NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  November 2013

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING November 2013

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Art History Online - A partial reflection...

Sarah Cook <[log in to unmask]>

Sarah Cook <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Nov 2013 10:34:51 +0000

text/plain

Thanks so much to Charlotte for instigating and hosting such a good and satisfying discussion on the question of "the histories of digital and new media art forms, the spaces and practices of online art contextualisation - or perhaps rather digital art historiography."

I've been quiet this month (adjusting to my new commuting life) but reading along, on trains and planes. There are two things which have come to mind as I reflect on Charlotte's reflection, born of my own recent experiences of thinking about the art history of new media art - and what's been brought up by this theme's inadvertent but telling emphasis on the history of mailing list art/culture.

The first is that trove of art recently found in Munich. Yesterday I mentioned in a talk to colleagues from the sciences and engineering at the University that, "in my field" - meaning media art - we don't stand a chance of that ever happening to us. That is to say, it seems to me highly unlikely that 70+ years from now someone will happen across a server full of early net art and be able to sort it out - identify it, know the artists who made it, value it and exhibit it [art that the museums didn't want to show because it wasn't to their taste at the time (please know I don't mean to address the politics of a government's agenda labelling some work and some artists as acceptable and some not… but there is an undercurrent there).]
I was surprised that colleagues (from the department of computing) disagreed with me. They suggested I was underestimating peoples' personal hard drive stashes (I had said one part of the problem was that artists were hosting work on corporately controlled servers). They said files are always readable/retrievable. An art conservator said he often came across troves of reel-to-reel tapes of audio and video art, or performance documentation, and was still able to watch, listen, and digitise them. And perhaps some of what has been said on this suggests as much. What do people think? I think there might be a parallel here to, to Charlotte's query about the work of Hasan - how do you compile a case study of the death of an art historian who worked entirely online? We must have more than a few of those living art historians in our midsts. Would their hard drive stashes tell us something about the art or about how the art was historicised?

The second thing is that Grayson Perry mentioned the work of Jon Thomson & Alison Craighead, and Sherrie Rabinovitch and Kit Galloway's Hole in Space, in his third Reith lecture (for those of you not in the UK who missed this series of lectures, you can download the podcasts, and transcripts of the talks, here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/podcasts/series/reith). In part thanks to Charlie Gere who pointed him in that direction. This was exciting (I and CRUMB colleague Axel Lapp have just opened a show of Thomson & Craighead's work at MEWO Kunsthalle in Memmingen, and edited a new book on their work published together with Dundee Contemporary Arts)… and also a bit frustrating, because Grayson Perry made the point that artists can't compete with technology. Sigh. They're not trying! That seems to me the wrong metric, isn't it? He noted that "in the past artists were the real innovators of technology, they had often quite prophetic interventions" - and then he described Hole in Space as the precursor to Skype. Yes, but…. ? I was encouraged that he noted that "technology … is so amazingly quick and brilliant it changes the way we look at art, certain sorts of art" -- but I would have loved him to have said that the point of artists working with technology is that they can change the way you look at technology too. On one hand, it is not the most important thing what a 'cross dressing potter' as he calls himself, naively but generously says about the media art field. On the other hand the audience for those lectures is huge, and they will become a teaching tool, and the hashtag trended on Twitter… and…

Both incidences made me think harder about my, and our shared responsibility towards art history of the present. I still would love to discuss further some tactics (okay, call them methodologies if you want) for this - from curating, to writing/publishing (academic or not), and lecturing/teaching.

Sarah