CALL FOR PAPERS (World Leisure Journal)
Special Issue: Leisure, Health, and Well-Being
Guest Editor: Professor Karla A. Henderson (North Carolina State University)
Article Due Date: 1 November 2013*
Publication Date (Approximate): Volume 56, Issue 2, 2014
This special issue of the World Leisure Journal will focus on exploring and encouraging further research and opportunities to promote health through leisure. The World Health Organization (WHO) defined health in a broad sense in 1946 as a state of physical, mental, and social well-being, and not just the absence of disease or illness. Leisure as it is embodied through contexts and settings such as the arts, sports, recreation, parks, tourism, and events offers numerous options for people to engage in healthy behaviors. This special issue will cover a range of topics and perspectives with contributions from international authors. Empirical research (both qualitative and quantitative), systematic reviews, and examples of evidence-based practice pertaining to leisure and health are invited. All submissions will be peer-reviewed.
Examples of topics for this special issue include, but are not limited to, the following:
· Conceptual and theoretical issues related to physical, mental, social, and spiritual health.
· Health-based leisure programs that have been implemented successfully and evaluated using evidence-based research.
· Local, regional, and global trends and developments and their impact on human health.
· Contributions that leisure makes to environmental and economic health as well as personal health.
· The importance of collaborations and partnerships to promote healthy leisure.
· Validated instruments that have been developed and used to measure various dimensions of physical and mental health.
· How leisure contributes to community and national health care systems/agendas.
*Potential authors are strongly encouraged to contact the guest editor ([log in to unmask]) to discuss potential submissions to assure topics fit the special issue.
Manuscript Submission Procedure
Submit to: Guest Editor Professor Karla Henderson [[log in to unmask]]
The complete style and reference guide can be found at: http://www.informaworld.com/rwleor in the back cover of recent issues of the Journal. In brief:
(1) All manuscripts must be in English and must not exceed 5000 words all inclusive. Manuscripts that exceed this limit will not be reviewed until they conform.
(2) Manuscripts must be double spaced in 12 pt New Times Roman.
(3) Manuscripts must adhere to the Publication Manual of the American Psychological Association (APA, 6th edition).
(4) Manuscripts should be sent as e-mail attachments in doc or rtf formats.