Help for PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN Archives

PHD-DESIGN@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

PHD-DESIGN Home

PHD-DESIGN  November 2012

PHD-DESIGN November 2012

Re: Looking for other constructive design researchers

Carlo Franzato <[log in to unmask]>

Tue, 6 Nov 2012 09:17:33 -0200

Dear Marianne,

Why do you call this concept "constructive design research", but also
"research through design"? This could lead you toward misunderstandings.

In my interpretation, a constructive approach focuses on the dialogue
between designers and problematic situations, as in Schön.

While research through design approach focuses on the shortcuts that
designers operates facing problematic situations, pulling new knowledge
that could be useful not only for design purposes, but also for scientific
advance. Some references:

   - Buchanan, R. et al. (eds.), Doctoral Education in Design 1998;
   Proceedings of the Ohio State Conference. Pittsburgh, PA: School of Design,
   Carnegie Mellon  University, 1999.
   - Frayling, C. (1993). Research in Art and Design. Royal College of Art
   Research Papers, 1(1), 1–5.
   - Friedman, K. (2003). Theory construction in design research: criteria:
   approaches, and methods. Design Studies, 24(6), 507–522.
   doi:10.1016/S0142-694X(03)00039-5
   - Jonas, W. (2007). Design Research and its Meaning to the
   Methodological Development of the Discipline. Design Research Now, 187–206.
   Retrieved from http://www.springerlink.com/index/p320034k2j608623.pdf
   - Keyson, D. (2009). Empirical research through design. Conference on
   Design Research, 4548–4557. Retrieved from
   http://www.iasdr2009.org/ap/Papers/Special Session/Assessing knowledge
   generated by research through design/Empirical Research Through Design.pdf
   - Newbury, D. (1996). Knowledge and research in art and design. Design
   Studies, 17(2), 215–219. doi:10.1016/0142-694X(95)00025-M
   - Stolterman, E. (2008). The nature of design practice and implications
   for interaction design research. International Journal of Design, 2(1),
   55–65. Retrieved from
   http://www.ijdesign.org/ojs/index.php/IJDesign/article/view/240/148
   - Zimmerman, J., & Forlizzi, J. (2007). Research through design as a
   method for interaction design research in HCI. Proceedings of the SIGCHI,
   1–10. Retrieved from http://dl.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=1240624.1240704

> Dear List members,
>
> I'm a PhD student at Middlesex University, London, UK. I focus on making
> online face-to-face communication easier for older people by employing
> constructive design research as my method (http://teletalker.org). I
> would like to make sure that I apply the method most effectively and
> although have read about it*, feel that I could learn more from practical
> research examples in context.
>
> I'm calling all 'constructive design reseachers' or researchers using
> 'research through design' who are currently working with this method or
> have so in the past to either reply to this mailing list or to email me
> directly on [log in to unmask]
>
> I would like to learn from your experience applying the method. In
> particular, what are the pitfalls to look out for? Where do you feel you
> had spent more time than anticipated? What do think was unnecessary in
> hindsight? Why do you feel 'constructive design research' was more
> applicable than other research methods for your investigation?
>
> For your guidance I'm grateful (in advance).
>
> Marianne Markowski
>
> *Literature for constructive design research:
>
> Bardzell, S., Bardzell, J., Forlizzi, J., Zimmerman, J., & Antanitis, J.
> (2012). Critical Design and Critical Theory: The Challenge of Designing for
> Provocation. DIS (pp. 288 – 297). Newcastle, UK.
>
> Basaballe, D. A., & Halskov, K. (2012). Dynamics of Research through
> Design. DIS (pp. 58–67). Newcastle, UK.
>
> Gaver, W. W. (2012). What should we expect from research through design?
> CHI’12 (pp. 937 – 946). Austin, Texas.
>
> Koskinen, I., Zimmerman, J., Binder, T., Redstrom, J., & Wensveen, S.
> (2011). Design Research Through Practice: From the Lab, Field, and
> Showroom. Morgan Kaufmann.
>
> Zimmerman, J., Stolterman, E., & Forlizzi, J. (2010). An Analysis and
> Critique of Research through Design : towards a formalization of a research
> approach (pp. 310–319). Aarhus Denmark: DIS 2010.
>
> Marianne Markowski
> Middlesex University
> Website: http://adri.mdx.ac.uk.contentcurator.net/marianne-markowski
> Blog: http://researchseniorfriendsonline.blogspot.com/
> Linked In: http://uk.linkedin.com/pub/marianne-markowski/6/328/596

Carlo Franzato
Pesquisador do PPG em Design
Escola de Design UNISINOS
www.unisinos.br/design
Rua Luiz Manoel Gonzaga, 744 - Três Figueiras
90470-280 - Porto Alegre (RS)
Tel +55. 51. 35911101
Fax +55. 51. 35911204