Help for LIB-RFID-UK Archives

LIB-RFID-UK Archives

LIB-RFID-UK@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

LIB-RFID-UK Home

LIB-RFID-UK  February 2014

LIB-RFID-UK February 2014

Re: Returning barcoded books to an RFID library

"Usher, John" <[log in to unmask]>

Discussion List for RFID in Libraries <[log in to unmask]>, Usher, John

Sat, 22 Feb 2014 11:27:43 +0000

Items in the return bin will need to be processed in some way - but not *necessarily* by  'Discharge'

 It depends upon how the LMS handles it and how well the kiosk is integrated with the LMS via SIP2.

In our LMS I've tried handling the items from the return bin both in Discharge and 'Item Management' - neither give a simple, operator proof way of handling the contents of the bin. The LMS providers need to nail this one.

Also, staff can discharge the items from the bin through the kiosk again to sort the conditions - Res, Transits etc. Some instances of SIP2 implementations can't do this. Needs to be sorted between LMS and RFID suppliers.

BUT - this will distort the Discharge stats through the kiosks and inflate them. Depending on how SIP2 is set, that may or may not affect your LMS stats.

And double discharge on the LMS may or may not affect your stats - depends on the LMS and how it is configured.

But if the bulk of the stock is routed at discharge to an open return shelf ( a small risk of use error) then you should only be left with 'exceptions' you want to check - in our case Reservations, Transits, CDs and DVDs which need to be checked, plus advise users (in the early stage of kisoks) to return uncertain items to the counter, or later  default to the return bin if at all uncertain (e.g. can't be read)

The proverbial 'fly in that ointment' is that some users will use the (dumb, non-RFID, return bin) as a 'drop box' as they don't want to engage with Self Service. They then insist on going to the counter for issue, where the LMS will tell staff that they have items still out which are in the bin. A 'dj vu' situation from going from manual to automated systems if you operated any form of 'delayed discharge'.

There are currently no easy answers to all this...

JU

John Usher

ICT Manager

Library and Heritage Services

Islington Council

Central Library

2 Fieldway Crescent

LONDON N5 1PF

Tel: 020 7527 6920

Mobile: 07825 098 223

Fax: 020 7527 6926

Alternative contact: Michelle Gannon - 020 7527 6907

www.islington.gov.uk

How to get to Central Library: http://www.islington.gov.uk/Education/Libraries/Local/Central.asp