Help for NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Home

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  May 2014

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING May 2014

Re: From .yu to me & Internet Realism (Was: The Syndicate - building a history)

Heather Corcoran <[log in to unmask]>

Heather Corcoran <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 22 May 2014 12:33:17 -0400

Dear all,

Regarding this long ago thread, I wanted to let you know that the film
Bronac references, by Aleksandra Domanović, is now online at:
https://vimeo.com/95833310

It is an experimental documentary that charts the history of the .yu domain
and the internet in Yugoslavia against the backdrop of political change,
and the female computer scientists who were instrumental to its
development. It's part of a research thread we're mapping out under the
term 'Internet Realism' - the problem of representing the internet that
foregrounds its status as a material infrastructure and a site of human
labor, as our curator Michael Connor puts it in his curatorial essay here:
http://rhizome.org/editorial/2014/may/21/yu-me-aleksandra-domanovics-internet-realism/?ref=fp_post_title

And Brian Droitcour has another interesting take on the film in an essay
today:
http://rhizome.org/editorial/2014/may/22/unfinished-business-yugoslav-internet/

Thought you'd be interested.

Warmest,
Heather

(co-commissioned b/w Rhizome, AND Festival & Fridericianum)

--
Heather Corcoran
Executive Director