Re: Art History Online and timelime

Johannes Birringer <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 4 Oct 2013 14:27:14 +0100

while agreeing with Jon Thomson's initial observation, i'd just like to pick up a small point he is making - about a time line.

The last two "times lines" I saw painted or pressed against a wall, one at the Tate Modern (Tanks) and one at the Wellcome Foundation in London a couple of weeks ago (for the exhibit "Thinking with the Body")
were, in my mind, relatively awful, selective, radically incomplete, biased, contextualizingly perverse,  anglo-american-euro-centric, monolingual.

I will write later about my memories of online discussion groups, participation in such groups or lists, and the kind of ideas or discourses generated - in their particularities (as some of the lists I have been involved in are
dance or performance specific, or may have been connected to particularized artistic research projects, such a telematic performance from 2000 onward, connecting sites for dance and media experimentation, thus of perhaps no consequence for a "writing of history".....except however partaking n practice and in generating new techniques, and along wth them, new concepts or revised concepts of what constitutes a "distributed multi-site performance"], but I'd like to ask actually, beforehand, whether you ever felt you were making art history? [or interested in a new form of online "book" of art & performance discourse]?

Or perhaps such memories are always anecdotal, and thus appear important to the individual?

Josephine Bosma correctly raises questions about the "historiography" or method used, if I understand her. Josephine could you please elaborate on your recent comment:
>>For me it is important to move beyond simple preconceptions about art and the Internet. I am not entirely sure whether the subject 'art history online' covers this topic.>.

I am also suspicious of the notion of an "art history online", but I think the discussion about the archive and the repertoire has already begun here, and from just today's host of postings (still opening some of them), this promises to be a redhot October.

regards
Johannes Birringer
director, DAP Lab
School of Arts
Brunel University
London  UB8 3PH   UK
http://www.brunel.ac.uk/dap

[Thomson, Jon scheibt]

It's great to see a variety of experience and memory indicated here already that can still make it back to the early eighties.  Perhaps after the month's discussion is up a time line could be established and published online charting the information that will have been forthcoming?  Would that be a crumb friendly activity?

I know there are some other attempts to do this kind of thing out there already, but it's always interesting to compare them as they do tend to vary somewhat for whatever reasons ;)