Help for JISCMRD Archives

JISCMRD Archives

JISCMRD@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

JISCMRD Home

JISCMRD  October 2012

JISCMRD October 2012

Re: Call for interest in 'DOIs for Datasets workshop'

Steve Welburn <[log in to unmask]>

Steve Welburn <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Oct 2012 12:28:16 +0100

On 17 Oct 2012, at 11:41, Robin Rice wrote:

> Am I the only one that questions the appropriateness of DOIs for institutional data repositories?

We shouldn't be having to ask for systems to create identifiers just because we want to publish data. In fact, I think identifier systems should be fundamental infrastructure. Assuming reasonable persistence of institutions and some snappy little domain names (ed.ac.uk, qmul.ac.uk) I think that local redirection / identification systems could be a great solution - using domain specific URLs rather than generic handles or DOIs also reinforces the identification of provenance. Alternatively, an identifier service at JISC level could provide identifiers (possibly via handles) across institutions.

If, at some future date, a digital object gets a "proper" DOI, then a light-weight identifier can just be redirected to the new DOI as the official ID.

> It seems on the whole that these (our) repositories are fairly immature to be adopting DOIs (unlike UKDA and NERC, for example).

> What is the driver for emerging institutional data repositories to adopt the DataCite system as opposed to other (more lightweight?) systems of persistent identification? Is it really a top priority for making our repositories robust, discoverable, well-used, cited, sustainable, and trusted, with the limited resources we have? Our repository has been up since 2009 (using handles) and we've never had a depositor ask for DOIs.

So long as identifiers resolve to a single location the handle and DOI infrastructures both seem overkill. If funders expect data to be held in institutional repositories then flexible systems for moving data to new locations anywhere on the internet are not required. If institutions have to provide different identifiers based on the type of content (DOIs for data from DataCite, handles for green OA papers / theses etc. etc) then it will not produce a more robust infrastructure.

> In short guess I'd support a workshop that considered some of these broader questions rather than taking one particular answer as a given.

Yup.

Steve Welburn