Help for JISCMRD Archives

JISCMRD Archives

JISCMRD@JISCMAIL.AC.UK

JISCMRD Home

JISCMRD  October 2012

JISCMRD October 2012

Re: Call for interest in 'DOIs for Datasets workshop'

Sarah Callaghan <[log in to unmask]>

Wed, 17 Oct 2012 07:05:03 +0000

Dear Bill,

I am very interested in your proposed workshops and I think I might be able to help shed some light on the whole process, as I've recently been involved in exactly the same thing for NERC's subject-based data centres.

I'm project manager of the NERC Science Information Strategy's Data Citation and Publication project, which has in the past year or so implemented a method for assigning DOIs to datasets held in the NERC environmental data centres (such as the British Atmospheric Data Centre, where I work). This has involved lots of interactions with various people, as well as lots of complicated discussions about what exactly is a dataset, and what conditions have to be in place for it to be cited using a DOI.

I'm also project manager for the JISC MRD PREPARDE project, looking at issues in data publication in collaboration with journals, which includes asking the question of how can a repository be accredited/prove that they're appropriate for being a DOI-minter. We're planning a workshop on the topic at the Digital Curation Conference in January.

We've written a couple of papers about the work we've done so far (for the NERC project):

•	Sarah Callaghan, Roy Lowry, David Walton. "Data Citation and Publication by NERC’s Environmental Data Centres". March 2012, Ariadne Issue 68 http://www.ariadne.ac.uk/issue68/callaghan-et-al

•	"Making Data a First Class Scientific Output: data citation and publication by NERC’s environmental data centres"- Sarah Callaghan, NCAS British Atmospheric Data Centre at 7th International Digital Curation Conference, 5 - 7 December 2011, Bristol, UK, published in the International Journal of Digital Curation, Vol 7, No 1 (2012) http://www.ijdc.net/index.php/ijdc/article/view/208

I also have an on-line lecture about citing data on my data citation blog at http://citingbytes.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/lunchtime-lecture-to-british-geological.html

Best wishes,
Sarah

Dr Sarah Callaghan MInstP CPhys FRMetS