He planned and co-ordinated the Tagore Variorum
website ‘Bichitra’, incorporating all English and Bengali works by
Rabindranath Tagore in nearly all versions (nearly 140,000 pages of primary
material), with some innovative programs to transcribe and process them.
His original specialization is in English and European Renaissance studies,
and textual and editorial work. His last monograph was *The Metaphysics of
Text *(Cambridge University Press, 2010). He is currently editing *A
Midsummer Night’s Dream *for the Third Arden Shakespeare. He has also
translated widely from Bengali to English, and is General Editor of the
Oxford Tagore Translations series.

http://openobjects.org.uk/
http://twitter.com/mia_out
I mostly use this address for list mail; my open.ac.uk address is checked
daily

       Twitter:  http://www.twitter.com/ukmcg