Re: Art stories Online and timelimes

Johannes Birringer <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Oct 2013 20:26:51 +0100

Dienstag, 1. Okt , 2013,  20:53  Charlotte Frost schreibt:

> So, first up, what was YOUR first experience of online art discussion?

Rather than mentioning Mailing Lists I joined later, i wish to briefly recount the dance and performance network that interested me and that evolved in the early to mid-1990s, an international network built and sustained through efforts of persons, just as Marisa explained, visionaries, go-getters, people-connectors,  and these persons and efforts brought many of us together in workshops, and some festivals organized around the emerging dance & technology field.
The f2f work was complemented by Maillists and online discussions that were then set up and enabled, and I very briefly chronicle the stages:

(1) D&TZ  [Dance & Technology Zone] and DTZ Mailing List

[Since Early 1995, Ohio State University has hosted a Dance and Technology list server that has served to bridge the geographic gap between those working with dance and technology worldwide. With over 500 choreographers, dancers, technologists and theorists subscribed to the list, has become a lively hub of discussion about issues regarding the integration of media and live performance.  A Hyper-archive of all of the discussions that have taken place on the Dance & Technology List since September 1996 has been created: For each year, you may view the archive by thread, subject, author or date. http://art.net/~dtz/mailarchive.html
Important initiators and go-getters: -	Creation and maintenance of this site was the result of an ongoing collaborative project of Troika Ranch (New York) and Writing Research Associates / Scott deLahunta (Amsterdam), later aided by OSU (Scott Sutherland,  David Ralley). I joined the Maillist in 1997.

Like Crossfade,  The Dance & Technology Zone (D&TZ) defined itself is a resource for artists and others who are particularly interested in using new media and information technologies in the creation and performance of dance, dance theater and related live performance works.

(2) The List faded in 2004 or thereabouts, after the IDAT festivals organized in different places seemed to have become more difficult to host.  Working in England at the time, I then hosted "Digital Cultures" in Nottingham in 2005 [http://www.digitalcultures.org/], and together with Mark Coniglio (Troika Ranch) started the new Dance-Tech Maillist:  http://www.freelists.org/webpage/dance-tech

[Dance-Tech: [log in to unmask]   ::  A list for those interested in combining dance and new computer technology, including responsive systems that allow performers to manipulate digital media in real time, interactive digital scenography, and motion capture, as well as the development of new software and hardware tools for choreographers and dancers.

Archive:  http://www.freelists.org/archive/dance-tech

(3) Since 2009,  members and the expanding family have migrated to:   http://www.dance-tech.net/

The Dance Tech and Dance Tech TV Social Network | Innovation in Motion..Platform. is a much larger and complex operation (initiated and curated by Marlon Barrios Solano), driven by hundreds and hundreds of members who post videos and contribute to forum discussions, workshops, publications, interviews, etc.  Some live stream channels (linked to the new Meta-Academy that is being developed by us) have been added and the live and archived productions are increasing steadily. I have long lost grasp of all the things that are happening via this platform....... I miss the old critical debates.

Interestingly (to me), the dance-tech.net platform supplanted the older lists, and there are no critical list discussions any more.

(4) Adjacent lists:  [log in to unmask]      (currently moderated by Sabine Klaus)

I also launched a smaller one in Germany called Tanzforschung:   [log in to unmask]
which has declined and is rarely alive.

(5) Telematic Dance:  in 2000 some colleagues and friends founded ADAPT and we began to work on telematic dance projects for a number of years. Rather than communicating via DTZ, we created our own
maillist [[log in to unmask]] for the express purpose of communicating on matters  of telematic performance, technical and conceptual issues and the creative preparations of our joint multi-site productions.