Help for JISCMRD Archives

JISCMRD Archives

JISCMRD@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

JISCMRD Home

JISCMRD  October 2012

JISCMRD October 2012

Re: Call for interest in 'DOIs for Datasets workshop'

"Ensom, Tom" <[log in to unmask]>

Ensom, Tom

Wed, 31 Oct 2012 15:48:41 +0000

An important point raised at the JISC meeting last week by Tom Parsons (during the metadata and identifiers session), is that the EPSRC Policy Framework stipulates that:

"Where the research data referred to in the metadata is a digital object it is expected that the metadata will include use of a robust digital object identifier (For example as available through the DataCite organisation - http://datacite.org)."
Excerpt from Expectation 5, EPSRC Policy Framework on Research Data (http://www.epsrc.ac.uk/about/standards/researchdata/Pages/expectations.aspx)

Whether or not this is to be taken absolutely literally I'm not sure. DataCite is presented as an 'example', but as far as I'm aware it is the *only* DOI registration agency for data. I wonder if 'digital object identifier' was mistakenly used as a generic term, equivalent to 'persistent identifier'?

Best,
Tom

Tom Ensom
RDEssex (www.posterous.com/rdessex)