Subject: New Birth Choice website
Jane, I wonder if you would be able to post the following on the research/midwives email lists you are on. Many thanks
From Miranda Dodwell, [log in to unmask]
New Birth Choice website
After 12 years helping women choose where to have their baby, BirthChoiceUK has worked in partnership with the consumer charity Which?
to develop a new free-to-use website Which? Birth Choice, supported by the Royal College of Midwives. It gives pregnant women all the information they need to know in one place so they can plan the birth they want. It can be found at www.which.co.uk/birth-choice
The website features:
- Understand your choices - information about giving birth in the different types of birth environment (labour ward, birth centres and at
- Find and compare - an interactive tool to help women find the best place for them to give birth, based on their location, preferences and circumstances. This incorporates evidence from the Birthplace in England study.
- Details of every maternity unit in the UK and the opportunity to compare facilities and policies at different units.
- Maternity statistics for the units. For hospitals in England, these are personalised according to parity, and whether women have factors which might put them at increased risk of complications. They also include VBAC rates. This personalisation of data used techniques developed in an NIHR funded project led by Jane Sandall at King's College London.
- A number of referenced articles on topics relevant to choosing where to give birth.
BirthChoiceUK is no longer operating a site for women to choose where to have their baby. However you can still visit BirthChoiceUK Professional www.birthchoiceuk.com/Professionals for national statistics, trends, graphs and regional tables of maternity unit statistics. These will be updated to 2013 statistics shortly. (If you have visited before you may need to refresh your browser ctrl F5 to get our new index).
Many thanks for all the support over the years.