GEM  February 2013

GEM February 2013

Subscribe or Unsubscribe

Log In

Get Password

Re: Draft National Curriculum online HISTORY

Liz Egan <[log in to unmask]>

Liz Egan <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 7 Feb 2013 16:15:10 -0000

text/plain

Well this has caused some debate.
Just wanted to put my  humble opinion in- Surely the issue here is not
diversity. British History is what it is- and we need to educate the younger
generations on the facts of exactly what happened in the past, in order for
them to learn for the future. If there seems to be a focus on White England,
then surely this is because (and I hesitate to write this in fear of being
jumped upon)that is what this country was for many years.
I for one am thankful that this country has changed and is a wonderful
diverse place with so much heritage to offer, however surely it is important
to look at how we got here and what lessons have been learned- which means
that our children must learn about the 'white ruling classes' of our past.
And as Don says, the slave trade and British Empire are quite rightly
mentioned and surely it is impossible for these topics to be broached
without diversity. Also the citizenship curriculum clearly mentions
diversity as a key learning element.
I do largely agree that this proposal does seem to cram a great deal into
the curriculum but I for one feel that the chronological approach is a
positive and logical approach. It will definitely mess up the offer we
currently have here and I foresee a great deal of hard work to change and
adapt  our led sessions but I feel maybe we should embrace these new ideas
instead of immediately jumping on them.
I will now retreat :)
Thanks

Liz

Liz Egan
Education Officer

Thackray Museum
Beckett Street
Leeds
LS9 7LN
01132444343

www.thackraymuseum.org

please note I do not have an out of office assistant

http://www.facebook.com/thackraymuseum

http://www.justgiving.com/thackraymedicalmuseumltd/donate