PHD-DESIGN  February 2013

PHD-DESIGN February 2013

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: The Bibliography Behind A Theory of Design Thinking

Ranjan MP <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Feb 2013 08:53:37 +0530

text/plain

Dear Chuck

I had already posted the message directly to the PhD-Design list since I
felt that this would be appropriate and help develop a discussion on the
various routes that each of us have used to arrive at a fairly common set
of knowledge resources as well as beliefs about a subject and this was in
particular reference to the area of Design Theory and Design Thinking. Your
list is a wonderful effort to share your personal route and it reveals the
journey that you have made and sets many of your papers in perspective
while giving us a glimpse of your position along the way.

I realised these differences in approaches when I compared my own list of
sources with that of Fritzjof Capra's bibliography offered at the back of
his books when he was dealing with the subject of systems thinking and
sustainable models for human futures, areas that I too have been writing
about over the years. My own list varied quite a bit but we had arrived at
much the same conclusions and the difference was that he was using
primarily scientific sources while was using sources from design and
architecture and there were few overlaps. This reminds me of the
discussions on this list that spoke of two sides of a river in spate, the
two banks on which we stand are quite divided and there do not seem to be
too many bridges that connect the two it seems!!

A chronological listing of sources is not adequate to figure out the manner
in which the concepts were assimilated by an author or even a community of
scholars since we know that the papers may have existed after they were
penned but these may have been accessed only when the author either made
contact with the paper or when they were intellectually ready to access and
understand the content in the process of transforming their own belief
system through engagement and study. History is replete with such parallel
routes and all of human knowledge flows in uneven ways from East to West
and North to South as well as from one discipline to another where the
boundaries seem to be quite watertight and the transmission takes a lot of
time. The path to knowledge and to ignorance is quite convoluted and
meandering indeed especially at the leading edge.

Yes, your call for other list members to share their bibliographies is in
order and we will all be the wiser from such a sharing. Bernhard Burdek has
pointed out another difficulty and that is that of language. I can access
only resources in English and must wait for advanced concepts from other
languages to be translated and filtered down for us to make access and use
these in some meaningful way. Google translate, as it gets better may help
bridge this gap, but the resources must be made available in the first
place for us to be able to access these. Today design scholarship is moving
to many local languages in Asia as well and we will need to look at many
new sources for insights to inform and sustain design thinking and design
theory in the future.

With warm regards

M P Ranjan
from my Mac at home on the NID campus