Re: Can non-human entities perform?

gh hovagimyan <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 18 Mar 2014 10:56:10 -0400

Hi list,
I think  you need to look at  the whole coding process. There is
always an author for the code and there is a result from running the
code.
I think in New Media  there's always a conflation between making a
tool and using a tool to make something.
Take Duchamp's readymades as an example.  His one piece, "In Advance
of a Broken Arm" is a snow shovel hung on a gallery wall.
The snow shovel is a tool but it's been transformed into art by
hanging it in a gallery. The title is as much part of the work as the
object.
So in Tanaka's piece the title is very important. THe notion of
having colors equal sound(music) is an ancient quest as much as Deus
Ex Machina or animating machines and giving them life.
A bit of code in the shape of Mondrian paintings is still just code.
That is unless it is exhibited in an art gallery, then it can become
or be transformed into art.
The exploit code link below is rather interesting. It leads to a
security site. I'm assuming it's that although I suspect it's a
hacker's site.  So let's think about that for a minute.
If you create a bit of code that exploits a weakness in a program is
it art? I'd say not unless you are an artist and say that it is art.
If you are a hacker you're intentions are different.
So if you are an artist and say that a particular program such as
removing the capabilities of a computer from displaying images on the
screen is a performance then indeed,
it is a performance.  Why because  the action places the program
within the discourse of performance art.   Does that mean that all
snow shovels are art because of Duchamp?
Again obviously not!
Speaking of non- human performances,  Alexi Melamud did an art work a
few years back where he worked with elephants who were taught to
paint paintings.  He has a gallery that represents him and the
painting were sold to art collectors.
I've also seen TV news reports about this phenomena. And of course
Alexi does a performance with these elephants and he documents the
performances on video. These are also for sale in a gallery.
I believe that an a priori intention create a performance before
writing a code that will do something makes that code a performance.
By the same token if an artist decides a bit of code is performance
art then it is a performance.
For example, I could right a code that doesn't function. It doesn't
do anything, it doesn't work, it doesn't run etc.. Maybe it might run
in some programming environment or language that hasn't been invented
yet.  But If I designate the whole action as a performance it is
indeed performance art.