ARCHAEOBOTANY@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

ARCHAEOBOTANY Home

ARCHAEOBOTANY  August 2013

ARCHAEOBOTANY August 2013

Re: Cotton finds

"PELLING, Ruth" <[log in to unmask]>

The archaeobotany mailing list <[log in to unmask]>, PELLING, Ruth

Wed, 21 Aug 2013 16:55:28 +0100

Dear Charlene

There are a number of North African finds, not all fully published. I had it from the Fazzan, southern Libyan Sahara  in the 3rd-4th centuries AD which I interpret as local cultivation probably in response to declining global markets - the most up to date publication will be out in the Autumn and contains various other references to finds in northern Africa. I suspect it is reaching the Fazzan from the Egyptian oases.

Pelling, R. (2013) The archaebotanical remains (Chapter 18) and Botanical data appendices (Chapter 28), in D.J. Mattingly, C.M. Daniels, J.N. Dore, D. Edwards, A. Leone and D.C. Thomas (eds), The Archaeology of Fazzan, vol 4, Survey and Excavations at Old Jarma (Ancient Garama) Carried Out by C.M. Daniels (1961-1969) and the Fazzan Project (1997-2001), pp 473-94 and pp 841-52. Society of Libyan Studies/Department of Antiquities: London.

Also reported in

Pelling, R. (2005) Garamantian agriculture and its significance in a wider north African context: The evidence of the plant remains from the Fazzan Project. The Journal of North African Studies 10 (3-4), 397-411.

Mary Anne Murray had it from an early Islamic merchant town of Tadmakka/Essouk in northern Mali which is certainly trade.

Nixon, S., M. A. Murray, and D. Q Fuller (2011) Plant use at an early Islamic merchant town in the West African Sahel: The archaeobotany of Essouk-Tadmakka (Mali). Vegetation History and Archaeobotany 20 (3): 223-39.

Dorian Fuller and I also have large numbers from 8th or 9th century Volubilis, Morocco - unpublished as yet. Likely to be processing on a fairly large scale - very possibly imported.

On the Inner Niger Delta there are archaebotanical finds from AD1000-1600 deposits at Dia

Murray, S. S. 2005. The archaeobotanical research. In R. M. A. Bedaux, J. Polet, K. Sanogo and A. Schmidt (eds.), Recherches archéologiques à Dia dans le delta intérieur du Niger (Mali): bilan des saisons de fouilles 1998-2003. Mededelingen van het Rijksmuseum voor Volkenkunde Series no. 33 Research School CNWS, Leiden: Leiden University: 386-400.

And Gao at a similar time

Fuller, D. Q, 2000 The botanical remains. In Insoll 2000: 28-35,  Insoll, T. 2000. Urbanism, Archaeology and Trade, Further Observations on the Gao Region (Mali). The 1996 Field season Results. Oxford: British Archaeological Reports (S829).

Best wishes

Ruth

Dr Ruth Pelling

Senior Archaeobotanist