Help for MEDIEVAL-RELIGION Archives

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION Archives

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION Home

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION  October 2012

MEDIEVAL-RELIGION October 2012

Re: Feasts and Saints of the Day: October 28

John Dillon <[log in to unmask]>

medieval-religion - Scholarly discussions of medieval religious culture <[log in to unmask]>

Sun, 28 Oct 2012 19:20:43 -0500

> Further to Simon and Jude:
>
> A revised set of visuals for these saints should be forthcoming in the near future.

As was foretold:

Portrayals:

Simon and Jude as depicted in the earlier sixth-century mosaics (betw. 527 and 548) of the triumphal arch in the basilica di San Vitale in Ravenna :
S.: http://www.kornbluthphoto.com/images/VitaleChancelArch1.jpg [photograph courtesy of Genevra Kornbluth]
J.: http://tinyurl.com/8rsfukd

Simon and Jude (extreme left and extreme right, respectively) as depicted in the earlier sixth-century triumphal arch mosaics (carefully restored, 1890-1900) of the basilica Eufrasiana in Poreč:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratluk/4850319093/lightbox/

Simon's martyrdom as depicted in the late tenth- or very early eleventh-century so-called Menologion of Basil II (Città del Vaticano, BAV, Vat. gr. 1613):
http://tinyurl.com/28drapg

Simon and Jude (at left, the emperor Henry III [d. 1056]) in a full-page illumination in the mid-eleventh-century Emperor's Bible or Codex Caesareus Upsaliensis, formerly at Epternach (Uppsala, Universitetsbibliotek, cod. C 93):
http://tinyurl.com/37dbpqg

Somewhat less impressively, Simon and Jude (at right; at left, the emperor Henry III) on the reverse of one of Henry III's coins:
http://tinyurl.com/2g9aa5h

Simon (at left) as depicted in the earlier twelfth-century apse mosaics (1148) of the cathedral of Cefalù:
http://tinyurl.com/3633y9d

Simon as depicted in the later twelfth-century Ascension fresco (betw. 1176 and 1200) in the church of St. George in Staraya Ladoga (Leningrad oblast):
http://www.icon-art.info/hires.php?lng=en&type=11&id=1430

Simon and, in all probability, Jude (at the viewer's left of the seated figure) and a bit of what may be their martyrdom (the seated figure is Atticus, in legend Simon's persecutor) as depicted in the later twelfth- or early thirteenth-century frescoes in the santuario di Maria SS. Regina (a.k.a. Santa Maria d'Anglona) at Tursi (MT) in Basilicata:
http://tinyurl.com/95wwn8x
http://tinyurl.com/8ufwhy6
Detail view (S. and, in all probability, J.):
http://tinyurl.com/8n9fhfm

Jude as depicted in an early thirteenth-century window in Lincoln cathedral (photograph by Gordon Plumb):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22274117@N08/2257957045/

The Simon and Jude window (ca. 1220-1225) of the cathedral of Notre-Dame at Chartres, with scenes from their Passio (for detail views, click on the numbered panels at right):
http://tinyurl.com/9ch4sbs

Simon and Jude as depicted in the thirteenth-century mosaics of the Ascension cupola in Venice's basilica di San Marco:
S.: http://tinyurl.com/2g4g3l7
J.: http://tinyurl.com/25ztkah

Simon (very probably; at left, with the cross on which he is said to have been martyred) as depicted in the later thirteenth-century alte Pfarrkirche St. Cyriakus in Niedermendig, an _Ortsteil_ of Mendig (Lkr. Mayen-Koblenz) in Rheinland-Pfalz:
http://tinyurl.com/8e5qsl7

Jude (very probably; at right, with the clubs with which he is said to have been martyred) as depicted in the later thirteenth-century alte Pfarrkirche St. Cyriakus in Niedermendig, an _Ortsteil_ of Mendig (Lkr. Mayen-Koblenz) in Rheinland-Pfalz:
http://tinyurl.com/2fumbf6

