ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC  July 2014

ACADEMIC-STUDY-MAGIC July 2014

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Fw: CONFERENCES: Defining Jewish Medicine (London, 27th - 29th)

K R Perlow <[log in to unmask]>

Society for The Academic Study of Magic <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 22 Jul 2014 05:00:03 +0000

text/plain

Oh my, I seem to have hit a nerve.  Well, I guess we're even on that
score.  Alas, I see no relationship at all between the two events (the
conference on historic Jewish medicine and the situation in Palestine),
so the irony passed me by.  But as it is said, "Your mileage may vary."
Political commentary often leads to a flurry of off-topic postings, and
I do hope we can avoid that, so this will be my last comment on this
thread.  I hold no ivory tower beliefs about academia, and I do not
expect academics to consider themselves above any particular fray.
Heck, most of the years I spent in academia I was an active member of
SDS; I guess that dates me.  I'd dismiss your perhaps ephemeral
conflating Jewish scholarship and Israeli policy as your problem; alas,
it pins a target on my (Jewish) chest.  So I trust you can understand my
malaise, as we both condemn the current situation.  I think I was polite
in my initial response, and I expect to continue to be.  When I say "I'm
having a hard time...", I'm putting the onus on me.  I continually
reexamine my own beliefs; I trust you do too.  As it is also said,
"Those ideas we have, but don't know we have, have us."

Peace,
Ken