VAR-L  August 2013

VAR-L August 2013

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: VAR-L Digest - 31 Jul 2013 to 1 Aug 2013 (#2013-111)

Ron Smyth <[log in to unmask]>

Sat, 3 Aug 2013 02:20:37 -0400

Check out L2 research by e.g. Tracey Derwing and Murray Munro.  People
with foreign accents can be rated low on intelligibility (a sort of
irritation factor) while listeners may have understood them well enough to
score as high on their understanding of the content as those who heard
native speakers.

I was embarrassed on my first trip to Edinburgh by the fact that I
couldn't grasp the name of a fellow who introduced himself to me in a pub.
After a few repetitions I asked him how to spell his name. The answer?
Gordon Fraser.  The fact that this is another dialect of my native
language may or may not be relevant.  When I moved to Argentina I had
trouble with the dialect, e.g. 'sh' for 'y'. When I ordered a pizza and
the fellow asked me if it was 'para llevar' I was completely lost because
it sounded like "shave-ar".  It took more than a month to reinterpret the
voiceless fricative.

Bill Labov's NWAV talk on inter-dialect confusion a couple of years back
was hilarious because often the confusions lead to bizarre
misinterpretations.
ron

Ron Smyth, Associate Professor
Psychology and Linguistics
University of Toronto

On Sat, 3 Aug 2013, Troike, Rudolph C - (rtroike) wrote:

> Beverly's report reminds me that when my (now) wife, Muriel Saville-Troike, was teaching at
>
> Texas A&M, she found that a group of students from Costa Rica were having trouble understanding
>
> their Texas instructors. She had the faculty members record their lectures and put them in the language
>
> lab, then had the students listen to them. I had a student from Nigeria with an M.A. from England tell
>
> me that for his first six weeks in Illinois, he was not able to understand one professor, though he sat
>
> in the front row to hear better, and suddenly one day he found that he was able to comprehend. (I
>
> must admit that when watching British comedies on PBS, I have to turn up the sound -- the old folk-
>
> notion of speaking louder may have some truth to it!).
>

> Thanks to John for initiating this discussion, which has been one of the best for some time. When
>
> Texas was integrating its schools in 1968, I worked with the Texas Education Agency on a project
>
> to educate white teachers ahead of class integration to prepare them for understanding the African
>
> American students they would be teaching (since intelligibility was asymmetrical, we did not have
>
> to prepare African American teachers the same way -- they just had to be disabused of their own
>
> misconceptions of AAE, which of course they had learned from whites). To prepare the white
>
> teachers, we recorded students from local schools and had teachers listen to the tapes, and even
>
> learn to transcribe them phonemically. (Before we started the project, we heard of one white
>
> teacher who found a girl in her classroom whose speech was intelligible to her, and used her as
>
> an interpreter for other students in the class whom she couldn't understand!)
>

>    Rudy Troike
>
>    University of Arizona
>
>    Tucson, Arizona
>
>    USA

 from the upstairs Linguistics department...).  In my grad classes, and even undergrad classes, I usually spent a week on AAE and several days on Appalachian English, not only for the sake of my foreign students but also for my usually urban and northern Americans.

> Beverly Flanigan
> Athens, Ohio

 nts, witnesses, defendants, job seekers say!  This is an area crying out for research.