Help for BASEES-MEMBERS Archives

BASEES-MEMBERS Archives

BASEES-MEMBERS@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

BASEES-MEMBERS Home

BASEES-MEMBERS  September 2013

BASEES-MEMBERS September 2013

BASEES STUDY GROUP FOR 20TH-CENTURY LITERATURE AND BEYOND/CONTEMPORARY RUSSIAN CULTURAL STUDIES, SOCIETY, HISTORY, POLITICS, ECONOMICS, ETC....

Rosalind Marsh <[log in to unmask]>

Rosalind Marsh <[log in to unmask]>

Fri, 27 Sep 2013 02:54:43 +0100

[Resent: JISCMAIL had a hiccup last time]
For the attention of the BASEES Committee too

Dear colleagues or potential colleagues,

I am sending this message to the whole BASEES list and the
19th-century literature study group list, as there appears to be no
established list for the 20th-century literature/cultural studies
group  (please correct me if I?m wrong).

I have to apologise for my previous lack of action on this front since
BASEES 2013. As those of you who regularly attend the BASEES
conference, especially the AGM, you will know that, in response to
complaints from several colleagues, I had been trying to get this
study group, which I founded when I was President, out of the slough
of despond into which it appeared to have sunk over the last 3 years.

At BASEES 2012 I therefore volunteered to take over the job of Chair
again, although I warned that I probably would not be able to arrange
a conference in 2013, even though I hoped to be in a position to
organize one in Oxford in 2014, ideally in its traditional month of
September.

In order to gain funding for such a conference, we need to establish a
panel in the name of the 20th/21st century group at the next BASEES
conference. Profuse apologies again ? for personal and family reasons
I have only just realized that under the new, professional (or unduly
harsh, for the elderly Slavist?!) system, panels or papers need to be
agreed by the end of September (I think ? I could be wrong)...

I thus request that anyone for whom this group was dear, or simply
interesting and helpful (e.g. for postgraduates presenting papers to a
sympathetic, small audience, with funding, if possible), and who has
already had a panel on 20th- and 21st-century literature or cultural
studies accepted (or encouraged) for BASEES 2014 might be willing to
present themselves as the official panel of the BASEES 20/21st century
study group. I would, of course, be more than willing to chair such a
session, or even be a paper giver or discussant, if it is on any
subject that I know anything about ...

Second possibility: I would be happy to chair and/or offer a paper on
a panel provisionally entitled ?Culture and Protest in Contemporary
Russia?.  Please note that this could include ?culture? in a wider
sense, e.g. political, business, ethnic, gender, sexual, disability,
philosophical, religious, linguistic, etc., as well as all the arts
and cultural theories, not just literature. This corresponds more to
my interdisciplinary or multidisciplinary interests, though there may
be some dissent at a future AGM ...

I would particularly welcome offers from the contributors or potential
contributors to my edited book with the provisional title of ?Culture
and Protest in Contemporary Russia?. You know who you are ? and yes, I
apologise again to you.  I will be in touch again soon on this subject
  too.

If I tell you that I am not very good at using my 94-year-old father?s
computer, you might have some idea what has been happening to me
recently. But from both your and my points of view, deadlines for the
ghastly REF must surely be in by now....

  Note for the current membership secretary (is it Judy or Elena?):
I keep hearing from colleagues, especially from the older generation,
whether they are paying or not, but used to be involved in national
Slavonic Studies, that they are not receiving any information from
BASEES. As in my time, there are also many postgraduates whose
supervisors don?t know, or don?t tell them, about BASEES. I might be
able to help on this score if/when life gets better for me.

I will be cross-posting to other lists, but I also request that anyone
who knows that someone interested in these subjects is missing
(whether young, old or in-between) will tell them a.s.a.p.  Oxford,
Cambridge and London immediately spring to mind, or is that just
because I know them better? (Scotland always seems to be more on the
ball !!!! ? that is irony, by the way, English, Welsh, Irish, and
foreign friends.)

I earnestly request that anyone who has a positive response to my
proposition(s) email me at this address, but with a copy to my friend
[log in to unmask], as he ALWAYS reads his email, wherever he is
(currently in Romania, I think).

If I don?t find 2/3 other keen people by the current deadline, I
request compassionate leave to submit a panel a little later.

All the best,
                             Rosalind Marsh,

Emeritus Professor of Russian Studies, University of Bath; former
President of BASEES; Academician of Social Sciences; alleged current
head of 20th and 21st -century literature/cultural studies group.