Re: Your patient records;

"Macfarlane, Alison" <[log in to unmask]>

Macfarlane, Alison

Thu, 30 Jan 2014 12:42:26 +0000

text/plain

So researchers would have to get data from every general practice in the country. This would be a mammoth task and wholly impracticable.

Alison

-----Original Message-----
From: Jody Aberdein [mailto:[log in to unmask]]
Sent: 30 January 2014 12:10
To: Macfarlane, Alison
Cc: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Your patient records;

Surely preferable then to have the GP practice pull down the secondary and tertiary data: perhaps via GP located standard software.  Then researchers can acccess locally pseudonymised data, randomly sampled, pool if necessary across practices for rare conditions.  That way no one body holds all the info on all the people and access is granted on a per-project basis where power calc for each project done as needed...
Just thinking out loud. No nothing of big data management systems and info security.

On 30/01/2014, Macfarlane, Alison <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> The reason for doing the pseudonymisation at HSCIC is to link together
> hospital and primary care records and possibly other redcords for the
> same person and then pseudonymise after that.
>
> Some national statistics and research may relate to rare conditions.
> How would you calculate sample size to meet every eventuality? In any
> case, national statistics are based on 100%.
>
> Alison

>>> C
>>> H.CO.UK>

>>> C