Simon and Jude as depicted in the later thirteenth-century frescoes of the ceiling of the baptistery of Parma:
S.: http://www.cattedrale.parma.it/img/voltabatt/55-simone_Z.jpg
J.: http://www.cattedrale.parma.it/img/voltabatt/53-taddeo_Z.jpg

Simon and Jude as portrayed in the late thirteenth-century pier statues in the choir of  Köln's cathedral of St. Peter and the BVM:
S.: http://www.koelner-dom.de/index.php?id=16754&L=1
J.: http://www.koelner-dom.de/index.php?id=16737&L=1

The martyrdoms of Simon and James as depicted in the late thirteenth-century (ca. 1285-1290) Livre d'images de Madame Marie (Paris, BnF, ms. Nouvelle acquisition française 16251, fol. 70r):
http://tinyurl.com/367scnm

An expandable view of the martyrdoms of Simon and James as depicted in a late thirteenth-century copy of French origin of the _Legenda aurea_ (San Marino, CA, Huntington Library, ms. HM 3027, fol. 148r):
http://tinyurl.com/23svh5f

Simon's martyrdom as depicted in a May calendar scene in the earlier fourteenth-century frescoes (betw. ca. 1312 and 1321/1322) in the nave of the monastery church of the Theotokos at Gračanica in, depending upon one's view of the matter, either the Republic of Kosovo or Serbia's province of Kosovo and Metohija:
http://tinyurl.com/262wyrv

Simon and Jude as depicted in earlier fourteenth-century panel paintings (ca. 1320) from the workshop of Simone Martini, now in the National Gallery of Art, Washington, DC:
http://tinyurl.com/25hrvtm

Simon and Jude as depicted in an earlier fourteenth-century panel painting (ca. 1324-1325) by Ugolino di Nerio, once part of his now dismembered Santa Croce Altarpiece and now in the National Gallery in London:
http://tinyurl.com/yha7k85

The martyrdoms of Simon and Jude as depicted in an earlier fourteenth-century illustrated collection of French-language saint's lives (Paris, BnF, ms. Français 183, fol. 53r):
http://tinyurl.com/2wfojoh

Simon and Jude as depicted in an earlier fourteenth-century copy (1348) of the _Legenda aurea_ in its French-language version by Jean de Vignay (Paris, BnF, ms. Français 241, fol. 286r):
http://tinyurl.com/36wvlnh

Simon and Jude as portrayed (in this view right of center, just around a corner from the BVM) on the late fourteenth- or early fifteenth-century tomb (ca. 1400) of St. Wendelin in his basilica in Sankt Wendel in the Saarland:
http://tinyurl.com/8d89nc4

Simon as depicted in the later fourteenth-century frescoes (1360s and 1370s; restored in 1968-1970) of the church of St. Demetrius in Marko's Monastery at Markova Sušica (near Skopje) in the Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia:
http://tinyurl.com/5tqfaxa

Jude as depicted in fresco (ca. 1440) by Bicci di Lorenzo, formerly in the cathedral of Florence and now in its Museo dell'Opera del duomo:
http://tinyurl.com/yhmo9m5

Simon and Jude as depicted in a glass window (ca. 1440-1450) in the Church of St. Mary, Orchardleigh (Somerset; photographs by Gordon Plumb):
S.: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22274117@N08/2490918776/
Detail view (S.): http://www.flickr.com/photos/22274117@N08/2490098431/
J.: http://www.flickr.com/photos/22274117@N08/2490116547/
Detail view (J.): http://www.flickr.com/photos/22274117@N08/2490936478/

Simon (at right; at left, St. Matthew) and Jude (at left; at right, St. Matthias) as depicted in fifteenth-century tracery panels of the same window in the Church of St Mary the Virgin at Melbury Bubb (Dorset; photograph by Gordon Plumb):
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22274117@N08/3480767394/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/22274117@N08/3479960857/

