GNHRE@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

GNHRE Home

GNHRE  November 2012

GNHRE November 2012

News from CLIMsystems

Anna Grear <[log in to unmask]>

Global Network for the Study of Human Rights and Environment <[log in to unmask]>, Anna Grear <[log in to unmask]>

Thu, 29 Nov 2012 10:49:02 +1300

Dear GNHRE network members,

I am delighted to pass onto you a news update from our partner,
CLIMsystems. As you can see - they are doing some really exciting
work.

Warm regards,

Anna

Dear Members of the CLIMsystems Users Group

We wanted to post a quick update before some of us head off to the COP in Doha.

1] For those on the list attending the COP in Doha Dr. Peter Urich and
Dr. Peter Kouwenhoven will be attending from 28 November through the
5th of December. We can be found at the Qatar World Cup 2022 booth n
the Exhibition Hall and we will also be at the Demo Alley at the US
Pavilion on the evening of the 5th of December. Contact Peter Urich by
emial <[log in to unmask]> or Peter Kouwenhove
<[log in to unmask]> if you would like to set up a meeting or
have demo of some of our new products and services.

2] CLIMsystems is happy to announce that we are working with our
partners CH2M HILL on providing downscaled AR5 climate patterns for
Doha. We are also conducting a detailed climate risk assessment for
consideration by the Government of Qatar in the design of
infrastructure and other services pertaining to the delivery of the
World Cup in 2022. For details on methods and examples of risk
assessment outputs drop by the FIFA World Cup booth mentioned above.

3] We are also very happy to announce that we are now ESRI Silver
Partners. This is all part of a plan to develop tools for ArcGIS based
on SimCLIM technologies. We have developed a Beta version of the
scenario generator for the toolbar in ArcGIS and it and climate
patterns will be available for purchase online from the CLIMsystems
website next week.   We recently attended the ESRI Asia Pacific Users
Conference in Auckland. We had a booth and gave a paper presentation.
We thank those that dropped by the booth to talk about different
climate risk and adaptation assessment needs that you have. We also
had a nice display of newly generated outputs using the ArcGIS tool
and visualisation technology. We are very excited about the prospects
of working ever closer with Jack Dangermond and the team at ESRI and
our local partners Eagle Technology.

4] Several staff just returned from a productive couple of trips to
Asia. We attended the first APN (Asia Pacific Network) meeting in
Guangzhou, China. That included folks from China, South Korea,
Thailand, Viet Nam, the Philippines and India. The subject was
UrbanCLIM developments and building relationships for developing
statistical and dynamically downscaled patterns for Asia and reaching
out to end users in China, the Philippines and Viet Nam for urban case
studies. The meeting was a huge success and the next get together will
be held in New Zealand in 2013. Last week week we visited the Mekong
River Commission in Vientiane, Laos and also conducted a GENIES
workshop in Ha Noi. Both activities resulted in some strong
relationships being build and continued strong growth in interest in
SimCLIM, our downscaling services and the rapidly evolving GENIES
technology. We look forward to the opportunities discussed last week
coming to fruition in 2013.

5] Dr. Yinpeng Li will be attending the American Geophysical Union
meetings in San Francisco in early December. Contact Yinpeng
<[log in to unmask]> if you would like to meet him or see some
demonstrations of software at the AGU.

6] If we get too busy and run out of time before the holidays we had
better wish you a joyuous holiday period and Happy New Year now! We
look forward to servicing your climate change risk assessment needs in
2013.

The CLIMsystems Team.