Help for JISCMRD Archives

JISCMRD Archives

JISCMRD@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

JISCMRD Home

JISCMRD  May 2013

JISCMRD May 2013

Re: Controlled access to data in EPrints

"Corti, Louise" <[log in to unmask]>

Corti, Louise

Wed, 15 May 2013 11:01:35 +0000

Hi all,

I don't think it is true that all depositors will want registration. But, there is nothing wrong with providing data freely to everyone under a simple registration procedure. It is not against the spirit of open access. Almost everything useful on the internet requires submitting a user name/password these days, and the majority users don't have a problem with that (of the reward is good enough).  I don't think we should get too hung on up assuming we need to open up all data to everyone with no accountability at all - breaches of any user conditions are much harder to deal with when one has no information about the user, and one foresakes any ability to usefully measure and report on who is using your research material (it can come in handy and depositors may claim a right to know).

At the UKDS, we have been discussing registration and while it may be against the principle of OGL (though if an archive adds a lot of value the licence situation becomes complex), it does not contravane providing open access to data, if anyone can use it for any purpose.

In my view we should be worrying about the use of CC0 for data and metadata (where ownership may be more complicated), which I believe goes against good research practice which we try to instil into our students - attribution and citation of the original (true) source.

Best,
Louise