Jude (very probably) as portrayed with his club in a mid-fifteenth-century alabaster statue (betw. ca. 1450 and 1460) in the Philadelphia Museum of Art (photographs courtesy of Genevra Kornbluth):
http://www.kornbluthphoto.com/images/PMAApostle1.jpg
http://www.kornbluthphoto.com/images/PMAApostle2.jpg
http://www.kornbluthphoto.com/images/PMAApostle3.jpg

Simon and Jude overcoming demons in the presence of magi and of the king of Babylon as depicted in a later fifteenth-century copy (1463) of Vincent of Beauvais' _Speculum historiale_ in its French-language version by Jean de Vignay (Paris, BnF, ms. Français 50, fol. 335v):
http://tinyurl.com/yjht8us

Simon and James accused by Magi as depicted in an even later fifteenth-century copy (ca. 1480-1490) of Vincent of Beauvais' _Speculum historiale_ in its French-language version by Jean de Vignay (Paris, BnF, ms. Français 245, fol. 148v):
http://tinyurl.com/yfsrxtx

The martyrdoms of Simon and Jude as depicted in hand-colored woodcuts in the Beloit College copy of Hartmann Schedel's _Nuremberg Chronicle_ (1493):
S. (fol. CVIIv): http://tinyurl.com/9vusjwo
J. (fol. CVIIr): http://tinyurl.com/997h3ez

Simon (at left, with the saw by which in the later Middle Ages he is often said to have suffered; at right, St. Andrew) as portrayed in a panel of the high altar (1503 or 1504) of the Münster St. Marien und St. Jakobus in Heilsbronn in Bavaria:
http://tinyurl.com/yhe4wkc

Dedications:

Views of what's left of the originally later eleventh- / earlier twelfth-century Stiftskirche St. Simon und Judas at Goslar in Niedersachsen:
http://tinyurl.com/9tgtuaz
http://tinyurl.com/yhucppm [NB: there are several views on this page]
http://tinyurl.com/276pokh

An illustrated page on the originally twelfth-century Church of St Simon and St Jude, Bramdean (Hants):
http://tinyurl.com/8uugtsx
Another view:
http://tinyurl.com/8znp84n

An illustrated, English-language page on, and some single views of, the originally thirteenth-/fifteenth-century H.H. Simon en Judaskerk in Ootmarsum (Twente) in Overijssel, restored most recently in 1969-1973 with a chiefly interior renovation following in 2003:
http://www.archimon.nl/overijssel/ootmarsumsimon.html
http://tinyurl.com/yztao5d
http://tinyurl.com/yfguvta
http://www.pbase.com/pijkkuiperi/image/89641665
http://www.flickr.com/photos/94171975@N00/17450027/
http://tinyurl.com/yla4okk
Plan:
http://www.dbnl.org/tekst/fock001duiz01_01/fock001duiz01ill032.gif
Choir:
http://tinyurl.com/yjysamj

Views of the mostly earlier fourteenth- (1329-C15) / nineteenth-century Saint Thaddeus monastery near Maku in Iran's province of West Azarbaijan (the areas of dark or alternating dark and light stone, which give the site its name in Turkish, Kara Kilise ("Black Church"), are fourteenth-century; the light sandstone is modern):
http://www.futuropasado.com/images/monsantadeo03.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/yzlt2k9
http://armenianstudies.csufresno.edu/arts_of_armenia/images/55.jpg
http://tinyurl.com/yztqpej
http://tinyurl.com/yhwpkkh
http://tinyurl.com/yz3hksd
An illustrated, English-language account:
http://tinyurl.com/yf3c3t5

Two illustrated pages on the mostly fourteenth-century former church of St Simon and St Jude in Norwich (whose interior was drastically altered in 1952):
http://tinyurl.com/5wj9az
http://tinyurl.com/26ynodx
Another view:
http://tinyurl.com/6d376q

Views of the originally fifteenth-century Pfarrkirche SSt Simon und Judas in Bad Sassendorf (Lkr. Soest) in Nordrhein-Westfalen:
http://tinyurl.com/yhaw7zf
http://tinyurl.com/ykqjerp
http://tinyurl.com/yhp7nwr

Best,