‏‏RE: Thanks, and elephants

Shmuel vered <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 17 Jan 2014 12:05:12 +0000

Dear john

Here are some extracts from "kim" regarding elephants that might help:

P64
Had Kim hinted this when she was a girl,
he would have been pommelled to death that same evening
by an elephant. This was perfectly true.

P 115
There were seniors who
had requisitioned a chance-met Rajahs elephant, in the name
of St Francis Xavier, when the Rains once blotted out the
cart-track that led to their fathers estate, and had all but lost
the huge beast in a quicksand.

PP 152-153
Long and long ago, when Devadatta was King of Benares
-let all listen to the Tataka! an elephant was captured for a
time by the kings hunters and ere he broke free, beringed
with a grievous legiron. This he strove to remove with hate
and frenzy in his heart, and hurrying up and down the forests,
besought his brother-elephants to wrench it asunder.
One by one, with their strong trunks, they tried and failed.
At the last they gave it as their opinion that the ring was not
to be broken by any bestial power. And in a thicket, newborn,
wet with moisture of birth, lay a day-old calf of the
herd whose mother had died. The fettered elephant, forgetting
his own agony, said: If I do not help this suckling it
will perish under our feet. So he stood above the young
thing, making his legs buttresses against the uneasily moving
herd; and he begged milk of a virtuous cow, and the calf
throve, and the ringed elephant was the calf s guide and defence.
Now the days of an elephantlet all listen to the
Tataka!are thirty-five years to his full strength, and through
thirty-five Rains the ringed elephant befriended the younger,
and all the while the fetter ate into the flesh.
Then one day the young elephant saw the half-buried iron,
and turning to the elder said: What is this? It is even my
sorrow, said he who had befriended him. Then that other
put out his trunk and in the twinkling of an eyelash abolished
the ring, saying: The appointed time has come. So
the virtuous elephant who had waited temperately and done
kind acts was relieved, at the appointed time, by the very calf
whom he had turned aside to cherishlet all listen to the
Tataka! for the Elephant was Ananda, and the Calf that
broke the ring was none other than The Lord Himself

P 173
They are alike, these Jats, said Kim softly. The Jat stood
on his dunghill and the Kings elephants went by. O driver,
said he, what will you sell those little donkeys for?
The Jat burst into a roar of laughter, stifled with apologies
to the lama. It is the saying of my own country the very talk
of it. So are we Jats all.

Hope it will help
Muli

@}---}---     ---{---{@
Mr. Shmuel (Muli) Vered  ()
Applications group

The Authority for Computation Communication and Information
Hebrew University of Jerusalem
E-Mail:- [log in to unmask]
Tel:- 972-2-5881133
Cel:- 972-54-8820366
: To exchange information and views on the life and work of Rudyard Kipling [[log in to unmask]]  John Walker [[log in to unmask]]
:   16  2014 21:46
: Thanks, and elephants

Dear All,

Thank you to everyone who suggested music for the BBC to use for a programme on Kipling and the Great War.

A correspondent today has asked for direction - I will use his words:

My specific area of interest is 19th c European travelers' use of the elephant as a vehicle; for transport, baggage and ceremony. I dip into Kipling's work where possible as gives such illustrative vignettes of Anglo-Indian life of the time, and because, unlike personal narratives, he had more leeway to convey aspects of life which might sully a reputation. So, while I recognise that my topic is narrow, if you have anything that might speak to Euro/British traveler use of elephants, please pass along.

I immediately sent off an extract from the Journal for December 1971, on Petersen Sahib, written by Sir Theo Tasker.

Do you have other suggestions for this researcher? He is a PhD student.

With best regards,

John