Re: test( some passing thoughts)

Mandy Meikle <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 29 Jan 2013 11:17:12 -0000

text/plain

Great email Mark! I totally agree that if we really did care about reducing
carbon emissions and healing the planet we would be concentrating on
renewables at home and an economic policy geared towards less of everything.
I had a good chat with an Any Answers researcher on Sat about this when I
heard people referring to the triple-dip recession. Triple-dip? When will
the multiples stop? It's dips all the way down! All wealth stems from
natural resources and we are reaching, for want of a better phrase, the
limits to growth. Sadly, I didn't get on air.

As for anything geared towards equitable distribution, localism,
sustainable self-sufficient purposefulness....and social and economic
justice, well we can dream! The scrabble for unconventionals has shown me,
beyond doubt, that we will not choose a sustainable or equitable future. We
will continue trying to green up business as usual so the corporations can
skim off the profits, until the whole system fails to operate. Then we will
change, but not by rational choice. Change forced by fear and disorder is
never good! My answer to this realisation has been to get involved with my
local community. We'll see where that goes. But the reason we are not
changing our ways is not because we don't 'know' there's a problem - it's
because we choose to ignore it and hope it goes away.

And to Richard, who just posted, it's great to hear from you! I've met a few
people on this forum who seem to think that because they don't have academic
status, their point of view isn't valid. Not true! I joined this forum not
long after it formed, as it turns out, in 2004. Over the years, I've raised
the issue of peak oil, which received a mixed response. Yet, here we are:
conventional oil output peaked around 2005/6 and we're racing to get the
last dregs of low-energy returning, highly polluting unconventionals (e.g.
tar sands, shale gas and oil, coalbed methane). Of course there are still
conventional reserves (e.g. the Arctic, Africa and so on) but in small
amounts compared to what we have come to rely on. And the more energy that
goes in to extracting them, the less there is left to 'do work' with.

We do need to speak out against the current economic system and be honest
about our dire situation - as Mark says, holistically. Of course I hope my
gloomy predictions for the future are wrong but nothing I'm seeing backs
that up.

Did anyone see Prof Brian Cox's latest on Sunday eve? So good to hear energy
being talked about like that on mainstream TV. But maybe that's just me!

Mandy

http://mandymeikle.wordpress.com/
@powerdowngirl