Help for NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Archives

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING Home

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING  May 2013

NEW-MEDIA-CURATING May 2013

Re: The Way We Share: Transparency in Curatorial Practice

© Robbins <[log in to unmask]>

© Robbins <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 13 May 2013 12:29:11 -0700

Hi all,

Some snippets of thought from a lurker ... and appreciation in advance for your indulgence.

Randall,  thanks so much for the reminder of the 1970 exhibition - The Information Show - that was emblematic of an era.  This also fell into a legacy of MOMA exhibitions from the mid-20thc and public funding.  And as we all realize,  those times stand in oppositional contrast to where we find ourselves today sited in a relatively privatized cultural millieu.  The question, of course, is if we could we envision a more public cultural rupture to the inscriptions of exhibition display that are  positioned within a largely private, influential cultural institution.  In all honesty, I doubt that the public funding for MOMA has shifted dramatically since the 1940's, as it has largely been underwritten by the Rockefeller family.

Coincidentally to our discussion of great "historical (keyword) moments of "transparency" in curatorial practice, was an article in this morning's NY Times - which culminated in a hopeful sentiment of "the climate is changing and New Yorkers can make themselves heard when it comes to shaping the public realm."
Defending a Scrap of Soul Against MoMA.      (http://www.nytimes.com/2013/05/13/arts/design/?ref=arts&_r=0)

Michael Kimmelman offers a critical framing of MOMA's intent to demolish an adjoining building ( ironically, the American Folk Art Museum ) it recently purchased.  His article bears a degree of relevance at least to the larger context in which we all find ourselves.   Please trust me as I believe there is a point here - although one must lean-in to connect the dots ( apologies for my unabashed attempt to use every cliche possible in one phrase:)

Kimmelman makes two salient points that beg simplicity, yet have a resonance we may take to heart:

1. "The backlash revealed a surprising antipathy toward MoMA. Not so long ago, it was the art museum New Yorkers loved and identified with; it seemed familial, its scale personal. It had a special place in the city’s heart."   "“It’s just not a place for New Yorkers anymore,” he said.
"I thought about that progression. Years ago, 53rd Street between Fifth and Sixth Avenues was a pokey Midtown cross street. The Modern, smaller yet somehow more distinctive, was tucked into the middle of the block with an entrance that, from the front doors, looked straight through the garden to the town houses on West 54th Street: a view from the city back into it. The Modern was in and of the urban fabric. Its ethos was embedded in the street grid, its architecture dovetailing with the art inside, so much of it consonant with the syncopated rhythms and complex geometry of New York.

Today, West 53rd Street is a monotonous corporate corridor."

Moving on to:

2.  "By contrast, the former folk museum, with its textured, tooled facade like a Paul Klee or the hinged door of an ancient temple, is a skinny little chess whiz in a college classroom of jocks, a clever outlier on the street, a work of artisanal sculpture whose idiosyncrasy is in keeping with the objects it was conceived to house.
It’s a relief on the block, representing the diversity vital to healthy streets — not a perfect building, not even its architects’ best work. But its unembarrassed, luxuriant materiality, its small scale and vulnerability, all qualities that the Modern now seems to reject, belong no less than the glass tower to the messy story of Modernism and city life.   "

Yes, the arguments are all too familiar as they inhabit their roles of oppositional contrast.  Nonetheless, the argument's validity seems to lie in an underpinning of a truth held in these contested tensions.  But is it then more of a question of our cultural values and to seriously offer a critical analysis of how we, ourselves, have changed in the early 21st .   The mechanisms and instruments of robo-urban planning and re-iterative corporate cultural practices have been embedded seemingly within every domain - physical and virtual.   Where then lies an authentic appreciation and understanding of the individual idiosyncratic, artistic experimentation and, (yes, to more-over to grease the wheels of corporate funding) innovative thinking ?  .... And where are the networks of stalwart cultural producers and institutions that are willing to initiate, create the energy and and resonance .... make the stand and have the tenacious courage, commitment  and strength - time and time again?

I hope we may find some of that here .... as the instance cited below of Parker Ito's paintings speak to such.

Again, many thanks for your indulgence ( and time!)

Chris

On May 13, 2013, at 11:20 AM, Randall Packer wrote:

> [...]
>> Once the curator's finished a thought, we'll raise questions from
>> Twitter.
>> It's been a great way to engage with our online audience, and allows them
>> to get a more dynamic feel for the shows.
>>
>> + *Thorough digital archive.  *We consulted with a master's student,
>> Geetha
>> Pedapati, from Michael Connor's "Art of the Archive" class at ITP on how
>> document and distribute our exhibitions, which resulted in an extensive
>> digital archive.  Now every exhibition has a single URL prior to, during,
>> and following an exhibition which includes the press release, images,
>> dates, related events, video documentation, press links, and individual
>> pages for each work in order of appearance.  Here's an
>> example<http://319scholes.org/exhibition/notes-on-a-new-nature/>
>> .
>>

>> I'm curious to hear about the approaches and strategies you're using to
>> bridge the online/physical audiences.  Any links, notes, or thoughts would
>> be much appreciated!
>>
>> All the best,
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 21, 2013 at 6:43 AM, Tyzlik-Carver, Magda <
>> [log in to unmask]> wrote:
>>
>>> Dear CRUMB,
>>>
>>> I have been a frequent lurker on the list for some time now. And even
>>> though I haven't posted on the list before I have found many of the
>>> topics
>>> very interesting and thought provoking. So thanks CRUMB and all on the
>>> list
>>> for continuing those conversations here.
>>>
>>> The current theme is very relevant to my interest and research into
>>> curatorial practices and in particular what I have been exploring
>>> within my
>>> PhD research and also within my practice, that is the link between
>>> curating
>>> and commons. That link, in short, is partly based on the recognition
>>> that
>>> curating and Œcommoning¹ (a term which describes practices that
>>> reproduce
>>> the common; see (Linebaugh 2008; Linebaugh 2010; An Architektur 2010)
>>> are
>>> particular forms of organising and arranging space, time, relations,
>>> resources, etc.  I am interested in the potential that has on curatorial
>>> practice, namely how Œcommoning¹ can influence and act upon Œcurating¹,
>>> as
>>> well as vice versa.
>>>
>>> I used number of various online tools (wikis, skype, blogs, IRC) in
>>> different configuations and arangements within the space of Internet as
>>> well as the gallery,  to support curatorial events which I initiated.
>>> The
>>> core of my project is not exactly on how to use those tools for
>>> curating,
>>> but my focus is on practices that can be developed with the support of
>>> those tools within an event or activity which is framed by the
>>> context. Examples of this are my projects playing practice