JISC-REPOSITORIES  April 2013

JISC-REPOSITORIES April 2013

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Comments on RIOXX 0.91 from OpenAIRE and COAR

Andy Powell <[log in to unmask]>

Andy Powell <[log in to unmask]>

Mon, 8 Apr 2013 16:21:32 +0000

text/plain

> ## Response to comments on the application profile (v0.91) ### dc:creator
> * we are not using dc:creator, having established rioxxterms:creator for this purpose. ID is a valid attribute in rioxxterms:creator

Just a quick follow-up to my previous comment...

I think it is somewhat dangerous to adopt an approach which says we need to define a new property simply because we want to add a new attribute to that property in one particular encoding (in this case XML). Such an approach is particularly problematic in an encoding environment that lacks any method of carrying assertions about property semantics other than by convention (as is the case with XML).

(Note: if you were defining rioxxterms:creator to have different semantics from dc:creator then defining a new property would be OK... but I don't think you are doing that?).

How dangerous?

Well, that's difficult to say, but my gut feeling is that choosing rioxxterms:creator rather than dc:creator will fragment this application away from other DC-based applications with an overall loss of interoperability. (But I accept that it is hard to estimate how serious the consequences of that will be).

Andy Powell
Head of Product Research

Eduserv

[log in to unmask] | 01225 474 319 | 07989 476 710
www.eduserv.org.uk | http://www.twitter.com/andypowe11 | http://blog.eduserv.org.uk | http://www.linkedin.com/company/eduserv

Eduserv is a company limited by guarantee (registered in England & Wales, company number: 3763109) and a charity (charity number 1079456), whose registered office is at Royal Mead, Railway Place, Bath, BA1 1SR.