PHD-DESIGN  December 2013

PHD-DESIGN December 2013

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Usefulness of design fields now and in the future

Terence Love <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 23 Dec 2013 11:04:34 +0800

text/plain

Dear Gunnar,

Thanks for your message.

The term 'usefulness' was intended to imply nothing more than seeing 'design
fields' and everything to do with them as 'tools' created by humans to be
used. Ditto the comment about changing the subject lines retrospectively.
Might not have been the best subject line or the  greatest question but
nothing more was intended than the obvious.

In fact, in general, I try to write 'with a straight bat' in the sense that
my perspective is rationalist, post-positivist and prefers reasoning and
logic rather than associative thinking and rhetoric. Any subtle rhetoric
effects in my writing are unintended. In contrast to Ken's position,
however, I expect reasoning to be solid and  referencing to others work
being limited, and especially not used in terms of status building. As this
is a discussion of 'experts', I feel it's also reasonable to assume everyone
has read a lot across many fields and can find stuff when necessary.

On the issue of 'design creativity' I'm presuming that means creating
designs, and  that it can be done by individuals, groups, processes,
software or anything that results in the instructions (the design)  to say
print a poster, or weave a carpet, make a million iPads, build a building,
or make changes to an organisation. Again, the meaning is very 'straight
bat'.

On the issue of ' a better way of thinking about design activity, practice,
research and education', I guess it depends where you stand. I'm thinking
towards 5, 10, and 30 year  timelines and finding it difficult to see how
existing ways of thinking about design (in the Art and Design sense)  will
work well in the future.  The three major transitions I suggest will have
the greatest effects are: automation of existing designer roles,  increased
levels of participation of females in advanced education worldwide, and
significant transition of  the primary role of universities from knowledge
production to holding institutions to reduce youth unemployment. This is a
different picture than if one sees 'better design activity,  practice and
education' in terms of  the thinking about design that has been around for
the last century or  the 'design thinking' that has been fashionable for the
last 30 years or so.

My apologies for my  delay in finding the source of the data  for the
reference that only 4% of design graduates have full time jobs as designers
in the design industry after graduation. I remember it came from data from
the UK Design Council surveys of the status of design in Britain. A problem
in exactly locating this as that  these  Design Council report present
partial data  to put things in the most favourable light. This means one has
to find and take bits of their data from different parts of different
reports and integrate it with other data to get a more comprehensive
picture, especially where it reveals something less positive. This is quite
a bit of work to rebuild something worked out over a decade ago. Yesterday,
I spent a couple of  hours downloading the Design Council surveys from
around that time and I'm still working on it.

In the meantime, in parallel, I found data from the UK Higher Education
Careers Services Unit and the  UK 'official' graduate careers 'Prospects'
website, that when taken together point in a similar direction.

First, it's important to distinguish between:
1. Proportion of art and design graduate who gain employment following their
degree
2. Proportions of them that are design graduates (as distinct from Art and
other graduates) who are employed after their degree are full time and part
time
3. Proportions of the above that are working in design-related work
4. Proportions of the above that are working in the design industry
5. Proportions of the above that are working as designers rather than any
particular design-related role such as pre-flight checking
6. Proportions of the above that are working as designers in the (Art and
Design) design industry as opposed to any other field
7. Proportions of the above that are working full-time as designers in the
(Art and Design) design industry as opposed to any other field

For a starting point, only 67.7% of Art and Design graduates get jobs of any
sort (http://www.hecsu.ac.uk/current_projects_what_do_graduates_do.htm ). Of
them 38.8% work in 'Arts, Design, culture and sport' in any role full-time
and part-time. That is, only  26.3% of Art and Design students work in any
role (designer or otherwise) full-time or part-time in any of 'Art, Design,
Culture and Sport'. (AAAA)

P54 of http://www.hecsu.ac.uk/assets/assets/documents/WDGD_2008.pdf gives a
breakdown by generic role but uses 'designer' to refer to all aspects of the
role, which contradicts other writing that suggests that when design
students commence work they typically do so through internships in which
they primarily are in a design support role rather than being designers.

Art, design and media professionals comprised 5.5% of the total of
employment of graduates from any subject in the UK in 2012
(http://www.hecsu.ac.uk/assets/assets/documents/WDGD_Sept_2013.pdf )

1n 2012, 37% of Design graduates reported that they worked in some capacity
in design-related roles full or part-time and  77.4% were in employment of
any type (P37
http://www.hecsu.ac.uk/assets/assets/documents/WDGD_Sept_2013.pdf )

The spread between full time and part time for Design graduates as a whole
was 53% to 22.4%. That is the ration of full-time to art time was 70%:30%.
(p39 http://www.hecsu.ac.uk/assets/assets/documents/WDGD_Sept_2013.pdf )

The proportion of the total of design graduates employed as 'Art, Design or
Media professionals of any sort) to those employed in any way is 37.6%  (p39
http://www.hecsu.ac.uk/assets/assets/documents/WDGD_Sept_2013.pdf )

Therefore, the proportion of design graduates employed full time as 'Art,
Design and Media professionals (in any industry)' is 70% x 37.6% = 26.2%

The  challenge is to identify:

1.  The relative proportions of those in 'Art', 'Design' and 'Media'
2. Of those in 'Design', the proportion in the 'Design industry' as distinct
from working in Design in other industries. For example, I came across an
earlier report from the Design Council  that I can't identify for the
moment, that over half of graduates undertaking Design of the Art and Design
type, are employed by government agencies rather than in the design industry
per se.
3.  The proportion of those working in the Design Industry who are working
as designers rather than in other design-related roles

The figures p37-39 of
http://www.hecsu.ac.uk/assets/assets/documents/WDGD_Sept_2013.pdf  suggest
that Design  provides much larger proportions of students and participation
than Art and Media. Speculatively assume say Design comprises 80% of 'Art,
Design and Media'
For the purpose of rough calculation, assume   proportions of design
graduates employed in design work in the  design industry versus government
agencies is 50:50.
From experience, the ratio of those working as full-time designers to those
whose roles are tasks supporting the design process is around 4:1 . Your
mileage may differ?

Taken together with the above, the calculation suggests the proportion of
design graduates working full-time as designers in the design industry is
(26.3 x 0.8 x 0.5 x0.25)% = 2.6% of design graduates

Bearing in mind the lack of accuracy in the last stages, this is somewhere
in the same ball court as the earlier calculation of 4% of design graduates.
Note this also aligns with the data at AAAA in relation to design graduates
employed in 'Art, Design, Culture and Sport'. It offers a refinement of the
more general statistic that 77% of design graduates each year get jobs of
any sort in any field.

The above statistics, together with the evidence that relatively high
proportions of Art, Design and Media graduates are employed only via being
'self-employed'  suggest that at the same time as a high demand from
students to study of Design, there is a significant oversupply of Design
graduates. This problem is cumulative.  If say out of 10,000 design
graduates in any year there are 9,600 who are left still trying to find a
job as a designer, then the next year there are 19,200 in that position, the
next year 28,800 etc. This may be sustainable but it's not obvious that it
will not result in some backlash against universities and design education
at some point. I suggest the introduction of  MOOCs (which I think is
great!) is likely to increase these underlying tensions in the design
education/employment system.

Best wishes ,
Terry

---
Dr Terence Love
PhD(UWA), BA(Hons) Engin. PGCEd, FDRS, AMIMechE, PMACM, MISI

Honorary Fellow
IEED, Management School
Lancaster University, Lancaster, UK
ORCID 0000-0002-2436-7566