Help for NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Home

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  March 2014

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING March 2014

Re: March Discussion Begins: The Performativity of Code

gh hovagimyan <[log in to unmask]>

gh hovagimyan <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 12 Mar 2014 09:50:06 -0400

Hi Sarah & List

> I don't think you understand picnolepsy and it is quite an
> important point, in terms of the momentary blurring of the real
> and the symbolic. I want to raise this issue in terms of
> performativity
> and code because I think it is important  that mental health is
> included
> in  all your deliberations. Why? You might ask. Because as  Virilio
> says
> it is a mental matter - how we interact with screens and machines.

Oh I see.  You're talking about the integration of personal space
into the network.
That's an interesting area for art/research. Sherry Turkle broached
that subject with her book, Life On Screen and is continuing with her
research on that subject.
That also gets into the area of networked performance art. I've done
a few of those in the past.

> Rehearsal of Memory (Harwood) -  oh btw yr operating system won't
> support
> it anymore, so I guess that makes it a performative  work...
>
> London (Harwood) exhibited in Old Media  at Bristol's  Arnolfini
> was a synthesis
> between Blake's poem  and  a computer program. The point is that in
> 2010  as
> opposed to 1996 it  was a print which made you think about the
> symbolic and
> the real in terms of programming and poetry, and POLIITICS

I haven't seen that exhibition. I have no idea what you are talking
about?

> Meanwhile eating disorders and self harm  abound on Tumblr
> 'I'll self harm  if you  will' etc...
>
> Artists and curators are failing young people especially in the
> technological sphere by not addressing the reality of screen
> use and abuse etc
I don't know about that.  There is a French net artist who set up a
fake website where she created a teenage girl who was threatening to
kill herself on her 15th Birthday.
I think her persona was (Collette)  this was pre-facebook but the
chat rooms and emaillists believed it was real. I think that was a
meme or perhaps an archetype she was presenting.
In anycase,  I think the whole networked culture is constantly
evolving. surveillance and voyeurism are two sides of the same coin.
That's an interesting topic. Recently I did a residency
at Pixel Palace (Tyneside Cinema in Newcastle). Lucy Pawluk was
another AIR. She's performance artist that explores the effects of
networking.
It is worth a discussion and enlarging on the ideas to which you
allude. There is alot of bullying going on on the internet and there
have been some suicide by teenagers as a consequence of that bullying.
I think that the isolation and false communities exacerbate and
magnify the emotions on one level. You are after all only talking to
yourself when you type into a computer.