Help for NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Home

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  March 2014

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING March 2014

Re: March Discussion Begins: The Performativity of Code‏

gh hovagimyan <[log in to unmask]>

gh hovagimyan <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 6 Mar 2014 07:43:04 -0500

Hi Justin,
I've been using the Kinect camera to track body movement.  I saw an
infrared block at Goldsmith's that one of the grad students was
using. It scans fingertips.  I've also created sensors with such
things as a teetertotter.
getting the data is fairly simple. What you do with it is the
question. Or maybe that's where the art occurs.  I like the idea of a
feedback loop. It does depend upon what you produce for you or the
viewer to react to. In other word you produce some data, you percieve
it and then alter your actions to produce new data based on your
reaction. I've done this in performance art where I've been feed back
samples of my own voice by Peter Sinclair, I then reacted/
incorporated the feedback into the performance in a sort of echo
improvisation on the the feedback.