Help for GEM Archives

GEM Archives

GEM@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

GEM Home

GEM  July 2013

GEM July 2013

Re: The DfE Cultural Education Plan is finally out!!!

Peter Lane <[log in to unmask]>

Peter Lane <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Jul 2013 10:15:50 +0100

Oh dear! Where should I start? It's exactly what I feared when the Gove/ Vaizey think tank uttered its first words on their version of "culture".
Their trumpeted intention is in "opening the doors to rich cultural experiences ... what may be for many, the beginnings of a life-long enjoyment and appreciation of the arts.”

One definition of culture is: "The totality of socially transmitted behaviour patterns, arts, beliefs, institutions, and all other products of human work and thought".
So where in their "culture" does science sit?

In  appendix A, Clare Tickell does include science "... literacy, mathematics, expressive arts and design, and understanding the world."
I have only skim read the document but that is the only mention of anything close to meeting my personal understanding of "culture".

Allowed to go unchallenged this could be "goodbye" to the inclusion of natural history, geology, history of science and technology etc etc" in mainstream museums. Curiosity and clarification is the basis of most human culture - that includes science doesn't it?

Good luck to all the potential recipients of the funds. Who is to manage their distribution ...? Oh, of course, it's the Arts Council isn't it.

Cheers!
Peter

Peter Lane,  Learning Officer
Museum Education Team